Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Hong Kong has announced eliminating quarantine upon arrival and scrap the pre-arrival PCR test (RAP instead) starting Monday September 26.

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...ated-residents

Now, let's see how long it will take UA to restart its service to HK from SFO. Hope soon than later.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:15 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Hong Kong has announced eliminating quarantine upon arrival and scrap the pre-arrival PCR test (RAP instead) starting Monday September 26.

Now, let's see how long it will take UA to restart its service to HK from SFO. Hope soon than later.
Note that four PCR tests are required upon and after arrival.

This is good news for HK residents who are going abroad, for people going to HK to visit friends/family, and for people who have to go to HK for business. But probably few people outside those categories will be returning to HK until a further lifting of restrictions.
Kmxu and oopl like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
It all depends on what happens to crew members should they test positive during their layover.
dw, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Looking forward to the return of HKG flights. Hopefully the Jan 4 SFO-HKG will be moved up earlier.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by dw
Note that four PCR tests are required upon and after arrival.

This is good news for HK residents who are going abroad, for people going to HK to visit friends/family, and for people who have to go to HK for business. But probably few people outside those categories will be returning to HK until a further lifting of restrictions.
We used to do trade shows in HK, and loved visiting, but won't be going back even after the restrictions are gone. The business climate has permanently changed for the worst.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zombietooth
We used to do trade shows in HK, and loved visiting, but won't be going back even after the restrictions are gone. The business climate has permanently changed for the worst.
Not just the business climate.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

Still way to many hoops to jump thru for UA to even think about restarts.
dw, lsquare and UAL250 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:56 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
It all depends on what happens to crew members should they test positive during their layover.
Not just crew… but everyone. If one possibility is being sent to Penny’s Bay for a week, don’t think any foreigners will go for strictly leisure purposes (ie not visiting family).

Truth is, a lot of leisure travelers (myself included) won’t go anywhere where an on arrival PCR test is required. I used to go to HK every year on vacation as a stopover… finally returned to Asia this summer for the first time since COVID and ended up going to Thailand due to all testing requirements being lifted.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Yes!

Originally Posted by dw
Not just crew… but everyone. If one possibility is being sent to Penny’s Bay for a week, don’t think any foreigners will go for strictly leisure purposes (ie not visiting family).

Truth is, a lot of leisure travelers (myself included) won’t go anywhere where an on arrival PCR test is required. I used to go to HK every year on vacation as a stopover… finally returned to Asia this summer for the first time since COVID and ended up going to Thailand due to all testing requirements being lifted.
​​​​​​​I agree, but I think this is a big step forward.
dw likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
I agree, but I think this is a big step forward.
It's a huge step forward as it now makes it possible at least to contemplate visiting my son who's living there. However, it will take more for me to do anything other than contemplate a visit!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 24, 2022 at 3:08 am Reason: not the place for OMNI/PR comments
Old Sep 24, 2022, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
if UA can sustain a daily flight to Taipei during 2 1/2 years of Covid travel restrictions and quarantine requirements in Taiwan (recently also eliminated), I see no reason why UA cannot make a business case for one daily flight to SFO after HK doing away with the quarantine.
uanj and lsquare like this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Gold
if UA can sustain a daily flight to Taipei during 2 1/2 years of Covid travel restrictions and quarantine requirements in Taiwan (recently also eliminated), I see no reason why UA cannot make a business case for one daily flight to SFO after HK doing away with the quarantine.
I think it's mainly because the cargo contract alone is enough to sustain the route. On top of that, EVA have had extremely inflexible refund/change policy that led many people to book UA instead, given the stable flight schedule and reasonable pricing (S and R often wide open). SFO-TPE are very full on certain days of week and PP are often oversold.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 4:13 pm

As far as I can see here is why I don't see the floodgates opening for visitors to HK:

Pre Arrival: Rapid Test
Arrival : PCR upon arrival

First 3 Days restricted movement, can go to grocery stores etc but not allowed in bars & restaurants.

Day 1: Rapid
Day 2: Rapid + PCR
Day 3: Rapid
Day 4: Rapid + PCR
Day 5: Rapid
Day 6: Rapid + PCR
Day 7: Rapid

If all clear at day 7 free movement. That's 12 tests.....
8MiHi likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Aren't the tests free and easy?
Old Sep 24, 2022, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Aren't the tests free and easy?
Even if they are, they’re competing with places that won’t have any tests at all.

And it’s only partially about the tests. It’s also about the consequences of a potential positive test.
dw, SPN Lifer, m.y and 6 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.