Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anticipated 1 June enhancements - UA bringing back hot meals to domestic first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anticipated 1 June enhancements - UA bringing back hot meals to domestic first class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
or some of us could have an intolerance to soy…
This is exactly what I mean. You are always going to have someone who objects / has an intolerance to a certain ingredient in any meal option.

I'd suggest they do a soy-free Beyond Burger product instead of Impossible as a solution to your criticism, but I am sure someone would have a problem with that as well.

and also plenty enough vegetarians out there that would prefer to have just normal vegetarian food on board and not something that’s supposed to resemble meat.
I am vegetarian and am fine with either approach. I just happen to like both the Beyond and Impossible products.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I'm eagerly awaiting photos and reports. I had the chicken katsu finally from LIH and I thought it was fine. I've had katsu in Tokyo from a place that specializes in it so clearly no comparison, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting from some flyers on here.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Well stated. A lot of vegetarians aren’t aspiring to consume meat dishes. So something designed to look/taste like meat isn’t at all attractive.

Provide “Want meat eat meat”, and have a falafel or AVML dish or pasta/enchiladas etc as a designed vegetarian option.

Or bring back the ragu/polenta. Lesson learned
I'm in the minority that things the ragu with polenta has been the best thing in circulation for a while. So I'd welcome that! (everything's relative of course, but as others have said, this is an airline meal, not a gourmet restaurant).

Originally Posted by Bear96
This is exactly what I mean. You are always going to have someone who objects / has an intolerance to a certain ingredient in any meal option.

I'd suggest they do a soy-free Beyond Burger product instead of Impossible as a solution to your criticism, but I am sure someone would have a problem with that as well.

I am vegetarian and am fine with either approach. I just happen to like both the Beyond and Impossible products.
Yes, there's always someone who can object to anything, and with legitimate reason too. But faux-meat products are designed to be exactly that, which is unappealing to most vegetarians I know (not all) but appealing to meat eaters who are trying to cut down (again, not all). And that's what they are going for. Even if you're doing a burger, there are so many great ways to make a veggie burger without having to make it seem like meat.

Here's a good veggie burger: https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com...burger-recipe/
benewr and Nanagose like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I agree about vegetarian food trying to emulate meat. It really seems odd to me. Is that the only frame of reference we have for vegetarian food? I think Asian food does a good job of just incorporating non-meat into dishes and not trying to call them something like a hamburger or fish sticks, etc.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I agree about vegetarian food trying to emulate meat. It really seems odd to me. Is that the only frame of reference we have for vegetarian food? I think Asian food does a good job of just incorporating non-meat into dishes and not trying to call them something like a hamburger or fish sticks, etc.
yup. Here in America, it’s gotta be ‘meat’ if it’s not meat. Impossible/Beyond is really geared toward the crowd that doesn’t want to participate in the climate/animal issues with meat, but still wants the taste. I’ve seen people eat it because they think it’s healthier, but it’s really not.

There are a lot of vegetarians that don’t want meat or something pretending to be it - most of my family are prime examples. Asian veg is good because it’s not the typical traditional US version of veggies (ie, tasteless roasted veggies with basically no spice/sauce).

that said, I realize they are still piloting the select in advance on some flights (it’s not everywhere yet, right?). Can’t they alternatively bring back the special meals option so if you want an Asian veg meal in domestic F, you can get it (and for that matter, a kosher option, gluten-free, or whatever…).
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Think we are wandering far off the topic of UA's post June 1 domestic FIrst meals.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:55 am

Looks like on Monday going into DEN I have a choice between the Italian vegetable stew with polenta, or the Za'atar chicken with spinach, roasted peppers and orzo.

Has anyone seen either of these yet to tell me which to pick? Neither sounds particular great tbh.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by stillwaters23
Looks like on Monday going into DEN I have a choice between the Italian vegetable stew with polenta, or the Za'atar chicken with spinach, roasted peppers and orzo.

Has anyone seen either of these yet to tell me which to pick? Neither sounds particular great tbh.
I really enjoy the flavor of Mediterranean zaatar spice. I look forward to trying that in the future
Old Jun 3, 2022, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist

The Za'atar chicken is new...haven't tried it. The ragu polenta is extremely salty and not my favorite dish.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 12:03 pm

How does one see the First Class meal options?
Does it work like DELTA and they send you an email to place your selection or is it done via the app?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by kmersh
Does it work like DELTA and they send you an email to place your selection or is it done via the app?
There is just a link in the booking on UA's site to select my meal option.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Same here...it appeared 3 days ahead of the scheduled flight. That line in your reservation changes from the general meal description (Snack, Lunch, etc) to an active link that says "Select Meal".
Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmersh
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Same here...it appeared 3 days ahead of the scheduled flight. That line in your reservation changes from the general meal description (Snack, Lunch, etc) to an active link that says "Select Meal".
I usually do get an email about 4 days ahead (for eligible flights).
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:39 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
I'll be flying YVR-DEN shortly in First. Are hot meals back on Canada routes like this? App still shows only a "snack" being available. TIA
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by loganre17
I'll be flying YVR-DEN shortly in First. Are hot meals back on Canada routes like this? App still shows only a "snack" being available. TIA
Yes, at over 800 miles (1,114 m) there should be a hot meal.
loganre17 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.