Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hold PZ while re-fare original ticket for refund

Old May 25, 22, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Was upgraded from L to PZ this morning via PP. Upon checking prices there is now a $80/ticket difference between original L and now available G (fully refundable). Is there a way to re-fare the ticket without releasing the PZ space? Only 1 ticket in J available. Seems like I'd need to roll the dice- release the PZ, rebook from L to G, then re-apply plus points and hope to get upgraded. I called and the agent said options are hold or as stated. Wondering if this is a HUCA- and what to say.
Old May 25, 22, 8:10 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
A bird in hand is greater than two birds in forest. Someone in FT said this.
So, do not gamble it for $80.
Good luck.
Old May 25, 22, 8:25 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I saw the thread title, I was going to make some sort of pig analogy, but the bird analogy is kinder, so I'll leave it at that.
Edited to add: Good Luck!
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old May 25, 22, 9:28 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
A knowledgeable agent can do this, but prepare for an extended hold or HUACA.
iluv2fly and wxguy like this.
Old May 25, 22, 9:46 am

Programs: UA GS 1.5MM, AA 2MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
This comes to mind -- as others have pointed out this is possible -- but the risk is high given the lack of quality agents available these days....

Ari, Kacee and iluv2fly like this.
Old May 25, 22, 9:46 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
A knowledgeable agent can do this, but prepare for an extended hold or HUACA.
I had this issue twice in the past couple weeks, but it was for PN, not PZ. As stated above, they have to call rates and store the new fare to do this, but it is absolutely possible with a good agent. With current wait times, it could take a while. Don't give up.
wxguy likes this.
Old May 25, 22, 10:19 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
I had this issue twice in the past couple weeks, but it was for PN, not PZ. As stated above, they have to call rates and store the new fare to do this, but it is absolutely possible with a good agent. With current wait times, it could take a while. Don't give up.
You are my hero.

[They should not allow this].
iluv2fly and benewr like this.
Old May 25, 22, 10:48 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
As stated above, they have to call rates and store the new fare to do this, but it is absolutely possible with a good agent. With current wait times, it could take a while. Don't give up.
I think before one takes the don't give up strategy - you have to evaluate 1) your risk tolerance of not getting a "good agent" who messes it up and 2) what your time is worth.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 25, 22, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I think before one takes the don't give up strategy - you have to evaluate 1) your risk tolerance of not getting a "good agent" who messes it up and 2) what your time is worth.
and 3) the $50 phone charge for refaring.
Old May 25, 22, 11:06 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
4) agent's time (i.e., agent's cost to UA and $80 less revenue for UA).
Old May 25, 22, 11:59 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
+1, unless you hit the jackpot like I did, when I got someone who normally works at the rate desk and was helping out with reservations.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Which they can waive.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old May 25, 22, 12:05 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
Which they can waive.
They can also double your refund. But I wouldn't count on either one.
Old May 25, 22, 12:18 pm

Which they can waive.
*Which is effectively waived automatically under no change fees since you can cancel, receiving the full FFC and then immediately rebook, retaining the balance as a residual. The $50 refare penalty was really a thing when there were change fees, and while it technically exists still, no one would process a refare that way while change fees are $0.

Regarding the original question of holding PZ. I think as has been alluded to here, technically no, you shouldn't be able to keep the PZ space, as that space would need to be released as part of the refare, and there is no guarantee RM automation would immediately put that back into inventory (especially if the flight is now J1). An experienced agent has the expertise/ability to force that space open and put you back into it, but again you're relying on them knowing how to do it, and doing you a favor to retain that space even though the system decided not to release the upgrade space. The question really becomes is saving the $80 worth the risk that you won't keep the upgrade?

Edit to also add: as far as I'm aware the refare to a cheaper fare for $50 penalty is not officially published publicly anywhere, and could have been eliminated. Again, with change fees currently at $0, it's a moot point, but there is nothing that says that policy hasn't been changed or eliminated.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; May 25, 22 at 12:24 pm
Old May 25, 22, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
with change fees currently at $0, it's a moot point
There are still change fees for many itineraries, particularly for people who are not U.S. residents.
lhrsfo likes this.
Old May 25, 22, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
*Which is effectively waived automatically under no change fees since you can cancel, receiving the full FFC and then immediately rebook, retaining the balance as a residual. The $50 refare penalty was really a thing when there were change fees, and while it technically exists still, no one would process a refare that way while change fees are $0.

Regarding the original question of holding PZ. I think as has been alluded to here, technically no, you shouldn't be able to keep the PZ space, as that space would need to be released as part of the refare, and there is no guarantee RM automation would immediately put that back into inventory (especially if the flight is now J1). An experienced agent has the expertise/ability to force that space open and put you back into it, but again you're relying on them knowing how to do it, and doing you a favor to retain that space even though the system decided not to release the upgrade space. The question really becomes is saving the $80 worth the risk that you won't keep the upgrade?

Edit to also add: as far as I'm aware the refare to a cheaper fare for $50 penalty is not officially published publicly anywhere, and could have been eliminated. Again, with change fees currently at $0, it's a moot point, but there is nothing that says that policy hasn't been changed or eliminated.
Can attest the $50 fee is in place as I tried to do this on a family members ticket and it wasnt worth it. Of note- this is a fully refundable fare- so there are no fees as it would be cancelled and rebooked- but doesnt solve original problem. I also mis-heard the agent. Its $80 total, not $80 per passenger. I think we can get $80 in value out of the new EWR club and 5 hrs in J.

Search this Thread