Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anticipated 1 June enhancements - UA bringing back hot meals to domestic first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anticipated 1 June enhancements - UA bringing back hot meals to domestic first class

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 1kBill
On my flight on 5/19, there was a printed menu with 3 entrees (almost the usual, beef, fish, chili instead of pasta). These were served with a salad. The meal started with drinks and nuts (no appetizer), then the main. Dessert was served separately. No foil. I have pictures somewhere that I will upload when I get home.

From the first post:
"Polaris customers will once again receive a pre-meal snack and cocktail along with table linen service. That will be followed by a plated entrée and dessert."

Is the snack an appetizer? Or just the nuts? And will the dessert cart return? With after-dinner drinks?
Just the nuts.
Old May 27, 2022, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1kBill
…And will the dessert cart return?…
My bet is the dessert carts will never be seen again.
Old May 28, 2022, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They will bring dessert options by on a tray, like some restaurants used to do. (Any still do? Seems old school.)
Old May 28, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
My bet is the dessert carts will never be seen again.
If AA can do it on domestic TCON, there's no reason why UA can't do it on intl.
Someday, maybe when AA has a pastry chef onboard crafting desserts to order, UA will bring back the cart.
Never is a long time.
Old May 28, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by eng3
If AA can do it on domestic TCON, there's no reason why UA can't do it on intl.
Someday, maybe when AA has a pastry chef onboard crafting desserts to order, UA will bring back the cart.
Never is a long time.
Put me in the camp that thinks premium quality service is never coming back. The majors are barely getting by, and costs are surging out of control, so I think that, "underdeliver and overcharge", will be around for a very long time.
SPN Lifer and EWR764 like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Put me in the camp that thinks premium quality service is never coming back. The majors are barely getting by, and costs are surging out of control, so I think that, "underdeliver and overcharge", will be around for a very long time.
Sure, but if other airlines are able to do it now (for several months) and not go bankrupt, I don't see why UA can't do the same.
Old May 28, 2022, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It can't be any "other" domestic because it's not domestic from any standpoint (neither country has annexed the other to the best of my knowledge). I do, however, realize that United is geographically-challenged and may use that term even when it doesn't apply. Canada is sometimes treated as an international destination (such as lounge access) and sometimes not. Hence my question as to the transborder situation.
Ive been flying UA (as well as AC) on transborder regularly for roughly 25 years, and from an onboard service perspective, Transborder flights have the same service levels as domestic US flights, with some roughly equivalent substitutions for Canada-originating flights, for the entire time. Subs like a Peak Freans cookie in Y instead of Biscoff or a stroopwafel. They occasionally even had upgraded items (way back in the PMUA days, for example, at least from some stations like YYZ they had Tropicana OJ vs. the standard Minute Maid). Yes, lounge access is allowed. And international Check in cutoff time (1 hour) is observed. And you’ve got to do immigration/customs formalities on arrival or before leaving. But from almost every other perspective, and especially from onboard service, everything is equivant to domestic.
Old May 28, 2022, 1:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
Sure, but if other airlines are able to do it now (for several months) and not go bankrupt, I don't see why UA can't do the same.
A consideration in this discussion that is commonly left out is it is never just one part of the operation but the total operation and costs that are managed. While UA is scrimping of desert cart and other food items, others are scrimping in other part so of there operations -- such as phone agent availability, .... UA just opened a long needed new EWR UC and generally doing better (not great, better) than some others on schedules and new routes, ....

Not defending UA for their inflight service choices, but to pick one thing and says the others are doing better while not looking at the entire breath of operations where the others are falling short is a flawed approach. To expect one carrier to be equal or best at everything is not a realistic expectation.

For example many rave about SQ's inflight service but their ground / agent service is considered very poor -- and the horror stories about award ticketing abound. Those are SQ's choices. LH inflight is viewed positively but their seats are terrible.

UA deserves criticism for their inflight but the "others do this" is a flawed argument without acknowledging the tradeoffs.
Old May 28, 2022, 10:35 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Unless UA has resumed flights from SFO to YYC, you should expect whatever AC is serving. Pre-pandemic, I don't remember anything but RJs operated by UA on this route anyway... none of which in UA livery have ovens.
UA is resuming flights to YYC on June 3 for the summer season. Operated by 737 at least initially. Why would I have asked that question here if I was on an AC codeshare?
Old May 29, 2022, 12:18 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
If anyone has an AU flight (Eastbound or Westbound) after 01Jun22, I'd be curious to hear the lineup, including the mid-flight snack if they offer one.
Old May 29, 2022, 8:37 am

Has anyone with a reservation after June 1 had their trip update from snack aka heartbomb sandwich to an actual meal?

I have an MCO-EWR which still lists snack.
Old May 29, 2022, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
UA is resuming flights to YYC on June 3 for the summer season. Operated by 737 at least initially. Why would I have asked that question here if I was on an AC codeshare?
UA has been flying to YYC for most of Covid. Flights came back late summer 2020
Old May 29, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
UA has been flying to YYC for most of Covid. Flights came back late summer 2020
The context was SFO-YYC which is what my original question was about and is not back for a few more days.
Old May 30, 2022, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A consideration in this discussion that is commonly left out is it is never just one part of the operation but the total operation and costs that are managed. While UA is scrimping of desert cart and other food items, others are scrimping in other part so of there operations -- such as phone agent availability, .... UA just opened a long needed new EWR UC and generally doing better (not great, better) than some others on schedules and new routes, ....

Not defending UA for their inflight service choices, but to pick one thing and says the others are doing better while not looking at the entire breath of operations where the others are falling short is a flawed approach. To expect one carrier to be equal or best at everything is not a realistic expectation.

For example many rave about SQ's inflight service but their ground / agent service is considered very poor -- and the horror stories about award ticketing abound. Those are SQ's choices. LH inflight is viewed positively but their seats are terrible.

UA deserves criticism for their inflight but the "others do this" is a flawed argument without acknowledging the tradeoffs.
I did not want to turn this into a thread comparing every aspect of an airline to another and stray too far off topic and then have my post moved.
I find most other areas about the same comparing between the major domestic operators. (Sure, my experience is limited outside UA) I find the seats and customer service to be about the same. "Horror stories" are usually rare depending on specific situation. In-flight dining is somewhat common across all flights. I generally do not expect to see such vast differences, such as in the area of in-flight dining.
Old May 31, 2022, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Domestic first class menus are changing, starting tomorrow (June 1st).

New choices:
  • Za'atar chicken served over rice
  • Impossible meatballs served over bulgur with broccolini
Still fruit bowl + pie-in-the-sky on the side.

No change in premium transcontinental or Hawaii menus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.