Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thank you golfers on the diverted SFO-OTH flight today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2022, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum

SFO-OTH (North Bend, Oregon) was diverted to EUG today, and Skywest told the passengers they were on their own (including my mother in law). Fortunately, a group of golfers (most of the plane) decided to charter a bus to Bandon, and were kind enough to include my MIL and another passenger for the ride.

If anyone from that group frequents FlyerTalk and sees this post, thank you for your help! My MIL said she had the most fun trip back to OTH in a long time.
Old May 28, 2022, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by frankmu
SFO-OTH (North Bend, Oregon) was diverted to EUG today, and Skywest told the passengers they were on their own (including my mother in law). Fortunately, a group of golfers (most of the plane) decided to charter a bus to Bandon, and were kind enough to include my MIL and another passenger for the ride.

If anyone from that group frequents FlyerTalk and sees this post, thank you for your help! My MIL said she had the most fun trip back to OTH in a long time.
this reminds me of the time I was flying ORD-CVG, and I was on the late night flight - going to see my now wife for the weekend when we were living in different cities - managed these weekend trips pretty frequently. This particular flight took off, circled above Indianapolis for some time, then went back to ORD due to fog at CVG. As we were heading back, the guy sitting next to mesays he wants to get back asap, and so asks me and a few people in the row ahead and behind if they’d like to rent a car and share the driving overnight (it’s about 5 hours). One of those who also accepted was trying to see their family at the hospital.

so the 5 of us get in the car and go, and guy who organized won’t take anything to help with rental or gas - he’s on his way home from a work trip, so he’s going to expense it all anyway. So was a nice way to get in faster and not worry about what flight we were going to be able to be rebooked on next day.
Old May 28, 2022, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
United is not obligated to get passengers to the original destination?
Old May 28, 2022, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by CApreppie
United is not obligated to get passengers to the original destination?
They are, as soon as reasonably possible. However, whoever at Skywest told them "they're on their own" was 100% wrong. UA would be working to make alternative transport arrangements or resume from their diversion point when able. Additionally, under their policies, diversions are always considered controllable at the diversion point even if typically "uncontrollable" things such as weather, a passenger, or ATC led to the diversion, so if it requires an overnight stay they would provide hotel, over 4 hours would get food vouches, other amenities, etc.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
They are, as soon as reasonably possible. However, whoever at Skywest told them "they're on their own" was 100% wrong. UA would be working to make alternative transport arrangements or resume from their diversion point when able. Additionally, under their policies, diversions are always considered controllable at the diversion point even if typically "uncontrollable" things such as weather, a passenger, or ATC led to the diversion, so if it requires an overnight stay they would provide hotel, over 4 hours would get food vouches, other amenities, etc.
Yes, that is what I thought. They could charter a bus to get the passengers to their destination if it isn't too far or pay for hotel/food and then fly them as soon as they could.

That SkyWest employee was clearly wrong. However, we are hearing the story through another person and not the person(s) directly involved so who knows what actually transpired. Maybe it was a choice: you can stay overnight or you are on your own.
trooper likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum
I also thought Skywest was obligated to get them to OTH, I’ve heard they would put people on a charter bus in the past. This is second hand from my MIL, who is not a frequent flyer, so taking it with a small grain of salt.

in any case, the golfers stopped at a gas station for a case of beer, and partied all the way to the coast. My MIL said it was the most entertainment she’s had in a very long time 😄

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Actually now that I’m thinking about it, should my MIL send a note to the DOT regarding this “act of god”?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 29, 2022 at 1:29 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 29, 2022, 1:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by frankmu
I also thought Skywest was obligated to get them to OTH, I’ve heard they would put people on a charter bus in the past. This is second hand from my MIL, who is not a frequent flyer, so taking it with a small grain of salt.

in any case, the golfers stopped at a gas station for a case of beer, and partied all the way to the coast. My MIL said it was the most entertainment she’s had in a very long time 😄

Actually now that I’m thinking about it, should my MIL send a note to the DOT regarding this “act of god”?
One case of beer for a bus full of golfers!? Is your MIL’s idea of entertainment The Hunger Games??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.