Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anticipated 1 June enhancements - UA bringing back hot meals to domestic first class

Anticipated 1 June enhancements - UA bringing back hot meals to domestic first class

Old Jun 4, 22, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.4 MM, AA PLAT 1MM
Originally Posted by stillwaters23 View Post
Looks like on Monday going into DEN I have a choice between the Italian vegetable stew with polenta, or the Za'atar chicken with spinach, roasted peppers and orzo.

Has anyone seen either of these yet to tell me which to pick? Neither sounds particular great tbh.
I had the za'atar chicken for lunch yesterday on PHX-ORD (yes, the 6/1 change did happen on this route - we had a "snack" on the 5/31 outbound but the hot lunch on the return!). I happen to prefer it to the polenta. Didn't take a photo, sorry. The chicken was chopped up in little pieces and put over the orzo/spinach, with the sauce drizzled on top.
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Jun 4, 22, 8:15 am

Programs: UA GS 2.8MM, Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Was the chicken true chicken breast, or the ‘formed scraps’ that had been sneaking in to the previous dish?
Old Jun 4, 22, 9:34 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by tcdtcd View Post
Was the chicken true chicken breast, or the ‘formed scraps’ that had been sneaking in to the previous dish?
Probably varies based on what the kitchen can profitably source at the contracted cost per tray, and still be in compliance with United's catering "standards."
Old Jun 4, 22, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by tcdtcd View Post
It was the tiny "formed scraps". I tried it and they were extremely tough and chewy. Not good. Going back to taking Subway sandwiches on my flights so I'll at least have a palatable meal.
Old Jun 4, 22, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
It was the tiny "formed scraps". I tried it and they were extremely tough and chewy. Not good. Going back to taking Subway sandwiches on my flights so I'll at least have a palatable meal.
Unbelievable (well, actually very believable, yet very sad...)

As soon as I try this myself or someone posts a photo of this, I will take United to task on this.
EWR764 and tcdtcd like this.
Old Jun 4, 22, 9:54 am

Programs: UA GS 2.8MM, Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Please do, Matthew!!!👍
Pics everyone!!
Old Jun 4, 22, 2:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I had the composite chicken round on my flight earlier in the week. And in reality, any chicken, unless they are using solely thighs, is not going to survive the reheating in the convection oven.

How was the flavor of the overall dish? I guess you did not like it either.
Old Jun 4, 22, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
I had the composite chicken round on my flight earlier in the week. And in reality, any chicken, unless they are using solely thighs, is not going to survive the reheating in the convection oven.

How was the flavor of the overall dish? I guess you did not like it either.
Honestly, the orzo and spinach part of it was good. It's just the chicken that put me off because it was so tough. It was nicely presented in a circular pattern though-sorry I didn't take a picture. My wife had the polenta and liked it, primarily because it was not too spicy and had some good flavor and texture-I found it too bland.
Old Jun 4, 22, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
They probably should serve dark meat as I prefer it over white meat. It is tastier and moister. It certainly would survive the pre-cooking and reheating better as you said. Certain fishes would survive better - anything that tends to have more fish oil. Anything saucier tends to work as well.
Old Jun 5, 22, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, Hyatt*Globalist
United has never disappoint its customers with big letdowns.
Old Jun 5, 22, 8:00 pm
formerly fkhatibloo

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Omni Select
I feel so special... five meal choices on my SFO-ORD leg Tuesday.

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 22, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
except the burger looks like this when served
Old Jun 7, 22, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by stillwaters23 View Post
Looks like on Monday going into DEN I have a choice between the Italian vegetable stew with polenta, or the Za'atar chicken with spinach, roasted peppers and orzo.

Has anyone seen either of these yet to tell me which to pick? Neither sounds particular great tbh.
Following up on this, the za’atar chicken was inedible IMO. Chicken was dry and seasoning was way salty and gross. YMMV though, dude next to me ate every last bite and practically licked the plate clean. Maybe he hadn’t eaten in awhile, idk.
MatthewLAX, cfw and InHouseCounsel like this.
Old Jun 7, 22, 12:01 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I have never complained about UA food in decades of flying & don't consider myself a picky eater, but this "compressed formed chicken scraps" business has me really annoyed. When I was served it, it was literally the first time in 30+ yrs of CO/UA flying that I ever told an FA "Sorry, I can't eat this food; it is inedible. Can I have something else?"
Old Jun 7, 22, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
... "Sorry, I can't eat this food; it is inedible. Can I have something else?"
Years ago, I was on a flight next to a first time F flyer. He overheard the FA commenting to a colleague that their crew meal was inedible again. The first time F flyer though they were referring to the passenger meals and decided to pass on the meal. I did not feel the need to correct him.
physioprof likes this.

Search this Thread