New EWR C123 UC has opened - 19 May 2022

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 11, 22, 2:04 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United Opens Its Largest Club in the Country
Photos(1)

New, 30,000 sq.-ft. United ClubSM at Newark Liberty International Airport offers more modern United brand experience with views of the Manhattan skyline, close to 500 seats, spa-like shower suites and a barista-staffed coffee shop

Opening comes just before Memorial Day, one of the busiest travel weekends of the year

CHICAGO, May 19, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced the opening of its new, nearly 30,000 square-foot United Club location at Newark Liberty International Airport, offering travelers a modern design, enhanced amenities and culinary offerings, locally-sourced art and furniture pieces and views of the Manhattan skyline. Located in Terminal C3 near gate C123, this club is the largest club in United's network, and is opening just in time for the Memorial Day holiday, which the airline expects will be one of its busiest travel weekends so far this year.



"As more and more customers return to the skies, United is committed to delivering a superior customer experience on and off the plane, especially in increasingly crowded airports," said Aaron McMillan, United's managing director of hospitality and planning. "Our new Newark Club location is carefully designed with the customer at the forefront with thoughtful touches like murals and décor that reflect the local community. This design theme and commitment to creating a locally-inspired experience will set the precedent for future club openings and renovations across our network."

The Newark United Club location features a new design and reflects a modern take on the United Club experience. It showcases many firsts for the club, as well as existing premium offering, including the following:
  • The largest club in our network: The club features more than 480 seats across spaces for lounging, working, private dining and socializing.
  • Spa-like showers: Members can freshen-up in one of the six, spa-like shower suites at Newark, stocked with Sunday Riley products.
  • Coffee shop experience: Staffed by a barista ready to prepare their favorite hand-crafted drinks, flyers can get inspired at the full-service coffee bar, featuring illy signature blend of 100 percent Arabica beans, in addition to culinary offerings in all United Clubs, like complimentary beverages and snacks.
  • Modern, Newark-inspired design: Flyers can enjoy unmatched views of the Manhattan skyline amidst locally-sourced furniture pieces and décor, as well as the new design and color scheme that will be rolled-out in future new and refurbished clubs. The space also includes modern amenities, like self-scan entry for quick access and free, high-speed Wi-Fi.
  • Sustainable, green materials: As part of the airline's sustainability commitment, the Club is designed with sustainable materials and features, such as WaterSense-rated fixtures, enhanced indoor air quality, green cleaning and more.
Additionally, in collaboration with The Newark Museum of Art and Gallery Aferro, the new club location prominently features two murals created by local artists, Gilbert Hsiao and Dahlia Elsayed. Inspired by the musical legacy in the Newark area and United's iconic history, Hsiao's mural, located in the club's entryway, is a deceptively simple, eye-catching piece featuring dots and circles to represent abstract beats in space as well as nod to the United globe. Elsayed's artwork, situated in the club's lounge, is an abstract and textural piece, referencing Arshile Gorky's famous 1936-67 murals at EWR, with imagery inclusive of built and natural environments of the New York / New Jersey area.

"The Newark Museum of Art is honored to be a part of this remarkable tribute to our community and our city," said Linda Harrison, The Newark Museum of Art's director and CEO. "May these tremendous artworks inspire and remind our residents and visitors of Newark's role as a cultural hub for artistic excellence and community cultivation. We are so proud to contribute to this exciting unveiling and pay homage to our special city with these two extraordinary works of art."

"Artists like Gilbert Hsiao and Dahlia Elsayed have a gift, which is to make the world new for us over and over again," said Emma Wilcox, Gallery Aferro's co-founder. "Gallery Aferro is thrilled to see these acclaimed alumni of our residency and fellowship program gain a new global audience of travelers with this project."

The Newark United Club location is the first of a series of United Club locations to open with the new club design and amenities. It's part of United's ongoing commitment to renovate and introduce new United Club locations throughout its network and provide a more modern United brand experience. For more information on United Club locations, visit united.com/unitedclub.
Print Wikipost

Old May 24, 22, 11:05 am
  #121  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Floating around
Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
Posts: 9,246
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
My thoughts:The new automated entry system's alarm constantly goes off, so sitting in the back is better so you don't constantly hear it. People were struggling with the system so they had to have a person full-time at the automated entry system anyways.
I entered the club through the automated gates. I had no problem scanning my BP. Thankfully I saw TPG's (or someone else's post about the club last week to know what I was getting into). I think the confusing thing with the system is the need to tell it how many guests are you with you. The way the "0" and "1" are put on the screen with no instructions makes me think the system sees me as having "01" guests with me. I think a simple change to the interface would go a long way to clear up confusion. Otherwise, after hitting "0" it let me right in.

The other thing I noticed was the customer service desk had one agent working (and a line) but I didn't notice any sign saying what that service station was for. I guess it's assumed? I may have also missed it because I only glanced as I walked by 3x.

