FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2078994-general-discussion-uas-inflight-service-domestic-int-l-all-cabins-archive.html)

threecap Jan 11, 2022 10:58 am

DEN-HDN yesterday, 61 minute scheduled flight, no drink service or anything in first. FA never left her seat in the galley except her walk thru to pick up sanitary wipe trash. ッ\_(ツ)_/ッ

MatthewLAX Jan 11, 2022 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by threecap (Post 33892631)
DEN-HDN yesterday, 61 minute scheduled flight, no drink service or anything in first. FA never left her seat in the galley except her walk thru to pick up sanitary wipe trash. ッ\_(ツ)_/ッ

SkyWest? IME, SkyWest has gone from first to worst in terms of regionals. Such lazy FAs and lame "short duration" excuses to avoid service.

DELee Jan 11, 2022 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 33892890)
SkyWest? IME, SkyWest has gone from first to worst in terms of regionals. Such lazy FAs and lame "short duration" excuses to avoid service.

That was my immediate thought as well. Just a question of which UX carrier.

David

threecap Jan 11, 2022 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 33892899)

David

yep, Skywest. Terrible.

dilanesp Jan 11, 2022 12:56 pm

Short duration is an excellent reason for a lower level of service

bocastephen Jan 11, 2022 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 33893052)
Short duration is an excellent reason for a lower level of service

only on United perhaps but not other airlines around the world

here is my breakfast on a narrow body business class flight on Swiss with a 35 minute duration. You enjoy those excuses, I値l enjoy better service on more friendly skies.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...17c16a2e0.jpeg

Bear96 Jan 11, 2022 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 33893738)
here is my breakfast on a narrow body business class flight on Swiss with a 35 minute duration. You enjoy those excuses, I値l enjoy better service on more friendly skies.

I didn't realize Swiss was now flying DEN-HDN. Good to know!

dilanesp Jan 11, 2022 6:33 pm

Show me the wide First Class seat you got on that 35 minute flight, and the extra legroom, and the personal device entertainment you got.
I can go to a restaurant after a 35 minute flight and get a nice breakfast, and not have to gulp it down in 20 minutes. What's the point of this? The symbolism of free food? Is this really of any importance?

Repooc17 Jan 11, 2022 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 33893891)
Show me the wide First Class seat you got on that 35 minute flight, and the extra legroom, and the personal device entertainment you got.
I can go to a restaurant after a 35 minute flight and get a nice breakfast, and not have to gulp it down in 20 minutes. What's the point of this? The symbolism of free food? Is this really of any importance?

It takes 20 minutes to eat that meal? That's like a 5 minute meal, max.

United couldn't even offer this even if it had tried. Most lazy FAs would need at least an hour on average to heat up food. On a flight last year, I didn't get my meal until we were getting ready to descend (and no, we didn't have any material turbulence which required FAs to suspend services). A few minutes after being handed the tray, FAs came around multiple times to "check" on my progress.

Inflight services may not be of importance to you, but others may have different priorities. Some people pay premium to for differentiated/elevated services more than just transportation from A to B.

chrisny2 Jan 11, 2022 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 33893891)

I think the previous poster's point is that while United obviously won't serve a breakfast like that, they had no excuse not to offer First Class a round of drinks.

DELee Jan 11, 2022 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2 (Post 33893949)
I think the previous poster's point is that while United obviously won't serve a breakfast like that, they had no excuse not to offer First Class a round of drinks.

Either a round of drinks, a round of waters or even a round of snack bags. Lot's of not trying and "maybe I'll get around to it" especially now on some of the UX routes.

At this point it's just excuses.

David

HNLbasedFlyer Jan 11, 2022 8:10 pm

Cant wait to check that out when SWISS flies from Honolulu. The fascination with foreign airlines when most of us fly domestically is - fascinating. SWISS is not a competitor to any US airline flying US domestic.

econ Jan 12, 2022 12:58 am

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 33892899)

Originally Posted by threecap (Post 33892926)
yep, Skywest. Terrible.

They're pretty bad lately. And not just on their UA marketed flights either.

bocastephen Jan 12, 2022 1:13 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 33894097)
Cant wait to check that out when SWISS flies from Honolulu. The fascination with foreign airlines when most of us fly domestically is - fascinating. SWISS is not a competitor to any US airline flying US domestic.

Unfortunately this is a straw man argument. This thread is about service standards, and the comparison is germane - two very short flights on narrow body aircraft with similar crew numbers. One airline, United, chooses more often than not to do nothing - or more specifically, their employees or regional contractors refuse to offer service and United refuses to hold them accountable to certain published standards - while another airline is able to serve beverages and a snack bag to everyone in coach, and a small nicely plated and presented breakfast to everyone in business in the same period of time.

International or domestic is irrelevant. The comparison of two regional aircraft, an A220 in this case, flying a short flight between business centers most certainly is relevant.

gmt4 Jan 12, 2022 1:51 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 33894097)

Indeed. Soft product and service differences between any domestic US or foreign carrier is a well documented and well flogged dead horse. I don't see how any of it relates to a UA domestic inflight service discussion.

Sitting there in your UA seat ORD-IND stewing about how you'd get a breakfast on a ZRH-FRA flight is pointless. A person will have a long wait if they expect UA (or any domestic) to start mirroring non-competitors on other continents on routes they don't fly.