Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Plane returned to gate twice to let people off

Plane returned to gate twice to let people off

Old May 15, 2022, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by ty97
I'm surprised the Connection Saver program didn't kick in here (though admittedly I'm not versed in how it works). OP, I'm sorry you missed your connection, not the way any of us want to start a trip.
This flight was almost 3 hours late, and we don't know how long OP's original connection was, but ConnectionSaver isn't going to delay a flight 1hr+ to save a connection (max is 15 min departure delay). Connection Saver looks to make small delays to flights, in order to allow connecting passengers running a few minutes late the opportunity to make the flight. It considers things like how late the connecting passengers are, how long the wait is for the next flight/final destination if they miss this one (i.e. last flight of day more likely to get held as opposed to one with a rebooking option 1 hour later), and the downline impacts of delaying this flight (crew duty times, connecting passengers on this flight still being able to make their connection, gates being blocked now delaying arrival of an incoming flight, etc). Flights going to HUBs are less likely to get saved as there are likely more connections on them then going to a spoke.

On a VERY high level, the simplest thing connection saver needs to do is decide how long should I delay this flight to restore the MCT from the delayed inbound flight, while not breaking the MCT for any passengers on the current flight who have connections. All while making sure duty limits aren't violated, curfews are met, and most importantly the flight still arrives on time (i.e. connection saver will never recommend a departure delay that also results in an arrival time delay).

And of course a connection saver is a recommendation to the airport to delay the door closure time, not a requirement that it be followed. Essentially the program is giving the agent formal permission to take the delay and not have it count against them, instead of the agent needing to seek out that permission from HQ for the existing reasons, but if there is an operational reason (incoming weather, curfew restrictions, etc) then they can still ignore the recommendation to get the flight out.

Edit: So I searched this a little bit more, since I realized OP gave us his departing flight too. OP's flight blocked in at IAD at 1810. According to FlightAware, IAD-BCN left out of gate C6 last night, and was scheduled to depart at 1810 (actual out was 1812). Given it was an international flight, positive bag matching would have had to be done before the flight was departed, and the cabin door closed before that, so likely the connection was already closed out before OP even got off their plane. Zero chance connection saver would have come into play here, since even with a 15 minute hold to 1825 departure, on an international flight I believe they close up at D-20, so, everything would have needed to be closed out by 1805. As it is IAD-BCN arrived 10 minutes late, so that arrival would have been even worse had the connection been held, and then knocked on to the return of that plane from BCN which then gets into EU compensation for those passengers. Hopefully OP was able to get rerouted through another european city, else they are likely airborne right now.

Like I get the reason for the delay was annoying, but zero chance a plane takes off with someone who doesn't want to be there, it's too high risk something happens while airborne. If you were flying polaris and it forced an overnight you would be eligible for food/loding. There's actually a good chance UA classified this internally as controllable since the delay arose from a customer issue, and then anyone would experienced the delay would get overnight amenities. Regardless, if you write in saying you were 3 hours delayed and then missed your INTL connection, I'm sure they will throw some recovery compensation your way, whehter that be miles or a voucher.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; May 15, 2022 at 6:01 pm
Old May 15, 2022, 5:11 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
What did UA do to accommodate your missed flight? Did you get out on a later flight, or did they put you up for the night in Houston?
Old May 15, 2022, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
This flight was almost 3 hours late, and we don't know how long OP's original connection was, but ConnectionSaver isn't going to delay a flight 1hr+ to save a connection (max is 15 min departure delay). Connection Saver looks to make small delays to flights, in order to allow connecting passengers running a few minutes late the opportunity to make the flight. It considers things like how late the connecting passengers are, how long the wait is for the next flight/final destination if they miss this one (i.e. last flight of day more likely to get held as opposed to one with a rebooking option 1 hour later), and the downline impacts of delaying this flight (crew duty times, connecting passengers on this flight still being able to make their connection, gates being blocked now delaying arrival of an incoming flight, etc). Flights going to HUBs are less likely to get saved as there are likely more connections on them then going to a spoke.

On a VERY high level, the simplest thing connection saver needs to do is decide how long should I delay this flight to restore the MCT from the delayed inbound flight, while not breaking the MCT for any passengers on the current flight who have connections. All while making sure duty limits aren't violated, curfews are met, and most importantly the flight still arrives on time (i.e. connection saver will never recommend a departure delay that also results in an arrival time delay).

And of course a connection saver is a recommendation to the airport to delay the door closure time, not a requirement that it be followed. Essentially the program is giving the agent formal permission to take the delay and not have it count against them, instead of the agent needing to seek out that permission from HQ for the existing reasons, but if there is an operational reason (incoming weather, curfew restrictions, etc) then they can still ignore the recommendation to get the flight out.

Edit: So I searched this a little bit more, since I realized OP gave us his departing flight too. OP's flight blocked in at IAD at 1810. According to FlightAware, IAD-BCN left out of gate C6 last night, and was scheduled to depart at 1810 (actual out was 1812). Given it was an international flight, positive bag matching would have had to be done before the flight was departed, and the cabin door closed before that, so likely the connection was already closed out before OP even got off their plane. Zero chance connection saver would have come into play here, since even with a 15 minute hold to 1825 departure, on an international flight I believe they close up at D-20, so, everything would have needed to be closed out by 1805. As it is IAD-BCN arrived 10 minutes late, so that arrival would have been even worse had the connection been held, and then knocked on to the return of that plane from BCN which then gets into EU compensation for those passengers. Hopefully OP was able to get rerouted through another european city, else they are likely airborne right now.

Like I get the reason for the delay was annoying, but zero chance a plane takes off with someone who doesn't want to be there, it's too high risk something happens while airborne. If you were flying polaris and it forced an overnight you would be eligible for food/loding. There's actually a good chance UA classified this internally as controllable since the delay arose from a customer issue, and then anyone would experienced the delay would get overnight amenities. Regardless, if you write in saying you were 3 hours delayed and then missed your INTL connection, I'm sure they will throw some recovery compensation your way, whehter that be miles or a voucher.
Ops flight was 2:15 late not 2:50. I could understand the inquiry why not holding 15 to 30 min for transfer pax as was commonly done on tpac flights in similar scenarios. But the nat tracks may be less forgiving on departure times. The downline schedule may not have much padding either.
Old May 15, 2022, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer

Yeah, I had sussed out the flights as well, which was why I commented. I definitely don't expect a one hour hold but United could have made this one work I think (and considering it is the sole IAD-BCN should have tried). That's IMO of course.
Old May 15, 2022, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by ty97
Yeah, I had sussed out the flights as well, which was why I commented. I definitely don't expect a one hour hold but United could have made this one work I think (and considering it is the sole IAD-BCN should have tried). That's IMO of course.
United hasn't said fully how connectionsaver works, but one of the requirements they made clear in the original press release is that connectionsaver won't make a recommendation that causes the next flight to have a late arrival ("ensuring those who have already boarded the aircraft arrive at their destination on time"). Given that even with a 2 minute late departure yesterday, the flight actually ended up 10 minutes late into BCN (presumably due to known taxi and airborne route delays), I don't see how they could have made holding the connection work within their parameters, when the OP's flight was re-scheduled to arrive at the time the connection was scheduled to depart. Again, since this was an INTL departure, realistically IAD-BCN began closing up at 1750.

Additionally while IAD-BCN might be the only non-stop to BCN, that was not UA's only option for getting OP transatlantic. Just casually searching, OP could have been routed via MUC or FRA, both of which offer multiple daily flights to BCN (assuming BCN is indeed OPs final destination).

Also another thing to keep in mind is that the held departure time isn't the time they want the passenger at the gate by, that is the time they want the plane out by. To make that happen, you're still closing out the flight 10-20 minutes before that new time. In this case, even with a 20 minute connection hold (which already exceeds the time limit they will recommend a hold for), this flight would have needed to begun being closed out at 1810, in this case the exact time OP's flight blocked in.
Old May 15, 2022, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Minnesota Bruin
There should be clear consequences for requesting a return to gate for non-emergency (e.g. airline ban) to avoid what otherwise appears to be "convenience" choice by a single passenger.
Some airlines like Qatar will cancel their ticket and bill the passenger if they cause a delay for other passengers without a valid reason:

Passenger Self-Offload Decision – Refusal of Further Transportation

If after check-in you and/or any passengers accompanying you decide not to travel on a Qatar Airways service without a valid reason and inform us less than 3 hours prior to the flight departure, then the following will apply:
a) If there is a flight delay as a result of your decision then, we reserve the right to recover from you any and all direct costs incurred due to disrupted operations which include removal of your baggage, flight delay, disruptions, and misconnections of other passengers. In addition, we will cancel your entire ticket for any further transportation with no refunds.
Not sure if United has anything similar in their CoC
Old May 16, 2022, 4:32 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by narvik
I disagree.
The easiest solution would have been to take off on-time, then deal with the passengers who wanted off, by deplaning them mid-air.
You have no idea how many times I've wanted to do that over the past few decades of my career!
Old May 16, 2022, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I was going to say most likely a sick passenger but the 2nd passenger threw me. Unless 2nd passenger is related to 1st.
Old May 16, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Connection Saver is alive and well. I see it on many of my departures from hub airports.

