Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA plus pts with 31 July 2022 expiry, extended to Jan 2023; Jan 2023 to July 2023

Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA plus pts with 31 July 2022 expiry, extended to Jan 2023; Jan 2023 to July 2023

Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by hirohito888
I appreciate the extension, even though I'll still be nowhere close to use up all my PP balance by 31JUL23. I kind of wish they bring back the skip the waitlist as well, that would give me more incentive to burn up my PP instead of not finding any PZ space and end up booking a moderately cheap J-fare instead.
Me as well. STW would be a good way to soak up some of the outstanding PP balances.

Originally Posted by jsloan
:sigh: That's what I get for trusting UA, I guess.

I have no PPs remaining, because I was successfully able to use them all, throwing them at flights that I'd never have wasted them on in the past. The only reason I did this was that I thought that they were expiring at the end of July, and it was better to use them than to lose them. (I even used a MUA for open PZ this coming November).

If I'd had any idea that they were going to extend them again, I never would have wasted them on short-haul domestic flights.
But at least you got to use them, that should provide some consolation! I am impressed you could go through them all, until the pandemic hit I watched my unused RPUs/GPUs and then PPs expire at the end of the year. During the pandemic I still could not use them because I wasn't flying much, they just got extended.

Generally people's views in this thread whether UA should or should not extend PPs are a direct reflection of how it affects them. It's interesting to read for me since it probably has no major impact on me.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am so disappointed by this. This just leaves more PlusPoints in the system so those of us who are requalifying and do not need extensions will not get CPUs.

Not a change I like.

It is not as if planes are flying empty. They are flying full at the pointy end with very, very long upgrade lists
Originally Posted by Kacee
Disappointing for those of us who earned PP (and status) in 2021 the hard way.

UA's logic undoubtedly is that extending the points will motivate those who benefit to fly UA vs. the competition. Diluting benefits for the rest of us is apparently of little or no concern.
I would think part of UA's calculus is seeing how much business travel has resumed and whether they were comfortable letting expire PPs for this profitable part of the MP population that they would normally love to have back. But just my guess.

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
With all of these PP floating around, don’t expect STW to be prevalent across the next 6 months.
I wish they would do the opposite and sop up a lot of PPs out there by releasing more STW inventory.
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am so disappointed by this. This just leaves more PlusPoints in the system so those of us who are requalifying and do not need extensions will not get CPUs.

Not a change I like.

It is not as if planes are flying empty. They are flying full at the pointy end with very, very long upgrade lists
You're not losing CPUs to people using old PP, though, or else UA wouldn't feel the need to extend them again. You're losing CPU to a big increase in leisure travelers paying for J. UA obviously feels the current domestic leisure-travel craze is temporary but hopes the pre-Covid business travelers might still return. (Indeed, the domestic leisure-travel craze is probably keeping a lot of business travelers at home, both because of prices and because of the almost-daily airport meltdowns. I know I'm delaying as much domestic travel as I can until the fall.)
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm a heavy user of buyups - and I like the opportunity to buyup.

But the discounted buyup is a real thing. Almost 100% of the time at booking the Y to F differential is always more than $350 from HNL to LAX and SFO and vice versus (usually $500 or more). More often than not at purchase - I get a popup at the end of booking offering an upgrade for $350.
But, in fairness, should you cancel the flight, you lose the upgrade fee, right? So your "discounted" (bought-up) first class ticket isn't quite the same as one that you could have bought "normally".

So, it's not clear that there's anything wrong here -- one could view it as similar to how refundable fares are more expensive than non-refundable. You are giving up some flexibility, which has value, so you should pay less.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uanj
But at least you got to use them, that should provide some consolation! I am impressed you could go through them all, until the pandemic hit I watched my unused RPUs/GPUs and then PPs expire at the end of the year. During the pandemic I still could not use them because I wasn't flying much, they just got extended.
I have a great deal of flexibility and am perfectly willing to be a seat-filler for UA in order to get J at Y prices. I've never had a significant number expire.

