FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2081340-what-future-hong-kong-unitedis-asia-route-network-alternatives.html)

FlytheTail Dec 17, 2022 7:37 am

More changes to planned resumption of HKG service. March flights (2nd to 24th) that were showing 77W SFO-HKG (2x) and EWR-HKG) (1x) have been trimmed to 772 SFO-HKG (1x). Hard to imagine they will return to two daily SFO-HKG flights anytime soon.

oopl Dec 17, 2022 7:09 pm

Interesting they're only doing the 11:50pm departure out of SFO with this change. Less time for the plane to sit at HKG perhaps?

moondog Dec 17, 2022 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by oopl (Post 34843192)
Interesting they're only doing the 11:50pm departure out of SFO with this change. Less time for the plane to sit at HKG perhaps?

The 840a arrival on the return allows people to connect with non red-eye transcons ex SFO. This wouldn't be important if they had EWR and/or ORD in play.

bmwe92fan Dec 17, 2022 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by FlytheTail (Post 34841803)
More changes to planned resumption of HKG service. March flights (2nd to 24th) that were showing 77W SFO-HKG (2x) and EWR-HKG) (1x) have been trimmed to 772 SFO-HKG (1x). Hard to imagine they will return to two daily SFO-HKG flights anytime soon.

I hate to point out the obvious -- but no one wants/ needs to got to HKG any more - China really messed this one up....

UA_Flyer Dec 17, 2022 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan (Post 34843430)
I hate to point out the obvious -- but no one wants/ needs to got to HKG any more - China really messed this one up....

Agree that there may not be enough business demand for this route.

Probably one flight a day from SFO is more than sufficient at this moment.

moondog Dec 20, 2022 9:24 pm

I'm not sure where else to post this, but yesterday's HKG-GUM flight didn't make it so far:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL2831

uanj Dec 20, 2022 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 34851760)
I'm not sure where else to post this, but yesterday's HKG-GUM flight didn't make it so far:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL2831

That's a ferry flight, in HKG for maintenance and then returning to service.

HkCaGu Dec 21, 2022 6:58 am

Originally Posted by uanj (Post 34851955)
That's a ferry flight, in HKG for maintenance and then returning to service.

Including this plane, I counted 7 total UA 767s/777s sitting in HKG awaiting or undergoing maintenance, interior renovation or repainting. A few more in XMN too. It's more a reputation concern for HAECO's reputation than UA.

lsquare Dec 21, 2022 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu (Post 34852618)
Including this plane, I counted 7 total UA 767s/777s sitting in HKG awaiting or undergoing maintenance, interior renovation or repainting. A few more in XMN too. It's more a reputation concern for HAECO's reputation than UA.

Why is this work being done in Asia and not in the US?

HNLbasedFlyer Dec 21, 2022 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 34853853)

Cost

jp12687 Dec 21, 2022 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 34853853)

HKG has long been the upgrade base. It did the majority of the Polaris upgrades.

id also imagine a lot of the upgrade materials/supply chain comes out of China.

Lifetimenotelite Dec 21, 2022 9:01 pm

For me the big change was when UA started SFO-SIN.

Prior to that I had to take BOS-ORD-HKG-SIN to get to SG. All UA metal. Those days ended and what allowed me to easily get MM.

Then UA metal for NRT-SIN and HKG—SIN went away so when I was still living in Asia it became impossible to snag and occasional UA bird especially SIN-NRT

HKG airport has memory for me I’ll never forget landing there at night jet lagged after sitting in a crappy E- seat as a no status newbie traveler. I remember that first work trip like it was yesterday.

I don’t see how UA can make it long term in Asia. Biz seats SIN-SFO are going for $12k the days of low cost P fares a distant member. I recently flew ANA for half the cost of a UA biz ticket.

Basically ICN, SIN, TPR, and NRT

HKG dying. PVG flight dead. No bkk at all.

I don’t even look at UA for asia long haul anymore, either work or personal.

Im not flying much for work right now but with fares so high my job would not approve the ridiculous fares UA is charging.

I used Philippines air to get biz seat to manila and then took SQ to SIN in C was way cheaper last fall.

dkc192 Dec 21, 2022 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Lifetimenotelite (Post 34854723)
I don’t see how UA can make it long term in Asia. Biz seats SIN-SFO are going for $12k the days of low cost P fares a distant member. I recently flew ANA for half the cost of a UA biz ticket.

If UA is charging $12k J fares for SIN-SFO/US, then it almost certainly is getting some pax to pay those fares, or else it would lower the fares. So I don't think UA is sweating the performance of at least SIN, if not most of their Asian network (the exceptions being HKG and China).

UA_Flyer Dec 22, 2022 12:19 am

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 34854849)
If UA is charging $12k J fares for SIN-SFO/US, then it almost certainly is getting some pax to pay those fares, or else it would lower the fares. So I don't think UA is sweating the performance of at least SIN, if not most of their Asian network (the exceptions being HKG and China).

I have been doing quite a bit of SIN-SFO lately and flights are usually packed in all cabins.
I did a personal trip recently and it was the first time I failed to clear upgrade on transpac flight in 14 years on SFO-SIN. Not only I could not get into Polaris or Premium Economy, I could even get E+. That is how packed UA's SIN-SFO-SIN flights are these days.

moondog Dec 22, 2022 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Lifetimenotelite (Post 34854723)
HKG dying. PVG flight dead. No bkk at all.

Isn't 857 UA's highest-grossing flight? I'd be shocked if they don't bump it back up to daily as soon as they are permitted to do so, with EWR/ORD not far behind.