Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hold PZ while re-fare original ticket for refund

Hold PZ while re-fare original ticket for refund

Old May 25, 22, 7:55 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 91
Hold PZ while re-fare original ticket for refund

Was upgraded from L to PZ this morning via PP. Upon checking prices there is now a $80/ticket difference between original L and now available G (fully refundable). Is there a way to re-fare the ticket without releasing the PZ space? Only 1 ticket in J available. Seems like I'd need to roll the dice- release the PZ, rebook from L to G, then re-apply plus points and hope to get upgraded. I called and the agent said options are hold or as stated. Wondering if this is a HUCA- and what to say.
goduke7 is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 8:10 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Posts: 5,292
A bird in hand is greater than two birds in forest. Someone in FT said this.
So, do not gamble it for $80.
Good luck.
Kmxu is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 8:25 am
  #3  
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,387
When I saw the thread title, I was going to make some sort of pig analogy, but the bird analogy is kinder, so I'll leave it at that.
Edited to add: Good Luck!
bmwe92fan likes this.
Ari is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 9:28 am
  #4  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA Platinum/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 5,295
A knowledgeable agent can do this, but prepare for an extended hold or HUACA.
iluv2fly and wxguy like this.
PTahCha is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 9:46 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC / TYO / Up in the Air
Programs: UA GS 1.5MM, AA 2MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Posts: 4,615
This comes to mind -- as others have pointed out this is possible -- but the risk is high given the lack of quality agents available these days....

Ari, Kacee and iluv2fly like this.
bmwe92fan is online now  
Old May 25, 22, 9:46 am
  #6  
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 17,750
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
A knowledgeable agent can do this, but prepare for an extended hold or HUACA.
I had this issue twice in the past couple weeks, but it was for PN, not PZ. As stated above, they have to call rates and store the new fare to do this, but it is absolutely possible with a good agent. With current wait times, it could take a while. Don't give up.
wxguy likes this.
iluv2fly is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 10:19 am
  #7  
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,387
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
I had this issue twice in the past couple weeks, but it was for PN, not PZ. As stated above, they have to call rates and store the new fare to do this, but it is absolutely possible with a good agent. With current wait times, it could take a while. Don't give up.
You are my hero.

[They should not allow this].
iluv2fly and benewr like this.
Ari is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 10:48 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,437
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
As stated above, they have to call rates and store the new fare to do this, but it is absolutely possible with a good agent. With current wait times, it could take a while. Don't give up.
I think before one takes the don't give up strategy - you have to evaluate 1) your risk tolerance of not getting a "good agent" who messes it up and 2) what your time is worth.
SPN Lifer likes this.
HNLbasedFlyer is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 10:53 am
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
Posts: 50,916
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I think before one takes the don't give up strategy - you have to evaluate 1) your risk tolerance of not getting a "good agent" who messes it up and 2) what your time is worth.
and 3) the $50 phone charge for refaring.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 11:06 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Posts: 5,292
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I think before one takes the don't give up strategy - you have to evaluate 1) your risk tolerance of not getting a "good agent" who messes it up and 2) what your time is worth.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
and 3) the $50 phone charge for refaring.
4) agent's time (i.e., agent's cost to UA and $80 less revenue for UA).
Kmxu is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 11:59 am
  #11  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA Platinum/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 5,295
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
I had this issue twice in the past couple weeks, but it was for PN, not PZ. As stated above, they have to call rates and store the new fare to do this, but it is absolutely possible with a good agent. With current wait times, it could take a while. Don't give up.
+1, unless you hit the jackpot like I did, when I got someone who normally works at the rate desk and was helping out with reservations.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
and 3) the $50 phone charge for refaring.
Which they can waive.
iluv2fly likes this.
PTahCha is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 12:05 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
Posts: 50,916
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
Which they can waive.
They can also double your refund. But I wouldn't count on either one.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 12:18 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 627
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
Which they can waive.
*Which is effectively waived automatically under no change fees since you can cancel, receiving the full FFC and then immediately rebook, retaining the balance as a residual. The $50 refare penalty was really a thing when there were change fees, and while it technically exists still, no one would process a refare that way while change fees are $0.

Regarding the original question of holding PZ. I think as has been alluded to here, technically no, you shouldn't be able to keep the PZ space, as that space would need to be released as part of the refare, and there is no guarantee RM automation would immediately put that back into inventory (especially if the flight is now J1). An experienced agent has the expertise/ability to force that space open and put you back into it, but again you're relying on them knowing how to do it, and doing you a favor to retain that space even though the system decided not to release the upgrade space. The question really becomes is saving the $80 worth the risk that you won't keep the upgrade?

Edit to also add: as far as I'm aware the refare to a cheaper fare for $50 penalty is not officially published publicly anywhere, and could have been eliminated. Again, with change fees currently at $0, it's a moot point, but there is nothing that says that policy hasn't been changed or eliminated.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; May 25, 22 at 12:24 pm
Lux Flyer is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 12:26 pm
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
Posts: 50,916
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
with change fees currently at $0, it's a moot point
There are still change fees for many itineraries, particularly for people who are not U.S. residents.
lhrsfo likes this.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old May 25, 22, 1:26 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
*Which is effectively waived automatically under no change fees since you can cancel, receiving the full FFC and then immediately rebook, retaining the balance as a residual. The $50 refare penalty was really a thing when there were change fees, and while it technically exists still, no one would process a refare that way while change fees are $0.

Regarding the original question of holding PZ. I think as has been alluded to here, technically no, you shouldn't be able to keep the PZ space, as that space would need to be released as part of the refare, and there is no guarantee RM automation would immediately put that back into inventory (especially if the flight is now J1). An experienced agent has the expertise/ability to force that space open and put you back into it, but again you're relying on them knowing how to do it, and doing you a favor to retain that space even though the system decided not to release the upgrade space. The question really becomes is saving the $80 worth the risk that you won't keep the upgrade?

Edit to also add: as far as I'm aware the refare to a cheaper fare for $50 penalty is not officially published publicly anywhere, and could have been eliminated. Again, with change fees currently at $0, it's a moot point, but there is nothing that says that policy hasn't been changed or eliminated.
Can attest the $50 fee is in place as I tried to do this on a family members ticket and it wasnt worth it. Of note- this is a fully refundable fare- so there are no fees as it would be cancelled and rebooked- but doesnt solve original problem. I also mis-heard the agent. Its $80 total, not $80 per passenger. I think we can get $80 in value out of the new EWR club and 5 hrs in J.
goduke7 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread