Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can’t we have a dress code for Polaris Lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can’t we have a dress code for Polaris Lounges?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Gertjaars

😂😂

Airport lounges and other areas of US airports are all public space - OP does not need Mr. TankTops permission to record/take pictures. Look into the definition of photography/video recording in public spaces in the US.
When I posted images from inside a UC months back I figured it was a public space but didn't know what FT's rule was so I either eliminated people from the images or indeed did get at least verbal permission from the few individuals in my images. Also, fwiw the individuals face was obscured by the OP.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I wouldn't care if they are in their underwear as long as they keep their dirty hands out of the buffet.

Although I suspect if the person in the photo was more "modelish" vs "potatoish", we wouldn't have so many complaints
canadiancow, ARR72 and nancypants like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA/CO
There was a time in the distant past where the law firm I worked for had a dress code. We had to wear a coat and tie "outside" our office (meaning, even in the halls). At a law firm meeting I got a dressing down for not wearing a tie and wearing cotton pants. I looked at the partner up and down and said "I will not take dress code advice from someone who gets his ties 10 for $10 from a street vendor outside CVS and has toilet paper stuck to his shoes." After that, I decided that what people wore was their own business. If some guy I find unappealing finds himself fashionable in a tank-top and flip flops, he has much stronger self confidence than I.
SPN Lifer, LETTERBOY and jp12687 like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Not the best, but as others said, I'd rather have well behaved and quiet casual dressed person than a loud, obnoxious nicely dressed person. Was in the UC recently and some women was so loud on her cell phone and she was nicely dressed.
Old May 31, 2022, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by awayIgo
Definitely a first world problem. I feel companies/ airlines need to pick their battles and in the huge array of potential problems, this is one not worth picking. (and no one I know or trade with would every dress like that!)
As someone who lives more than half the year in the "third world," I have found that slovenly appearance, lack of consideration for others and the general decline in expectations for public behavior to very much be a "first world problem."
Old May 31, 2022, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zrs70
First class (well, business) is about who we are, not where we sit.
I hate to disillusion you but the airline doesn't really care who you are. The airline only cares about how much money (or miles) you paid for your ticket.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion

😂😂

Airport lounges and other areas of US airports are all public space - OP does not need Mr. TankTops permission to record/take pictures. Look into the definition of photography/video recording in public spaces in the US.
The lounge space would be leased commercial space by UA. You need an invitation by UA to enter said space. Ergo it is a private space.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jp12687
can woman wear tank tops? I’ve seen tons of women in the lounge in a tank…
Well, it appears that from this pic, there are tons of men, too.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Is common sense decorum too hard to ask for? The guy is wearing a wife beater let alone wearing it in public and on top of that a business lounge.
Apparently it is too hard to ask for, since there is no such wording in the lounge T&C's. Perhaps they find it a better business case not to be petty with dress codes and take peoples money than police the jacket and ties at the doorways.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
No... definitely an American problem...

You won't see that in Europe or Asia... or Latin America for that matter.
Um, not quite exactly. I was in a particular SCL Salon VIP last week that felt the necessity to paste the following on its tables, and I'm sure not without reason.

"Keep This a Chancho-Free Zone"
Old May 31, 2022, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Of course a minimum dress code for lounge should be enforced. I'm fairly confident you could not get away wearing that in a LH lounge or practically any foreign airline lounge.

Why bother building something classy if the clientele is going to take away the experience.

When I went to Prime at Bellagio a couple of weeks ago - they day before the reservation I received this email below - UA could certainly do the same so nobody is surprised and skip the lounge if they can't dress to the code.

Dress Code: Business Casual attire is required. For ladies, the attire is elegant & dressy. For gentlemen, the attire is collared shirts or polos. Shorts, sports apparel, tank tops and open-toe shoes are not permitted.

United and Polaris Classy? When United can deliver an end-to-end business class experience that rises somewhere above the convenience store/microwave dinner level of meal/service, then perhaps the class conversation can be had. Until then, it's a flat bed without class. Not worth dressing up for. I don't dress up for the convenience store.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ewoo
As someone who lives more than half the year in the "third world," I have found that slovenly appearance, lack of consideration for others and the general decline in expectations for public behavior to very much be a "first world problem."
I think in general, the "me, myself, and I" culture trumping basic societal consideration for others, is at the root of a lot of issues. We could have all the freedoms we want if we are individually able to act in the collective interest. No need for dragons and draconian rules at lounges if people are just considerate of others.

It's not hard to do either. In the SFO Centurion Lounge, if I need to take a call, my first option is to let an agent know that I'm going to use the kids room for my call, but if someone needs it please let me know and I'll move out. Which has happened before with no drama. If that room is occupied, I leave the lounge and find an empty gate area. The F-G walkway is often an option too. These things aren't tough to do if you take a minute to think of others.
ewoo likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 6:11 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
show us a United website link/United document that clearly says "taking pictures/videos without consent is prohibited in the Polaris lounge" and I'll buy you a RT United ticket anywhere in the contiguous US.
Originally Posted by prestonh
The lounge space would be leased commercial space by UA. You need an invitation by UA to enter said space. Ergo it is a private space.
Old May 31, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I usually prioritize comfort over looks when I'm going to be traveling on an overnight flight. So I'll generally look worse than usual in the PL. Don't wear tank tops though. Maybe t-shirt and shorts at worst. On ultra long flights, I switch into PJs.
Seems to match with the packaged nuts, casserole dish and kit kat for dinner
Unimatrix One and seanp7 like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
show us a United website link/United document that clearly says "taking pictures/videos without consent is prohibited in the Polaris lounge" and I'll buy you a RT United ticket anywhere in the contiguous US.
While they of course do not say that, they do say "United reserves the right to terminate any membership or remove any member or guest for any conduct United deems inappropriate," so they in theory have the right to deem your photography inappropriate.

They do also say ask that "your attire and conduct be consistent with the environment" which is yet another amusing catch-all-or-nothing, and they do require use of headphones, and tell you not to put your feet on the furniture. Clearly nobody cares about any of these.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.