A few of the flights I used them on, I would have gotten CPUs anyway. And even if I wouldn't have, I'd never have wasted PlusPoints on flights like AUS-DEN if I didn't have the impression that they were going to expire shortly.

I'm glad they extended them in general, but I wish they'd have done it all at once instead of doing it piecemeal.

Generally people's views in this thread whether UA should or should not extend PPs are a direct reflection of how it affects them. It's interesting to read for me since it probably has no major impact on me.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I wish they would do the opposite and sop up a lot of PPs out there by releasing more STW inventory.
UA has no particular desire to sop them up. Once they're used, they're no longer able to drive traffic to UA. In UA's perfect world, everyone has an infinite supply of PlusPoints that they always expect will clear but never do.
SPN Lifer, uanj and drewguy like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm a heavy user of buyups - and I like the opportunity to buyup.

But the discounted buyup is a real thing. Almost 100% of the time at booking the Y to F differential is always more than $350 from HNL to LAX and SFO and vice versus (usually $500 or more). More often than not at purchase - I get a popup at the end of booking offering an upgrade for $350.
That trick never works for flights from EWR or SNA.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't know that it will impact me. But I do think the endless extensions are silly and have created an expectation that people are somehow entitled to special treatment. Let's just be done with this and move on. Expire the darn things and let people start over.
I would think part of UA's calculus is seeing how much business travel has resumed and whether they were comfortable letting expire PPs for this profitable part of the MP population that they would normally love to have back. But just my guess.
Maybe. It's a zero cost method for UA to potentially tip the scales in its favor when a customer is making a purchase decision. To me it just shows how little UA cares about the ongoing dilution of earned benefits.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Maybe. It's a zero cost method for UA to potentially tip the scales in its favor when a customer is making a purchase decision. To me it just shows how little UA cares about the ongoing dilution of earned benefits.
It is natural for each us to evaluate this move in term of our personal circumstances.

UA will evaluate from the impact on UA feels it will have on the entire elite community
1. Those that are still constrained from flying or just restarting could view this as UA hanging in with them and having their back. (of course, there is uncertainty how much that travel will return, sure that has extensively debated inside of UA)
2. Those that have been flying (but did not {enough} in 2021 to earn new PP), will this as a benefit to try to use their previously earned PP
3. Those that requal in 2020 and or 2021 will see this as not rewarding them over those that did not fly during the COVID years and see UA flooding the market with PP, devaluing their newly earned PP
4. Those that will requal in 2022, could see UA flooding the market with PP, devaluing their newly earned PP
5. Those in the above that don't notice the extension or don't care about PlusPoints

There are probably other cuts, but UA has likely done their projections of the impact of this extension and decided it is best for UA to do this. Regardless of what they did some groups would have felt dissed by UA and some groups rewarded by UA. UA wants are of the above groups to feel "good" but that's an impossibility. So they pick a course that will be best overall for UA, in their estimate.

Some will see this as hurting their benefits, some will see this as preserving a benefit that would have been lost.

Each group could retort a particular decision meant UA does not care about them -- but as it is said, it isn't personal, its business.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Naw - I think the PlusPoints expiration extension is being driven by the UA Marketeers and them hoping that, with PlusPoints, these will keep certain folks (some 2019-era Platinums, 1Ks and GSs) more sticky to UA.

David
jsloan, SPN Lifer, chavala and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:07 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
I don't know that it will impact me. But I do think the endless extensions are silly and have created an expectation that people are somehow entitled to special treatment. Let's just be done with this and move on. Expire the darn things and let people start over.

