Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anticipated 1 June enhancements - UA bringing back hot meals to domestic first class

Anticipated 1 June enhancements - UA bringing back hot meals to domestic first class

Old May 25, 2022, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So when is UA going to replace the plastic baggie (so much for "Eco-Skies") on short-haul flights? AA, AA, and DL all restored the snack basket months ago.
Old May 25, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Well, this stinks - sort of

We had enjoyed mainline CHS-DEN flights as well as IAH on occasion as both of those flights are >800 miles, I fear the return of 100% UAX flights. I like the E175 - but 1449 miles is a long time in that plane.
geckoflyer likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
The other airlines are not doing hot meals on all flights longer than 800 miles.

United leading again it seems
Maybe every airline isnt drawing the line exactly at 800mi, but overall, UA lags way behind all the other airlines in terms of onboard dining (again).
nexusCFX likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Is it too much to hope for “exception” route meal flights to return? ORD-EWR/LGA, etc.? Over 700 miles, but not 800.

Probably not happening, but let’s see.
Old May 25, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Any word on whether premium transcontinental will go back to courses, menus, real desserts, etc?
Old May 25, 2022, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rch4u
Any word on whether premium transcontinental will go back to courses, menus, real desserts, etc?
I saw the memo. Nothing on that. Also, there still won't be appetizers on longhaul flights in Polaris.

But still, this is a great step in the right direction and only right considering full flights and high fares.

Last edited by MatthewLAX; May 25, 2022 at 5:17 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 25, 2022, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I wonder what this means for transborder flights that are marketed as First Class? Of course, YVR-SFO is exacly 800 miles, so it would be exempt from hot meals anyway.
I was about to comment on how transborder flights have been marketed as United Business for a long time, but a quick check shows they are now shown as F again. When did that change?

as to SFO-YVR, should be treated like any other domestic F flight. Based on the wording in the article that says ‘…all flights that are longer than 800 miles’, seems that SFO-YVR won’t make the meal cut. Just looked up a flight in that route in August….it shows as no meals offered on this flight, but I wouldn’t read much into that given the announcement was just made.
Old May 25, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by emcampbe
as to SFO-YVR, should be treated like any other domestic F flight.
It can't be any "other" domestic because it's not domestic from any standpoint (neither country has annexed the other to the best of my knowledge). I do, however, realize that United is geographically-challenged and may use that term even when it doesn't apply. Canada is sometimes treated as an international destination (such as lounge access) and sometimes not. Hence my question as to the transborder situation.
Old May 25, 2022, 6:27 pm

ORD-DFW is 799. Meal or no meal...
Old May 25, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
799 < 800.
Old May 25, 2022, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
According to Great Circle Mapper it's 802 miles but not sure what UA uses to determine mileage:

A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
Old May 25, 2022, 7:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For now, this announcement does not seem to be related to premium transcon or Hawai'i flights but rather systemwide. Let's not get lost in the past and as we learn what the future F&B will be, that's the focus of this thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
MatthewLAX likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 25, 2022 at 7:17 pm
Old May 25, 2022, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
The other airlines are not doing hot meals on all flights longer than 800 miles.

United leading again it seems
Unless UA get rid of long time chicken with spanish rice and ragu with polenta, I would much rather have the cold meals on AA, as AA have so many rotations of cold meals and hot meals no matter breakfast or lunch/dinner, even regionals have options.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For now, this announcement does not seem to be related to premium transcon or Hawai'i flights but rather systemwide. Let's not get lost in the past and as we learn what the future F&B will be, that's the focus of this thread
Last time I checked, all premium tcon and hawaii routes are > 800nm. Forgetting about the past is likely exactly UA's hope in these announcements. The announcement itself implies a reference to the past. You can't "enhance" something if there is no reference of comparison.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
This is sort of what they are doing - and everyone is so excited

Just expanding meal catering cut-offs to pre-pandemic criteria with half the quality. I'll be impressed if UA restore Premium Transcon and Polaris catering to what it was 5 years ago. I'm not counting on being impressed.

On the other hand, by degrading Polaris meals so much, some think they are getting typical Polaris meals on domestic flights now They're pleased.
There's a difference between being "excited" about getting ANY "upgrade" and being impressed.
I'm excited about not having to unwrap my meal. I'm excited to get some form of ice cream vs nothing on a 15hr flight. I'm not impressed that it's still lower in quality and quantity.
drgreg and MatthewLAX like this.

Last edited by eng3; May 25, 2022 at 10:04 pm
Old May 25, 2022, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I did not expect the restoration of domestic meal service until after summer. Well done, UA. It's small, but meaningful.
IMRU, ARR72, evol and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.