-RM
SPN Lifer likes this.
RobOnLI is offline  
Old May 24, 22, 11:17 am
  #122  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: FLL
Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Posts: 650
I was here last Friday evening, which might have been the craziest I have seen EWR in a very long time. Nearly every flight was either delayed or cancelled and the place was simply chaotic. I thought the new UC would be a place of refuge from the terminal but I was very, very wrong. Despite it being the second day the lounge was open, I thought it was in pretty rough shape by the end of the day. There was garbage everywhere, the floors were already scuffed and, as others noted, there were bugs flying around the (much improved) food. The coffee bar had run out of items, the customer service desk was completely overwhelmed with just two agents at the desk (about a one hour wait to speak to someone) and the loud gate alarms were going off literally every ten seconds, as others have described. I also used a shower suite only to realize (in the middle of my shower) that the soap dispenser was completely empty. I recognize that it was a crazy day but UA has got a lot of work to do to make sure they can keep the quality of the experience under control when it's busy.
goldelite8 is offline  
Old May 24, 22, 11:56 am
  #123  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Wayne, NJ USA
Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Posts: 2,056
Originally Posted by goldelite8 View Post
I was here last Friday evening, which might have been the craziest I have seen EWR in a very long time. Nearly every flight was either delayed or cancelled and the place was simply chaotic. I thought the new UC would be a place of refuge from the terminal but I was very, very wrong. Despite it being the second day the lounge was open, I thought it was in pretty rough shape by the end of the day. There was garbage everywhere, the floors were already scuffed and, as others noted, there were bugs flying around the (much improved) food. The coffee bar had run out of items, the customer service desk was completely overwhelmed with just two agents at the desk (about a one hour wait to speak to someone) and the loud gate alarms were going off literally every ten seconds, as others have described. I also used a shower suite only to realize (in the middle of my shower) that the soap dispenser was completely empty. I recognize that it was a crazy day but UA has got a lot of work to do to make sure they can keep the quality of the experience under control when it's busy.
I would give them a pass for now. Gotta be some growing pains . . .
ContinentalFan and MatthewLAX like this.
elitefreak is offline  
Old May 24, 22, 12:21 pm
  #124  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 26,331
Originally Posted by elitefreak View Post
I would give them a pass for now. Gotta be some growing pains . . .
Agreed. I'll give them a month. Beyond that, I would expect the growing pains to be worked out.
elitefreak likes this.
MatthewLAX is offline  
Old May 24, 22, 12:37 pm
  #125  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 8,800
One thing I forgot to mention from my visits this weekend: There was no TV service at the bar. Monitors were installed, but apparently the "cable boxes" were not installed yet.

Just a warning if you want to try and catch some sports or something.
goodeats21 is offline  
Old May 24, 22, 12:57 pm
  #126  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 13,896
It looks really impressive. I’ll drop in the next time I connect through EWR overseas. It might tempt me to rejoin the United Club.
ContinentalFan is offline  
Old May 24, 22, 4:36 pm
  #127  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Posts: 1,500
I was in the lounge Sunday morning 8am and today (tuesday) around 4pm. Packed both times. It's a beautiful space but being that full I certainly wouldn't call it a refuge.
gooseman13 is offline  
Old May 24, 22, 4:49 pm
  #128  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 26,331
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
One thing I forgot to mention from my visits this weekend: There was no TV service at the bar. Monitors were installed, but apparently the "cable boxes" were not installed yet.

Just a warning if you want to try and catch some sports or something.

Too bad. I detest TVs in lounges.
MatthewLAX is offline  
Old May 24, 22, 5:59 pm
  #129  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 8,800
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Too bad. I detest TVs in lounges.
I don't necessarily like them in the seating / lounge areas, but think they are very appropriate and missed when not present at the bar. Bar area is a more "social" atmosphere, which TVs enhance.
elitefreak likes this.
goodeats21 is offline  
Old May 24, 22, 6:25 pm
  #130  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 26,331
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
I don't necessarily like them in the seating / lounge areas, but think they are very appropriate and missed when not present at the bar. Bar area is a more "social" atmosphere, which TVs enhance.
Fair enough. I just hope they are not turned up too loudly.
MatthewLAX is offline  
Old May 26, 22, 7:38 am
  #131  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: KEWR
Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Posts: 492
Arrived around 8am, place is bustling but not overpacked - chairs still available. I need to do some work for the next 6 hours - I tried one of those work cubes, no dice, table is too small, claustrophobic, and the area seems to get hot from the single incandescent light above. I moved to all the way in the back, it's a bit more roomy but there is talking noise from the bar area and the clanging of plates and utensils. Good breakfast sandwiches, coffee machine in the back is working. Wish they could also build a club at the middle set of gates (C101-C115).
miasmal is offline  
Old May 26, 22, 7:40 am
  #132  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 26,331
Originally Posted by miasmal View Post
Arrived around 8am, place is bustling but not overpacked - chairs still available. I need to do some work for the next 6 hours - I tried one of those work cubes, no dice, table is too small, claustrophobic, and the area seems to get hot from the single incandescent light above. I moved to all the way in the back, it's a bit more roomy but there is talking noise from the bar area and the clanging of plates and utensils. Good breakfast sandwiches, coffee machine in the back is working. Wish they could also build a club at the middle set of gates (C101-C115).
Is the barista on duty?
MatthewLAX is offline  
Old May 26, 22, 9:25 am
  #133  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: US
Programs: AA/UA/DL
Posts: 2,714
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Is the barista on duty?
I was there this morning around 5-6am and the barista was on duty!!
I really like this United Club and I really think it's the best so far.
Please see my video review!!


Last edited by pigx5; May 26, 22 at 9:41 am
pigx5 is offline  
Old May 26, 22, 9:34 am
  #134  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 6,385
Originally Posted by pigx5 View Post
I was there this morning around 5-6am and the barista was on duty!!
I really like this United Club and I really think it's the best so far.
Please see my video review!!

https://youtu.be/YZWletaRPYo
Wow! Great perspective of the lounge with this video.. Made me feel like I was there

thanks for all the hard work, editing and posting. Much appreciated.. Looking forward to my next connection at EWR (I can’t believe I even said that) 😀
pigx5 likes this.
Flying Machine is offline  
Old May 26, 22, 9:34 am
  #135  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 91
One time passes are currently accepted? Flying Saturday- I'll have access but my sister will not. Have passes to burn, wondering if I can email her pdf and she can use and grab a shower on her 9 hour overnight layover. Opening time is 0515 correct?
goduke7 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread