Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New United Ad Campaign: “Good Leads The Way” & branding / website changes

New United Ad Campaign: “Good Leads The Way” & branding / website changes

Old May 16, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I apologize for being imprecise in my language. I should've use "customer satisfaction" because I was referring to this J.D Power press release:

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...sfaction-study
Without debating the merits of JD Power, the difference between #1 and UA on First/Business is less than 7% (UA above AA), on Premium Economy it is a bit over 6%, and under 10% for Economy (and UA above AA again) - to me at least, it is not a large material difference.
Old May 16, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA MM
This reminds me of that bottom of the barrel Delta slogan from long ago: "We get you there".
dw likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Without debating the merits of JD Power, the difference between #1 and UA on First/Business is less than 7% (UA above AA), on Premium Economy it is a bit over 6%, and under 10% for Economy (and UA above AA again) - to me at least, it is not a large material difference.
IME, there has been a large degradation in UA's service culture and soft product. Now, I fly mainly business routes, East to West Coast, and understand that your experience is better, possibly because of your Hawaiian home base. However, UA is still at the bottom of the list in customer satisfaction, and the sample size is large, so there is something there that the average customer is seeing/experiencing.

Last edited by zombietooth; May 16, 2022 at 1:54 pm
Old May 16, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Action leads the way -- not "good" and certainly not fluff-ridden ad campaigns. Stop wasting money on marketing, focus on customers, and sell a better product!
zombietooth likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Unfortunately, this campaign is squarely in the breadbox for the "creative agency of record".

I guess you get what you get.

David
zombietooth likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Action leads the way -- not "good" and certainly not fluff-ridden ad campaigns. Stop wasting money on marketing, focus on customers, and sell a better product!
Perhaps UA's new slogan should be, "Good Enough."
dw, DenverBrian, rch4u and 2 others like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zombietooth
IME, there has been a large degradation in UA's service culture and soft product. Now, I fly mainly business routes, East to West Coast, and understand that your experience is better, possibly because of your Hawaiian home base. However, UA is still at the bottom of the list in customer satisfaction, and the sample size is large, so there is something there that the average customer is seeing/experiencing.
Best app
Connection saver
No change fees
Miles never expire
70lb. / bag for Silver and up
Free messaging

Several areas the offering has been improved the past 2 years.

If Spirit or Allegiant has better scores, then I know to automatically ignore the survey.

However, the ad campaign is not directly about such feature comparisons. It’s about the feels.

If they brought back 747s the campaign would be a home run tie-in
Old May 16, 2022, 2:18 pm

Admittedly, there are worse slogans out there like when Air Côte d’Ivoire introduced “Our best trip is you.” Or like when Air Europe introduced, “You still have a choice.” Or, how about when Malinda Air introduced, “Smarter way to stay high.”

I kind of like “To fly. To serve.” But of course, that’s taken.

With UA’s slogan, I get the gist of what they’re going for. However, their recent inconsistencies and the vagueness of the slogan end up meaning, “we’re all ok with being average lately so long as we go from point A to point B. And so long as people are fine with our minimum viable product, then we don’t have a reason to change.”
Old May 16, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DELee
Unfortunately, this campaign is squarely in the breadbox for the "creative agency of record".

I guess you get what you get.

David
This campaign may just pump up the UA employees. The average customers may only notice it if UA offers the best deal. The UA elites and Polaris customers are disappointed that UA did not use “Great” in the slogan.
PTahCha and ContinentalFan like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 2:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
What if UA figured out how much better they could do if all the passengers got off a flight and told friends/family, "Gee, that pretty good food on the plane today". Nah....

But we got "150 different pieces of video, digital, social and out-of-home content" to chew on....
Goes back to most people don't buy plane tickets based on food (or lack thereof). It's a topic that only FlyerTalkers would love, but non-sequitur for everyone else.

Originally Posted by jpezaris
Meh. Good. Leaves me flat. Why not Greatness Leads the Way? Or Excellence in All Things? Or Passengers, United, the World.

That was with 10 seconds of thought. Any of them could be used to draw a line from doing good in the world, which is apparently the virtue they wish to signal, to providing world-class service, which one can only hope they are trying to inspire their staff to provide.

Seriously, United, a campaign about Good is not good enough.

Every morning when I drop my kids off at school, I have them repeat to me that, "today, I will do my very best." United's marketing team appears to have missed that message.
Because they'll end up over-promise and under-deliver, and be used as a punchline by late night show hosts. See exhibit "Be Best".
Old May 16, 2022, 5:31 pm

no Rhapsody in blue - has United has officially moved away from this? That's the big news here for me if so.
Old May 16, 2022, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by tuolumne
no Rhapsody in blue - has United has officially moved away from this? That's the big news here for me if so.
Naw - not "good" enough.

David
Old May 16, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I think it’s good that they are going to be in line with expectations now.
We should not expect great, amazing, superb, phenomenal etc. Just good.
So at least there won’t be disapointment for people expecting to fly an equivalent or Singapore or Qatar.

oh, and don’t worry about the cost ! Our taxdollars paid for it !
Old May 16, 2022, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I can definitely tell we are all going to have a field day going forward with this new slogan.
drgreg likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Clearly the "Good" as intended in this campaign is the altruistic/virtuous "good", rather than adequate/sufficient "good". But it's a worthy criticism...

For those wondering why United didn't choose some loftier ideal, consider AA's since-abandoned "Going for Great" campaign circa 2015, which was pretty well panned and certainly did not lead to much greatness at all. Airline branding is tough...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.