To me, it shows the opposite. The people who made 1k in 2019 did so by spending and/or flying a lot more than was required of people who "earned" status in 2021, and the 2019 class did so just in time to not be able to use most or all of the benefits. People who, pre-Covid, flew a lot to Asia, Australia, and other foreign destinations can't realistically be expected to have started flying those same miles within the U.S. in the middle of a pandemic, no less.
Flying Machine and drewguy like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by js1993
To me, it shows the opposite. The people who made 1k in 2019 did so by spending and/or flying a lot more than was required of people who "earned" status in 2021, and the 2019 class did so just in time to not be able to use most or all of the benefits. People who, pre-Covid, flew a lot to Asia, Australia, and other foreign destinations can't realistically be expected to have started flying those same miles within the U.S. in the middle of a pandemic, no less.
My thoughts as well
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by js1993
To me, it shows the opposite. The people who made 1k in 2019 did so by spending and/or flying a lot more than was required of people who "earned" status in 2021, and the 2019 class did so just in time to not be able to use most or all of the benefits. People who, pre-Covid, flew a lot to Asia, Australia, and other foreign destinations can't realistically be expected to have started flying those same miles within the U.S. — in the middle of a pandemic, no less.
That argument may could maybe pass in 2020 or early 2021 before international travel opened up
Since then, they have been able to use those benefits freely on all United flights. 7/22 expiry was more than fair to give more than a full year of use of PP internationally post-pandemic.

Clearly OPM traffic is nowhere near where United wants it. I hope this means lower qualification thresholds in 2023.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
That argument may could maybe pass in 2020 or early 2021 before international travel opened up
Since then, they have been able to use those benefits freely on all United flights. 7/22 expiry was more than fair to give more than a full year of use of PP internationally post-pandemic.
Asia and Australia were open right after "early 2021"? Most of Europe? The best lounges were all back open?

lol

But forget about long haul. A lot of the countries in this hemisphere still have crazy Covid rules today.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I hope this means lower qualification thresholds in 2023.
It better goes back to $24k!
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clearly OPM traffic is nowhere near where United wants it. I hope this means lower qualification thresholds in 2023.
I think that this is really it. UA"s published requirements to qualify for 1K in 2023 are off the charts compared to the competition. DL is still $15k. AA has gone to the LP scheme so it's hard to make a precise apples-to-apple comparison but even if you get all your LP from flying (which is clearly not what they want or expect you to do) the requirements to maintain EXP are still nowhere near UA's published 1K requirements.

I will go out on a limb and say that very, very, very few people spend the amount of money required for 1K status without significant OPM spend. You have to be pretty wealthy to spend that kind of cash on leisure travel per person.

So if OPM spend does not recover, UA is in a bit of a bind. Of course the people who will qualify anyway would like there to be fewer elites, but remember that elite status drives business (people with status are more likely to book in the airline where they have status, in order to get the benefits) so it's imperative to UA that there be some kind of "critical mass" of elites, or they lose business". It may be great for you if premium cabins are half full, making upgrades easy and every E+ middle seat is empty, but that's not good for UA.

UA seems to have gone all-in to woo the business traveler, at the expense of the leisure traveler. This is going to cost UA a lot of mid-tier business. Why fight to maintain my Plat status when I can get DL diamond for only a little more spend (possibly the same spend of you consider that award flights count for status). This had been my question all year, and the reason that I've decided to move my UA spend to DL next year. I'm not suggesting that UA will miss me as a customer (they won't) but how many more are in my situation? Maybe they can make that up (and then some) with fewer, but much more valuable, business travelers. But, if that OPM spend does not pick up it may put them in a tough spot.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
It better goes back to $24k!
Not without the full return of TPAC OPM it wont.....

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I will go out on a limb and say that very, very, very few people spend the amount of money required for 1K status without significant OPM spend. You have to be pretty wealthy to spend that kind of cash on leisure travel per person.

UA seems to have gone all-in to woo the business traveler, at the expense of the leisure traveler.
My wife and I are both 1Ks without any OPM flying, and I dont think we are "wealthy", just have lots of spare time and take advantage of generous partner and bulk premium cabin PQP

But if we were to have to spend $48k in airfare (USD, pre tax), it sure wouldnt be on United, there are literally dozens of better airlines out there.

But I fully agree with you, United bet the house on OPM before the pandemic, firing all non-OPM elites (especially 1Ks). And it seems like they are stubbornly hanging on to that strategy by extending these upgrades

Not that PP are much use today anyway - but thats another thread.
hockey7711, chavala and Artpen100 like this.

Last edited by rankourabu; Jun 30, 2022 at 3:37 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.