Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

What is the future of Hong Kong in the Unitedís Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

What is the future of Hong Kong in the Unitedís Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

Old Sep 24, 22, 7:40 pm
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Aren't the tests free and easy?
I see your perspective- for my expat friends who live in Shanghai, they are so used to getting tested by now that itís nothing for them.

But thatís not the case for many people in the west, and itís definitely considered a hassle for some. (Not to mention the whole quarantine issue if you test positive.)
jsloan, lsquare and 8MiHi like this.
Old Sep 24, 22, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Even if they are, theyíre competing with places that wonít have any tests at all.

And itís only partially about the tests. Itís also about the consequences of a potential positive test.
If I ever had a positive RAT test, I simply wouldn't do a PCR test again until got negative or sick. I realize that HK is different from Shanghai because the HK rules only apply to the first ~7 days, whereas it's a fact of life for us here, but I haven't heard reports of anyone being hauled off to Penny's Bay for failing to show up for PCR tests. They want to avoid putting potential positives in contact with testers.
Old Sep 24, 22, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
It's a huge step forward as it now makes it possible at least to contemplate visiting my son who's living there. However, it will take more for me to do anything other than contemplate a visit!
My sympathies for your situation - this could be a full 3 year gap?

Hopefully UA can provide some positive updates on HKG service restart soon. And loaded accurately in the ďTravel ReadyĒ section of the app/website

(Assuming you enjoy meeting him)
Old Sep 24, 22, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw View Post
I see your perspective- for my expat friends who live in Shanghai, they are so used to getting tested by now that itís nothing for them.

But thatís not the case for many people in the west, and itís definitely considered a hassle for some. (Not to mention the whole quarantine issue if you test positive.)
That's because the process is incredibly convenient. We have a seemingly unlimited supply of RAT kits, and PCR test kiosks are never more than 600 meters away from all points inside Middle Ring. As I mentioned in my last post, if I were ever to get a positive RAT, I wouldn't do a PCR test. The drawback to this is that without a recent green code, you can't really go to any businesses or use the subways, but you can still walk or bike around outside, and food delivery is pretty robust.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Sep 24, 22, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Same here. Refuse to consider anywhere that requires testing before or after arrival. Luckily, that only narrows off a couple of countries.
dw, jsloan, artvandalay and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 24, 22, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I ever had a positive RAT test, I simply wouldn't do a PCR test again until got negative or sick. I realize that HK is different from Shanghai because the HK rules only apply to the first ~7 days, whereas it's a fact of life for us here, but I haven't heard reports of anyone being hauled off to Penny's Bay for failing to show up for PCR tests. They want to avoid putting potential positives in contact with testers.
Whether I get hauled off or not, the effect is similar if I canít leave HK.

Regardless, I agree with the previous poster ó I wonít be going anywhere where I need a test. There are plenty of other destinations available. If I had family there, that might be different, but for pure tourism purposes, Iíll just wait until theyíre ready for me.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 8:06 am
dw

Originally Posted by UAL250 View Post
Same here. Refuse to consider anywhere that requires testing before or after arrival. Luckily, that only narrows off a couple of countries.
Same here. As someone who used to travel the world pre-covid, I waited until the US dropped its pre-departure test requirement for re-entry before leaving the country for the first time since COVID. (And went to a country- Thailand- with no testing requirements.)
jsloan and lsquare like this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by worldtrav View Post
As far as I can see here is why I don't see the floodgates opening for visitors to HK:

Pre Arrival: Rapid Test
Arrival : PCR upon arrival

First 3 Days restricted movement, can go to grocery stores etc but not allowed in bars & restaurants.

Day 1: Rapid
Day 2: Rapid + PCR
Day 3: Rapid
Day 4: Rapid + PCR
Day 5: Rapid
Day 6: Rapid + PCR
Day 7: Rapid

If all clear at day 7 free movement. That's 12 tests.....
Correct. Up to 12 tests = soft demand.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Correct. Up to 12 tests = soft demand.
I was bored in late May, so I did 20 RATs over the span of five minutes to save for future use. Obviously, they are fast to do individually, but I didn't want to be bothered with the drill any more.

Last edited by moondog; Sep 26, 22 at 5:58 am
Old Sep 26, 22, 4:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...The drawback to this is that without a recent green code, you can't really go to any businesses or use the subways, but you can still walk or bike around outside, and food delivery is pretty robust.
And what does that mean to the reason for the trip for a tourist or business person.

Essentially HKG is only open for residents to travel.
Old Sep 26, 22, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
And what does that mean to the reason for the trip for a tourist or business person.

Essentially HKG is only open for residents to travel.
I was referring to Shanghai. HK doesn't have a similar system of constant testing.
Old Sep 26, 22, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
I looked into a roundtrip on UA metal to HKG in January and the fare was crazy, $4500 for the lowest economy fare. Reminded me of Singapore after it opened. I might have to wait a while to return to HKG.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 26, 22, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JNelson113 View Post
I looked into a roundtrip on UA metal to HKG in January and the fare was crazy, $4500 for the lowest economy fare. Reminded me of Singapore after it opened. I might have to wait a while to return to HKG.
Try KE, BR, CI, JL, NH, or SQ.
oopl likes this.
Old Sep 26, 22, 9:07 am
dw

In any case, if you need to be there, I wouldnít book anything on UA until we know theyíre actually going to resume the route.
Old Sep 26, 22, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have done UA/NH via NRT and UA/SQ via SIN for less than half of the fare quoted above (W fare) and upgraded using PP for the UA portion of flight.
SPN Lifer and oopl like this.

Search this Thread