Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can’t we have a dress code for Polaris Lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can’t we have a dress code for Polaris Lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Reminder we are talking about dress code in an UA lounge. This is not about other societal issues / dress codes elsewhere. Please constraint comments to the thread topic

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cricketer
I think in general, the "me, myself, and I" culture trumping basic societal consideration for others, is at the root of a lot of issues. We could have all the freedoms we want if we are individually able to act in the collective interest. No need for dragons and draconian rules at lounges if people are just considerate of others.

It's not hard to do either. In the SFO Centurion Lounge, if I need to take a call, my first option is to let an agent know that I'm going to use the kids room for my call, but if someone needs it please let me know and I'll move out. Which has happened before with no drama. If that room is occupied, I leave the lounge and find an empty gate area. The F-G walkway is often an option too. These things aren't tough to do if you take a minute to think of others.
What about the glass-doored rooms across from the customer service desk? You get a nice desk, chair, and a door so people can't hear you. I've taken a few meetings there before.

But I definitely appreciate doing it anywhere but out in the open.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
What about the glass-doored rooms across from the customer service desk? You get a nice desk, chair, and a door so people can't hear you. I've taken a few meetings there before.

But I definitely appreciate doing it anywhere but out in the open.
That's the Polaris lounge you're talking about, I believe. Definitely use those when I'm in there, and never had a problem finding one (or all) empty.

At least in the Polaris lounge there always seem to be unpopulated places you can escape to if other people are being noisy and obnoxious. Everyone is obsessively close to the food and bar, so the rest of the lounge is like a different planet even on a busy day. The Centurion lounge gives you nothing.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Oops, sorry, missed the word "Centurion". You're right.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I disagree. I would take the loud phone noise over that attire any day..

What about decorum?? I typically wear jeans a button down and a sport coat when I travel, I have a handy cashmere sweater in my briefcase when I hang up my jacket to be prepared if it gets cold on the plane just the way I like to travel

I actually took offense to that photo..
I took offense to it, too. But jeans??? Put on some grown-up pants!
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
I said Jeans, many times nice comfortable twill pants all coordinated etc
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I said Jeans, many times nice comfortable twill pants all coordinated etc
nothing wrong with a nice pair of jeans. I wear them all the time flying with a button down oxford and nice shoes.

The wifebeater however, I can pretty much assure you he didn't buy this tank top from Lululemon.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:59 am

Wearing a tank top to the airport is tacky. However, was the man respectful? Was he polite and kind to the staff? Was he clean and free of odors? Did he take his phone calls discreetly and not treat the lounge like his personal office? All those things are far more important to me than his tank top, even though I still think his attire is inappropriate outside of the beach.

I'd rather have a quiet guy in a tank top than "Mr. Big Shot" dressed up and bossing people around in the lounge and talking on speakerphone like he owns the place.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by n198ua
I’ve been flying for about 25 years now. I always wear at least khakis and a polo and bring a light jacket. Partly b/c I think you should get dressed up a bit when your flying, but mostly b/c I’m always cold. If you want to wear PJs or a wifebeater in first, I don’t agree with it, but thats my issue not yours. Wear whatever you want. I’m not going to lose any sleep over it, and until UA tries to enforce some kind of dress code, they’re not losing any sleep over it either. (Although I do think employees traveling non-rev regardless of cabin have to wear khakis at a minimum, don’t quote me on that but I thought I was told that once by a non-rev who was a seat-mate for a flight)
That’s correct, NRSA passengers have a strict dress code. When i used to pass travel on UA I would literally wear a sport coat, buttoned shirt; no jeans allowed. I would even go as far as to remove my ear piercings, I was representing my family member as an employee of the company. On Hawaiian Airlines the NRSA dress code is wildly lenient.

To the topic at hand:
When i feel like I have a good chance of getting an upgrade I might dress a bit nicer, if i’ve paid for the Polaris seat or the upgrade is confirmed and i’m flying overnight, i’m going to dress comfortably. I don’t want lay down horizontally and wrinkle nice clothes.Times have changed and people of different social status dress all kinds of way. Luxury fashion brands sell tons of sweatshirts, T-shirts, sweatpants as of late.

The Polaris Lounge is not a Country Club, thank god!
LETTERBOY, jp12687 and ARR72 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by evol
The Polaris Lounge is not a Country Club, thank god!
Reminiscent of Caddyshack - "The Snobs against the slobs", coming to a Polaris lounge near you.

Flying Machine and evol like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Reminiscent of Caddyshack - "The Snobs against the slobs", coming to a Polaris lounge near you.
And the Slobs always win
Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
How to Keep from Being So Easily Offended
SPN Lifer and chavala like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by chavala
And the Slobs always win
Must not be a movie buff. The gopher wins.

The first time I see a gopher in the salad bar at a Polaris lounge, then I'll be offended.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Um, not quite exactly. I was in a particular SCL Salon VIP last week that felt the necessity to paste the following on its tables, and I'm sure not without reason.

"Keep This a Chancho-Free Zone"

Probably for the American tourists.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.