Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update Me on Changes at IAH Please (last two years) / impacts of 2022-23 construction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 27, 2023, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: kirkwoodj
July 2023: Terminal E is closed for check-in, security, and parking; Terminals A, B, C & D are the same as before.
Print Wikipost

Update Me on Changes at IAH Please (last two years) / impacts of 2022-23 construction

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2022, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.

I'm taking my first flight since February of 2020 this week. Now that the mask nonsense has ended, I can no longer avoid traveling for work.

Used to fly 2-3 times a month. Was platinum for 5-6 years before Covid, never quite got to 1K, now I'm back to no status at all.

Regardless, I've heard there have been a lot of changes at IAH since I've been gone, most prominently the closure of the E garage and the E checkpoint.

My old routine was to pop in early in the morning, park in E, go through security in E (or C if it was really early), the head to the Amex lounge in D for breakfast before heading to my gate.

Can someone please update me on the changes and the best way to adapt? For instance, I've heard you can reserve parking spots now in C. Good idea? Where is a good place/floor to park in C? What's the best way to access E now?

Thanks in advance. I'm so out of practice.
Old May 16, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Consolidated IAH connection time/logistics-Domestic & International
Old May 16, 2022, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never parked at IAH so someone else will have to speak to that.

If you're looking to go TSA - Amex D - E gates, best is pass through TSA at term C, walk to D gates (about 5 minutes) or take train to D/E (also about 5 minutes, but less walking), then walk to E gates. Check a map beforehand to help be sure you're orientated correctly. This one from United has the right schema for gates, although the distance are a little distorted:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../maps/iah.html
Old May 16, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by fumje
I've never parked at IAH so someone else will have to speak to that.

If you're looking to go TSA - Amex D - E gates, best is pass through TSA at term C, walk to D gates (about 5 minutes) or take train to D/E (also about 5 minutes, but less walking), then walk to E gates. Check a map beforehand to help be sure you're orientated correctly. This one from United has the right schema for gates, although the distance are a little distorted:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../maps/iah.html
Pre-book parking, you can save 33-50%, park at A/B or C.
Agree with above. Consider getting CLEAR, especially if work will pay for it, since you have no status.
Most importantly, give yourself extra time to get to IAH, the construction has been causing massive traffic delays in trying to get around. Any other questions, please ask. I've been flying every 1-2 weeks lately.
Old May 16, 2022, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Yeah already saw that. It still shows the E checkpoint as being open, which is why I thought to ask directly.

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Pre-book parking, you can save 33-50%, park at A/B or C.
Agree with above. Consider getting CLEAR, especially if work will pay for it, since you have no status.
Most importantly, give yourself extra time to get to IAH, the construction has been causing massive traffic delays in trying to get around. Any other questions, please ask. I've been flying every 1-2 weeks lately.
Thank you. I am most concerned with parking, but traffic is also a worry. It has literally been two years since I've been to the airport.

How does the reserved parking work? I presume you are guaranteed a spot? Our lovely Houston government is so great, especially the broken circus that is airport parking, I'm really cynical about how well that works in practice.

The good news is that we are now allowed to fly First regardless of status, so getting through security isn't a problem.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 17, 2022 at 11:26 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies of same member.
Old May 16, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
You can reserve parking here, but in order to get a spot I'd do valet, which seems to be only $4 more a day. I've never had an issue with getting a spot either reserving or not, but depending on the time of day expect to drive around and looking for a spot.
https://www.fly2houston.com/parking
Cheaper to reserve than what you'd pay if not reserving. Be careful not to get stuck in the wrong line when trying to park at C. Construction is causing a mess around D/E.
Old May 16, 2022, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
With construction bottlenecking the CDE entrance to 2 lanes (or less), delays arriving landside to CDE are unpredictable and sometimes long. Park at A/B, clear security in B, and take the airside tram.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...e-some-relief/
IAH-OIL-TRASH and VRFast like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Over a month ago, there was a guy seated before parking garage entrance, a reservation was required to get to entrance gate. Only time I've seen that, maybe related to spring break?
Old May 16, 2022, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
With construction bottlenecking the CDE entrance to 2 lanes (or less), delays arriving landside to CDE are unpredictable and sometimes long. Park at A/B, clear security in B, and take the airside tram.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...e-some-relief/

Hadn't thought of that. Not a bad idea. I might end up doing that. Is Pre- open early in the morning over there?
Old May 16, 2022, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
As early as I get there (6am), idk about earlier.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
definitely avoid parking at C. A/B is much better. I've been using the parking spot to park. I've found them pretty reliable in terms of shuttles to every terminal and I find it less stressful not dealing with the construction traffic in and around the airport (short merges and crazy texan drivers are not a good mix). Precheck lines are not too bad anywhere, the most I've waited has been about 5-10 mins

Centurion lounge has been extremely crowded every time I've been there lately. I've mostly given up with it.
VRFast likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
just parked at c this past weekend. the traffic reorganization had me going in a loop since c departures no longer connect to the main airport loop during construction to the parking c loop(you have to go through the D terminal car flow to get to C parking/arrivals). Anyway, inside c is is pretty much the same. Doesn't look like it'll be done before summer traffic- so def leave some time. Else AB parking is more predictable timing probably if you wanted to spend the least time there.
Old May 16, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Traffic driving in and out is an absolute cluster. Park offsite and let the shuttle deal with the headache.
HawaiiDave and ll22949 like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
Traffic driving in and out is an absolute cluster. Park offsite and let the shuttle deal with the headache.
And definitely allow plenty of time to get to the terminal. I have never seen anything like the traffic last month to get to terminal C. It was backed up way before you approach the terminal. I had plenty of time and CLEAR so I made it but was not sure I was going to when we approached the traffic.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 4:41 am

Programs: UA Amex
Taxi, Uber, get ride from family or friend…but drop off at Terminal C Arrivals, not Departures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.