Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should I pay 103000Miles for a Europe roundtrip in July? What is the best mile usage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I pay 103000Miles for a Europe roundtrip in July? What is the best mile usage?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2022, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
How far out did you book that?
There are plenty of options. Just need to be creative. The below is in business on all segments.

DCJoe1 likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by divB
what would be the ideal investment for these 120k Miles?
Well I'm booked on PHX-DAD // DAD-BKK // BKK-PHX with every segment in business class on various airlines in January for 120k miles + ~$100 in fees; I'm pretty happy with that. Admittedly that appears to have been a mistake special sale on UA's part.

If you value flying in premium cabins on long hauls, and you actually want to fly long hauls occasionally, then your best value is premium cabin partner awards. This is pretty much true on every US carrier.

If you are ok with economy then miles are worth less to you. This isn't terrible but it's also not great. You can do better. But if you are currently miles rich and cash poor due to temporary cash flow issues, and you want/need to make this trip, it's not THAT bad. Cash flow issues are generally going to force suboptimal decisions; in the grand scheme of things this is a minor one.

The bottom line here is that 120k miles just isn't that much. I wouldn't sweat this one too much. Open a CC or two when the cash flow situation improves and you will have miles again.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cricketer
Looking at some of the summer pricing right now (and yes, it's definitely way too late to expect a good deal in any case) I feel really good about my 77K on TK business to IST and 60K on UA Polaris back from MUC. From and to the west coast. Seeing 380K on some days for the equivalent flights.

To OP - your 120K miles can get you two people in Polaris to Europe if you are able to find days/flights that work. If your timings are restricted, your chances are low other than to book either 330 days out or very last minute.
Originally Posted by cesco.g
How far out did you book that?

The outbound (for 2) was 323 days out, and the return (also for 2) was 265 days out. The real miracle is that 200-250 days later, the dates we grabbed turned out to work perfectly, and the flights still exist as booked, with just a 5 minute schedule change on one. I would have bet a lot against that.
cesco.g likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Whether miles are a good use are always going to be in the eyes of the beholder. There’s a lot of people who swear by the x cents per mile system. I use that as a base in many cases, but not as a be all end all. There are others who might be inflexible and need to book peak flights and don’t have the cash to spend.

if the ‘x cents per mile’ System works for you, then by all means, use it. For me, I’m not like the bloggers who might brag about getting 10 cents per mile on a last minute F ticket on LH, ignoring the fact They’d never spend the five figure cash fare they would have had to pay. If you’re after a truly premium experience, then that’s all good, just don’t try to tell me you got some amazing value based on a dollar amount you’d never pay. Conversely, if you don’t have the cash for a fare for a vacation you need, maybe you can rise above the need for some specific ‘value’ and just splurge with the miles.

Another thing to potentially think about is leveraging other points programs to help. There are times when I’ve used Chase UR to ‘split’ the cost of the flights we wanted to make it reasonable. 1.5 cents/point isn’t exactly the greatest value of points programs (though admittedly not the worst either). So I’ve used those points via the portal to partially pay for flights and pay the rest in cash. It’s also often a decent way to not pay top fare on peak flights, while also earning the PQP for those costs. So perhaps if you have UR available, you can split the difference this way. Just an idea to consider. There are also programs on UAs co-branded cards where you can use ‘Choice’ points (miles earned on the card) to get a statement credit for airfare booked on UA. Admittedly, the value isn’t as good (.01/mile, IIRC), but may be helpful.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Did you include partner carriers in your award search, or did you limit it to UA?

I assume you know that you do not have to return from the same European city that you fly into.

Edited to add: Looks like redemption rates from Europe are much more reasonable starting in the fourth week of August. Is that too late for your return?
Yes, I've look at everything that's close (and/or where I would have friends/family).
Unfortunately late Aug is too late for return. I saw that prices start dropping mid of Aug
I have to be there July 22 and then ideally staying 2-3 weeks (ideally ~ Aug 5).

Originally Posted by cricketer
To OP - your 120K miles can get you two people in Polaris to Europe if you are able to find days/flights that work. If your timings are restricted, your chances are low other than to book either 330 days out or very last minute.
Really? Can you show me how?
TWO persons Europe RR Polaris 120k?
If this is the case, I'd really rather purchase on $$ now and the miles for this.

Originally Posted by melissaaldric
As noted above, a big part of the problem is that it is fairly close-in to be booking summer award flights at this point (July is only 2 months out). There would have likely been more low-level options available if booked a few months ago. While it looks pretty hopeless to find July returns for under 70K, there are some places that have 30K/33K return options in mid-August and later. The routing on some is pretty bad, but there are a few reasonable ones out there (should add I have MileagePlus Explorer credit card which helps here).
Mid-late Aug is unfortunately too late. I need to be there July 22 and then I'd stay for 2-3 more weeks (ideally return Aug ~5).
I tried both with my profile (Silver) and my spouse (Gold + MileagePlus Explorer CC) but didn't see any differences in choices. Generally, can I expect to see better things in my spouses?

