Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can’t we have a dress code for Polaris Lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can’t we have a dress code for Polaris Lounges?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2022, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Adelphos
While I own many sport coats and cashmere sweaters, I imagine many travelers (including many booking Polaris) won’t even own either. This isn’t the 1960s
My problem is that I am never cold. I sleep on international flights without any coverings. However, I do get hot, and a jacket or sweater on a plane would be intolerable, especially on TK or NH. It's because of my Scandinavian ancestry, which also allows me to swim in 50 degree water without suffering.
Eastbay1K and jp12687 like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Interesting article from Forbes

Interesting article from Forbes, read the line about in the airport:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesb...ur-dreams/amp/

Last edited by Flying Machine; May 31, 2022 at 10:20 pm
Old May 31, 2022, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My dear late mother was just five months old when Varney Air Lines was founded. She was the type of “proper southern gentlewoman” who would not leave the house until she was “put together”. She wore make up to go grocery shopping. She would certainly have been bothered if I had worn the attire shown in that photograph at an airport. But she would have been totally appalled if I had taken a photo of a complete stranger and posted it online in order to make disparaging comments about someone I don’t even know.
Old May 31, 2022, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't mind the tank top nearly so much as the people yelling into their cell phones or holding conference calls via speakerphone.
That is probably my top annoyance about people in the lounge but I think it's about the same. I think it is most annoying in the sit-down dining area. Elsewhere, I can easily get up and move to avoid listening or looking at something objectionable. At the dining area, you're kind of stuck there. I can look away and I can put in earphones (and it blocks some of the noise out), but since I need to be able to interact with the waitress, I try not to block my ears.
Old May 31, 2022, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
I’ve been flying for about 25 years now. I always wear at least khakis and a polo and bring a light jacket. Partly b/c I think you should get dressed up a bit when your flying, but mostly b/c I’m always cold. If you want to wear PJs or a wifebeater in first, I don’t agree with it, but thats my issue not yours. Wear whatever you want. I’m not going to lose any sleep over it, and until UA tries to enforce some kind of dress code, they’re not losing any sleep over it either. (Although I do think employees traveling non-rev regardless of cabin have to wear khakis at a minimum, don’t quote me on that but I thought I was told that once by a non-rev who was a seat-mate for a flight)

Last edited by n198ua; Jun 1, 2022 at 2:38 am Reason: sp
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Interesting article from Forbes, read the line about in the airport:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesb...ur-dreams/amp/
This article should come with a warning that its geared towards sales/soft skill type jobs, or for people who search for/need to find validation outside themselves.

The airport part for anyone not wanting to waste their time:
“My son and I recently flew to Houston to pitch a new business opportunity to investors. We wore sharp suits that fit nicely and polished our shoes. When walking through the airport, we received compliments from three different people. Why? Take a look around the next time you go grocery shopping or pass through any airport. Dress standards are so low today that just wearing a nice suit made a contrast against a backdrop of overwhelming mediocrity.”
Strange how proud they are with themselves through an imagined sense of superiority because they got a couple of well-meaning/kind comments. Unless those comments included disparaging remarks about everyone else, it has nothing to do with the perceived “backdrop of overwhelming mediocrity”.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 1, 2022 at 10:37 am Reason: FTFY is a FT violation
Old Jun 1, 2022, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The MOST important clothing consideration!

There is one sartorial aspect of airplane travel that outranks ALL others by a wide margin.

It must not melt on one's body when exposed to flaming aviation fuel during an emergency evacuation.

And the second consideration is like the first. It should actually provide protection under such circumstances.

So exposed skin, whether on shoulders, arms, legs, feet, or elsewhere, is not wise if one wishes to maximize post-crash evacuation survival and minimize extraordinarily painful burns.

Natural fibers are best. Cotton, wool, or leather can withstand temperatures of hundreds of degrees while one runs through the heat. Polyester will do the opposite.

The truly safety-sensitive might even wear Nomex long underwear beneath their clothing, and don Nomex gloves and hood during the taxi to take-off and prior to final approach on landing (though that might lead to air marshal questioning). 🤠

Remember the Boy Scout motto:

Be prepared.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:13 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
I'm amused by the people who express revulsion at the thought of a tank top-wearing man reaching over a buffet. Are they afraid that rats will fall out of his armpits or something?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by random.parts

This article should come with a warning that its geared towards sales/soft skill type jobs, or for people who search for/need to find validation outside themselves.

The airport part for anyone not wanting to waste their time:

Strange how proud they are with themselves through an imagined sense of superiority because they got a couple of well-meaning/kind comments. Unless those comments included disparaging remarks about everyone else, it has nothing to do with the perceived “backdrop of overwhelming mediocrity”.
The article from Forbes actually had a lot more comments and suggestions from other well-known people. In fact, the tone and tenor is completely different than stated above. I wouldn’t consider it wasting time. Interested readers may enjoy the message. I surely did

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 1, 2022 at 10:39 am Reason: updated quote to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
The article from Forbes actually had a lot more comments and suggestions from other well-known people. In fact, the tone and tenor is completely different than stated above. I wouldn’t consider it wasting time. Interested readers may enjoy the message. I surely did
Interesting read while WFH in my shorts and T shirt.

And yes, I have worn the Polaris PJ shirt over my half sleeve in the SFO Polaris club after arriving from SIN - it gets cold there!
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Mr Wifebeater should have this pic framed and put into a hall of shame section of the club.
THIS!!!

While not a wall of shame, doesn't one of the UC's have a bookshelf or a shelf that is higher on a wall (I might be thinking of a Centurion Lounge)....

Make an unedited 8 x 10 and just place it somewhere in a UC or PL.

It could be a whole FT spotting thing.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gaobest
thank you because no, I don’t need to see men in leggings. Loose trousers are fine. Nothing skin tight needed on men lol
Men can wear tight leggings, a dress, high heels and full make-up.If it's legal for women, it's legal for men as well.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 1, 2022 at 10:41 am Reason: Going OMNI and making huge unwarranted assumptions
Old Jun 1, 2022, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
But who decides what is common sense
Spirit Airlines?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
THIS!!!

While not a wall of shame, doesn't one of the UC's have a bookshelf or a shelf that is higher on a wall (I might be thinking of a Centurion Lounge)....

Make an unedited 8 x 10 and just place it somewhere in a UC or PL.

It could be a whole FT spotting thing.
Well Seinfeld had his driver license on the bounced check hall of fame at his local bodega so why not a wall for wifebeaters.
jhayes_1780 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:12 am

To me it’s a safety issue

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
The MOST important clothing consideration!

There is one sartorial aspect of airplane travel that outranks ALL others by a wide margin.

It must not melt on one's body when exposed to flaming aviation fuel during an emergency evacuation.

And the second consideration is like the first. It should actually provide protection under such circumstances.

So exposed skin, whether on shoulders, arms, legs, feet, or elsewhere, is not wise if one wishes to maximize post-crash evacuation survival and minimize extraordinarily painful burns.

Natural fibers are best. Cotton, wool, or leather can withstand temperatures of hundreds of degrees while one runs through the heat. Polyester will do the opposite.

The truly safety-sensitive might even wear Nomex long underwear beneath their clothing, and don Nomex gloves and hood during the taxi to take-off and prior to final approach on landing (though that might lead to air marshal questioning). 🤠

Remember the Boy Scout motto:

Be prepared.
i have it ingrained in my brain i should wear long pants and solid shoes, just in case.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by 9wishes; Jun 1, 2022 at 10:13 am Reason: Message

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.