Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can’t we have a dress code for Polaris Lounges?

Old May 30, 2022, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

Deleted…. I just don’t like where the thread went.

Further, as others have pointed out, it’s not right on my part to post a photo like this. My apologies.

I’ve notified the mod to remove the thread.

Last edited by zrs70; Jun 1, 2022 at 12:36 am
Old May 30, 2022, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I agree - a t-shirt at a minimum. And it should extend to UCs. He could've got one at the Harley shop or newsstand. Who wants to see hairy armpits (I assume), reaching over the buffet? Save it for the backyard.
Old May 30, 2022, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Looks like only line from UC rules (which, I would guess, extends to PLs) regarding attire is rule #1: "1. During your visit to a Lounge, we ask that your attire and conduct be consistent with the environment." UA leaves it to the receptionists, putting them at a disadvantage. They can't point to anything concrete, and therefore less likely to challenge. I would have told the guy to go buy a t-shirt (please). And then the guy would complain about paying for a $8000 ticket and being denied access and I would be reprimanded and he would have gotten a $250 ETC and wear the same tank top over the buffet next trip

Last edited by l etoile; May 31, 2022 at 5:35 am Reason: Removed quote of deleted post/comment
Old May 30, 2022, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't mind the tank top nearly so much as the people yelling into their cell phones or holding conference calls via speakerphone.
Old May 30, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't mind the tank top nearly so much as the people yelling into their cell phones or holding conference calls via speakerphone.
And for me it’s the bare feet ones….
Old May 30, 2022, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely agree about a dress code!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 30, 2022 at 7:21 pm Reason: Innapropriate comment for a diverse community
Old May 30, 2022, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by zrs70
First class (well, business) is about who we are, not where we sit.

this is from the lax Polaris lounge. Tank tops just shouldn’t be allowed.
i mean if it bothers you so much, avert your eyes (heard the phrase it's impolite to stare?). Did you get this guy's permission/consent for this photo? write a letter. petition for a change. Ask for compensation. FWIW dress/clothing/style has been evolving from the beginning of time. I am glad dress for travel is getting less formal and more comfortable.
Old May 30, 2022, 7:10 pm

Tank top and flip flops are fine. Thank goodness there is no dress code!
Old May 30, 2022, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I would agree that there should be a dress code for PLs if not onboard in First. However, given how things have devolved as well as devalued, flying in first and going to the lounges is not what it used to be.

David
Old May 30, 2022, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by prestonh
i mean if it bothers you so much, avert your eyes (heard the phrase it's impolite to stare?). Did you get this guy's permission/consent for this photo? write a letter. petition for a change. Ask for compensation. FWIW dress/clothing/style has been evolving from the beginning of time. I am glad dress for travel is getting less formal and more comfortable.
No, I didn’t get permission…

That said, there are certain things we shouldn’t have to smell.
There are certain things we shouldn’t have to hear.
There are certain thins we shouldn’t have to feel.
And there are certain things we shouldn’t have to see.

Unfortunately, so many believe we should have no filters. “Tell it like it is,” right?”

It shouldn’t be on my to avert all my senses. People should just have a little more class.
Counsellor, Lurch, edsh and 32 others like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by zrs70
No, I didn’t get permission…

That said, there are certain things we shouldn’t have to smell.
There are certain things we shouldn’t have to hear.
There are certain thins we shouldn’t have to feel.
And there are certain things we shouldn’t have to see.

Unfortunately, so many believe we should have no filters. “Tell it like it is,” right?”

It shouldn’t be on my to avert all my senses. People should just have a little more class.
Telling it like it is....if you didn't get permission imo probably should take the photo down. It wasn't a public place and iirc photos under uas policy are for personal use.

Again if the sight of bare shoulders offends you write a letter and look away. did someone force you to stare? Staring at someone is rude. Taking a photo of someone without their permission is ruder. Putting it on the internet might be a privacy offense.
awayIgo, chavala and physioprof like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I agree there should be a dress standard.... what that should or could be ... you shouldn't be able to see guy's armpits or anyone's non public orifices.

Harder to do with the lounge being part of the 'package' for an international premium ticket.
Lurch and Flying Machine like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
I don't want to be forced to smell someone's BO or overdone perfume, I don't want to be inundated with someone shouting on a conference call or being loud and boisterous.

But folks can wear what they want - their money is the same color as yours. Don't like it? don't look. No one is forcing you to people watch. MYODB.
Old May 30, 2022, 8:28 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Who wants to see hairy armpits (I assume), reaching over the buffet?
Why the comma?
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 30, 2022 at 9:53 pm Reason: let's aviod stero typing
Old May 30, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
But to sympathize with OP -- If you aren't Freddie Mercury, George Michael, or Justin Bieber -- leave the wife beater at home.....
JBa likes this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; May 31, 2022 at 9:50 am Reason: removed comment on deleted content

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.