Originally Posted by KevinMD
If you are using points, United will let you fly to an additional city in Europe at no cost. We are flying to CDG in November and we paid 30k miles to get there. We will be traveling through France for a few days then booked a flight from NCE to ZRH on Swiss. Our flight home is out of ZRH and it costs us less than 30k. I believe it was 22k. Try booking it as a multi city trip. A few of the airports that we could have flown back home from that were less than 30k were ZRH, VIE, DUB, and AMS.
You mean if I book round trip US<-->Europe then one free flight within Europe is included? Is this general or what are the conditions? Sounds too good to be true.
Do you have a reference for this?

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Well I'm booked on PHX-DAD // DAD-BKK // BKK-PHX with every segment in business class on various airlines in January for 120k miles + ~$100 in fees; I'm pretty happy with that. Admittedly that appears to have been a mistake special sale on UA's part.
Wow, how do you find something like this?
Something like this would be amazing and I'd immediately save my miles then.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If you value flying in premium cabins on long hauls, and you actually want to fly long hauls occasionally, then your best value is premium cabin partner awards. This is pretty much true on every US carrier.

If you are ok with economy then miles are worth less to you. This isn't terrible but it's also not great. You can do better. But if you are currently miles rich and cash poor due to temporary cash flow issues, and you want/need to make this trip, it's not THAT bad. Cash flow issues are generally going to force suboptimal decisions; in the grand scheme of things this is a minor one.

The bottom line here is that 120k miles just isn't that much. I wouldn't sweat this one too much. Open a CC or two when the cash flow situation improves and you will have miles again.
I think that's part of the issue: While I really enjoy flying business (I only did twice so far) it is more worth for me getting multiple trips in Economy instead. It's like I'd rather to have 3 trips to great destinations in crappy hotels than a single trip in an amazing hotel. And then 120k miles really feels a lot to me (I saved them over 5-6 years).

Above I mentioned somewhere that in 2019 there was a Cyber Monday deal every destination US to Asia/Pacific for just 30k round trip! I was able to get a trip to Micronesia, absolutely amazing deal! Is there hope that similar deals will show up again?

Yes, in terms of cashflow it would be nicer to book a flight with miles and not pay cash but it really goes back to my original questions: Ideally I'd like to use the miles for something that with cash would cost much more, like my Micronesia example above. Ideally amazing destinations/multiple trips in Economy but if not, international Business class.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 16, 2022 at 12:34 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 16, 2022, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM

I think that's part of the issue: While I really enjoy flying business (I only did twice so far) it is more worth for me getting multiple trips in Economy instead. It's like I'd rather to have 3 trips to great destinations in crappy hotels than a single trip in an amazing hotel. And then 120k miles really feels a lot to me (I saved them over 5-6 years).

Above I mentioned somewhere that in 2019 there was a Cyber Monday deal every destination US to Asia/Pacific for just 30k round trip! I was able to get a trip to Micronesia, absolutely amazing deal! Is there hope that similar deals will show up again?

Yes, in terms of cashflow it would be nicer to book a flight with miles and not pay cash but it really goes back to my original questions: Ideally I'd like to use the miles for something that with cash would cost much more, like my Micronesia example above. Ideally amazing destinations/multiple trips in Economy but if not, international Business class.
You just answered your own question. You don't value J to be >>> Y... in that case, I'd just blow the miles and save the cash for your mortgage.
Don't think about the "time" it took you to accumulate them just sign up for a new credit card
Old May 16, 2022, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spending far too much time on FT definitely helps. That's how I found it. There was a thread about it here (someone stumbled across it and was kind enough to share) and the deal lasted 5 days. I would not expect anything similar any time soon but you never know. Having miles available to burn (which I actually don't any more) is nice to jump on something like this.

But if you have trip you want/need to take and the only way it works for you is with miles then spend your miles. You can always earn more. Credit card deals and partner offers are not going away. Don't limit yourself to earning from flying.
hsawaknow likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by entropy
Don't think about the "time" it took you to accumulate them just sign up for a new credit card
This.
divB likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
You have gotten good advice so far in terms of valuing the miles. The only other thing I would add in though is that using miles does not accrue PQP, and if flying to Europe on $$ allows you to requalify or increase the level of elite status for the following year, where you wouldn't attain it without the PQP, then that would definitely make me strongly consider spending the money in this scenario.
divB likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.