Often, it is just a reduction of the normal 15 minute (domestic) cutoff time by a few minutes. Sometimes it moves that cutoff time to after our scheduled departure time but not always. After that delayed cutoff time the agent still has to come down the jetbridge with our closeout paperwork, close the cabin door, and retract the jetbridge. This will often push our block-out time past scheduled departure even when the hold time was less than 15 minutes.

If you have a tight connection, operations and the gate agent(s) are aware of your situation and a decision has been made regarding how long we can wait for you. Connection Saver gives operations the information they need to make better hold decisions.
Old May 16, 2022, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by SSF556
OP I would be beyond pissed if that happened to me….and for all those who are shrugging this off as a bump in the travel road… nope this is an anomaly and should never have happened.

Those passengers who wanted off should have figured out their issues before getting on the plane and then when they landed at IAD they could have bought a ticket home on another flight, rented a car or taken a bus.

Screw those passengers who wanted off…they can get off the airplane when it lands at IAD!
100% agree. They should be banned from flying United again.
SSF556 likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by 757FO
You have no idea how many times I've wanted to do that over the past few decades of my career!
On a flight last year, the purser thought he was a comedian and announced multiple times that, if you didn't replace your mask between, "bites and sips", he would have to throw you off the flight, "and that is no fun at 35,000 feet".
757FO likes this.

Last edited by zombietooth; May 16, 2022 at 3:05 pm
Old May 16, 2022, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by zombietooth
On a flight last year, the purser thought he was a comedian and announced multiple times that, if you didn't replace your mask between, "bites and sips", he would have to throw you off the flight, "and that is no fun at 35,000 feet".
How would he know?

David
Old May 17, 2022, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Still reading through everyone's posts. We made it to our final destinaton (BCN) 36 hours late and a total of 52 hours after leaving our house in TX. Some clarification on the second passenger:

The second passenger that ruined everything wanted off so she could catch a 4 pm flight to montreal. I heard her tell the flight attendant. And the flight attendant said “i’ll ask the captain”. That was the end of the discussion, i sat across the aisle. Bonafide. Unbelievable. Unprecedented. The people that sat even closer (behind) were screaming at the flight attendant in the aisle, after the woman got off. "Why didnt you ask her more questions?! You didnt say anything to her.." etc etc. I can't speak to what the FA said to the flight deck, but this woman was pretty normal looking and behaving normal and quiet. I don't see how a risk could have been perceived.

United offered me a $300 voucher.. lol. I complained further.

Originally Posted by bigshooter
What did UA do to accommodate your missed flight? Did you get out on a later flight, or did they put you up for the night in Houston?
They did offer some bammer hotels, but I have chase sapphire trip delay insurance and put myself up. They put us on a flight to germany 24 hours later, which we board on time then sat on the tarmac for 3 hours, and missed our lufthansa connection. Made a later one tho...
restlessinRNO and cczzll like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 17, 2022 at 2:19 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 17, 2022, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by textbookwarrior
Flight UA400 yesterday was on time and at the runway when two passengers decided they wanted off, for what appeared to be not a medical emergency. Captain returned to gate. We pushed back again. During pushback another woman said she wanted off because she was now going to miss her connection. Captain decides to return to gate again, except now no gate is available. The flight was delayed 2.5 hours and about 50 people, including us, missed international connections. They didn't hold our connecting plane a single minute. We sprinted from d28 to c6 at IAD to find our plane still at the gate with the door closed and no agent.

Questions - 1) How can the captain do this? Apparently united has a policy to let “uncomfortable” passengers off? If so, absurd
2) What is my best path to some sort of compensation for the delay and upset to our vacation?

Thank you.
this happened on my last flight before COVID. We returned to the gate 4 times and the crew timed out. There was nearly a riot on the plane after the third time they made several announcements to get off if you wanted cause if we returned the crew would time out. 1 min after the door closed “I want off”
cczzll likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by textbookwarrior
Still reading through everyone's posts. We made it to our final destinaton (BCN) 36 hours late and a total of 52 hours after leaving our house in TX. Some clarification on the second passenger:

The second passenger that ruined everything wanted off so she could catch a 4 pm flight to montreal. I heard her tell the flight attendant. And the flight attendant said “i’ll ask
the captain”. That was the end of the discussion, i sat across the aisle. Bonafide. Unbelievable. Unprecedented. The people that sat even closer (behind) were screaming at the flight attendant in the aisle, after the woman got off. "Why didnt you ask her more questions?! You didnt say anything to her.." etc etc. I can't speak to what the FA said to the flight deck, but this woman was pretty normal looking and behaving normal and quiet. I don't see how a risk could have been perceived.
Thank you for providing this additional information. It is now clear where the blame for this delay lies. Sorry to hear that as a result you arrived 36 hours late to your destination.

Also textbookwarrior welcome to FlyerTalk. ✈️
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by restlessinRNO; May 17, 2022 at 8:46 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.