Miles taken from wrong account

Old May 26, 2022, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Miles taken from wrong account

Booked flights from LHR to ORD for family members with upgrades using miles from my account. Maybe because my and son’s names are same, miles were taken from his account. United reservations confirms that booking shows miles were to be from my account, but UA Mileage Plus says miles were taken from his account appropriately - which is impossible since I made reservation. Very helpful agent with Internat’l Reservations said I would have to spend 4-5 hours with a knowledgeable agent in MP - not someone in Manila (her words) - to try to get to the right level within UA to straighten this out. Does anyone have any ideas on a less painful and time consuming way to deal with this?
Old May 26, 2022, 8:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
You did this thru a phone agent and not online?

Are they waitlisted or have they cleared?
Old May 27, 2022, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Online. They have cleared from a waitlist one-way. Confirmed on outbound. The “helpful agent” said she had never seen anything like this in 30 years!
Old May 27, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dubsman
Online. They have cleared from a waitlist one-way. Confirmed on outbound. The “helpful agent” said she had never seen anything like this in 30 years!
If done online, the miles were taken from the account your were logged in with, are you sure you did not log into the wrong account??? Easy to do if you share a computer.

Switching the source of the miles on a confirmed upgrade takes a very competent agent -- it probably could be done in 30-60 minutes with the right agent BUT it is not policy to make such changes. Might be done for high elites if switching from miles to PlusPoints -- but rare.

I don't see how if you were logged in on the right account that miles could have been deducted from another account.

Call MP Customer Support during USA business hours and ask for a supervisor to help.

Phone

Within the U.S. and Canada

7:00 a.m.–midnight (CT), daily

1-800-421-4655 (toll-free)

1-713-952-1630 (charges may apply)
Old May 27, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Just takes the right agent, finding that agent is another story.
Might be easier to just use your miles the next time your son needs to use his.
Glensea and jsloan like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
... I don't see how if you were logged in on the right account that miles could have been deducted from another account.
Whose credit card paid the co-pay?
Old May 27, 2022, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Whose credit card paid the co-pay?
Could be a good clue, but not necessarily conclusive if card was entered manually (not saved to profile), for example.

I agree that some kind of computer sharing / wrong log-in mix-up is most likely. I have made mistakes like that in the past, for example creating an entirely new booking rather than changing an existing one, or making a booking for the wrong passenger saved to profile. Fortunately caught those quickly enough to rectify easily (cancel, re-do).

Fundamentally I am quite sure there's no way for a request from one account to be "billed" to another account. They don't link accounts to that degree.

edit add: the record will show which account was supporting the waitlist request from the time of request — did the agent actually confirm it says account 1 requested and saw account 2 wound up debited?

Last edited by fumje; May 27, 2022 at 11:36 am
Old May 27, 2022, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

I did the booking from my account (after logging in online) with my credit card. I received - and still have - a receipt showing that the miles were deducted from my account, the copay from my credit card account. The “helpful agent” told me that her record showed the miles were deducted from my account.
Could it possibly make a difference that I changed the outbound flight and date a couple of days later, paid all fare increases etc., by phone with an agent in some foreign land? But my son’s MP account shows the deduction from his account on the date of my original purchase, so presumptively the itinerary change should have no bearing on the mystery.
Also, my son’s MP number is in my account profile since I have included him as a passenger on many prior bookings.
Old May 27, 2022, 1:40 pm

I did the booking from my account (after logging in online) with my credit card. I received - and still have - a receipt showing that the miles were deducted from my account, the copay from my credit card account. The “helpful agent” told me that her record showed the miles were deducted from my account.....
Can not conceive how the change to your son's account could have occurred post-booking but that documentation should be sufficient to get this corrected.

Suggestion to call MP SC still stands and make sure you have a competent agent as this could get messed up badly otherwise.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did the booking from my account (after logging in online) with my credit card. I received - and still have - a receipt showing that the miles were deducted from my account, the copay from my credit card account. The “helpful agent” told me that her record showed the miles were deducted from my account.
Could it possibly make a difference that I changed the outbound flight and date a couple of days later, paid all fare increases etc., by phone with an agent in some foreign land? But my son’s MP account shows the deduction from his account on the date of my original purchase, so presumptively the itinerary change should have no bearing on the mystery.
Also, my son’s MP number is in my account profile since I have included him as a passenger on many prior bookings.
In that case I might suggest wait until after travel, then write to MPSC with the documentation asking for the other account to be credited and yours to be deducted. Better not to mess with it while an upgrade can still be inadvertently undone.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
What phone numbers are you calling? Are you sure they are genuine ua and not elsewhere taking miles out of your son's mp account?
physioprof likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Finally found an agent in International Reservations who stuck with me for the two hours it took for UA to correct the accounts. Very professional, responsive - a joy to deal with!
iluv2fly, Nanagose, jsloan and 3 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.