FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   What is the future of Hong Kong in the United痴 Asia Route Network? Alternatives? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2081340-what-future-hong-kong-unitedis-asia-route-network-alternatives.html)

Kmxu Dec 22, 2022 2:29 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 34855034)
Isn't 857 UA's highest-grossing flight? I'd be shocked if they don't bump it back up to daily as soon as they are permitted to do so, with EWR/ORD not far behind.

April EWR and ORD flights are still on schedule. I think that there will be issues in dealing Russian airspace for these two flights.

lsquare Dec 22, 2022 2:39 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 34854968)
I have been doing quite a bit of SIN-SFO lately and flights are usually packed in all cabins.
I did a personal trip recently and it was the first time I failed to clear upgrade on transpac flight in 14 years on SFO-SIN. Not only I could not get into Polaris or Premium Economy, I could even get E+. That is how packed UA's SIN-SFO-SIN flights are these days.

I've flown a combination of UA1/2/28/29 about nine times rt this year. UA doesn't seem to have trouble filling the plane.

jp12687 Dec 22, 2022 3:51 am

I am hoping they restore EWR-HKG soon. Although I知 worried what the price will be. Used to be $7500-8500 on average round trip and I知 worried it値l be more like double that

JimInOhio Dec 22, 2022 6:23 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 34854968)
I have been doing quite a bit of SIN-SFO lately and flights are usually packed in all cabins.
I did a personal trip recently and it was the first time I failed to clear upgrade on transpac flight in 14 years on SFO-SIN. Not only I could not get into Polaris or Premium Economy, I could even get E+. That is how packed UA's SIN-SFO-SIN flights are these days.

Out of curiosity, I looked last night at about four current and very recent SIN-SFO UA flights. All of them were full in J and PE but very open in Y (both E+ and E-).

Lifetimenotelite Dec 24, 2022 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by jp12687 (Post 34855173)
I am hoping they restore EWR-HKG soon. Although I知 worried what the price will be. Used to be $7500-8500 on average round trip and I知 worried it値l be more like double that

I had coworker just flew to SIN. He went ANA from East Coast as UA biz fare was ridiculous.

If you want UA metal to SIN you have limited options now that SIN-NRT and SIN-HKG flights went away on UA birds all ANA codeshare now.

Bear96 Dec 24, 2022 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 34855034)
Isn't 857 UA's highest-grossing flight?

No one here has (or can share) that info.

I have seen so many posts over the years here claiming a flight from the poster's local airport happens to be "the most profitable in the system" or somesuch.

It's about the network.

PsiFighter37 Dec 24, 2022 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by jp12687 (Post 34855173)

Doubt they will fly the route anytime soon given the issues with flying over Russian airspace - the transpolar routing can稚 be used nowadays.

lsquare Dec 28, 2022 6:56 am

So HK announced further relaxation of its COVID rules. No more testing on arrival and fear of quarantine anymore! Do you guys think UA will fly SFO-HKG in March? I'm really tempted to make a reservation, but don't want to give UA an interest-free loan if they have no intention of flying!

JNelson113 Dec 28, 2022 6:59 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 34870557)
So HK announced further relaxation of its COVID rules. No more testing on arrival and fear of quarantine anymore! Do you guys think UA will fly SFO-HKG in March? I'm really tempted to make a reservation, but don't want to give UA an interest-free loan if they have no intention of flying!

Just coming here to post about it! Yes, I think that they will! https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage

UA_Flyer Dec 28, 2022 9:40 am

It is confirmed:UA 877 leaves SFO at 10:20 pm and arrives HKG at 6 am

UA 862 leaves HKG at 12:20 pm and arrives SFO at 8:45 am
https://www.traveldailynews.asia/uni...en-hong-kong-a

Longboater Dec 28, 2022 12:46 pm

This looks pretty official to me. That said, this will likely be the sole HKG flight for a while given ORD/EWR-HKG are no-gos with the lack of Russian airspace flying. The 787-9 could probably make ORD-HKG work avoiding Russian airspace, but I really wonder how anxious UA is set on resuming that flight. My guess is the next HKG resumption will be SFO-HKG going double daily.

lsquare Dec 28, 2022 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 34871704)
This looks pretty official to me. That said, this will likely be the sole HKG flight for a while given ORD/EWR-HKG are no-gos with the lack of Russian airspace flying. The 787-9 could probably make ORD-HKG work avoiding Russian airspace, but I really wonder how anxious UA is set on resuming that flight. My guess is the next HKG resumption will be SFO-HKG going double daily.

I would prefer SFO-HKG to go 2x daily. People in the rest of the US can always connect at SFO. With two dailies, it should be good enough to allow people to get to HK.
​​​​​​

jsloan Dec 28, 2022 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 34871733)
I would prefer SFO-HKG to go 2x daily. People in the rest of the US can always connect at SFO. With two dailies, it should be good enough to allow people to get to HK.
​​​​​​

SFO is 1500 miles out of the way for a traveler coming from EWR, and 1000 miles out of the way for someone coming from ORD.

Longboater Dec 28, 2022 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 34871733)
​​​​​​

Depends on demand. At this point, I am not even sure ORD-HKG would be profitable, even with the 787-9. Better focus on filling 77Ws at SFO.

Longboater Dec 28, 2022 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 34871740)
SFO is 1500 miles out of the way for a traveler coming from EWR, and 1000 miles out of the way for someone coming from ORD.

And SFO is located where flying over Russian airspace is a non-issue. It is problematic from ORD/EWR. As I said earlier, the 787-9 might work on ORD-HKG but I am not sure if that route could be successful at this point in time. EWR-HKG was the stronger market before the pandemic.