FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2078994-general-discussion-uas-inflight-service-domestic-int-l-all-cabins-archive.html)

HNLbasedFlyer Jan 14, 2022 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 33902285)
SkyWest is just horrible these days. Another fire UA needs to put out.

And not just a UA problem - to be fair they also fly Delta, Alaska, and American.

I don’t think the majors have the will to put out the fire right now. What can they really do? Fire them and just stop service?

MatthewLAX Jan 14, 2022 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 33902316)
And not just a UA problem - to be fair they also fly Delta, Alaska, and American.

I don’t think the majors have the will to put out the fire right now. What can they really do? Fire them and just stop service?

Indeed, this is a major problem and the solution is not to fire them - that's an empty threat.

But UA should continue to insist that when wearing UA uniforms, SkyWest FAs follow UA protocol. It's not about whether anyone needs a drink on a one hour flight. Rather, it is that this is part of the bargained for exchange, even if secondary to safe and on-time transport. By failing to offer service, SkyWest reflects horribly on UA because most passengers don't know the difference. They only see the United Airlines livery on the aircraft exterior.

dw Jan 14, 2022 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 33902185)
AA is ahead of UA in terms of food on transcon flights. 2 entree choices (chicken or ravioli), salad, and surprise dessert all on one tray - as evidenced in this thread. There is a small cheese plate or hummus plate snack before landing.

The LAX United Club does have better offerings than Admiral's Club.

As a comparison, AA as of early November reverted premium transcon service in Business nearly back to what it was pre-COVID:

- four entree choices (with option to pre-order)
- appetizer and salad served before entree
- choice of three desserts (sundae, fruit/cheese or some form of cake or tart) served after the entree

I think the only difference now compared to pre-COVID is no PDB and the nuts were not warm

dshafiee Jan 14, 2022 4:13 pm

I used to go out of my way to get SkyWest over Mesa or Republic. Not anymore. DFW/IAH Mainline/Mesa service in F. SkyWest nothing. 4 times on them and never changes.

zeer0 Jan 14, 2022 4:15 pm

Those Denver meals have got to be a new low for United catering - quite an achievement when you think of all the other contenders over the past 2 years.

DELee Jan 14, 2022 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0 (Post 33902828)
Those Denver meals have got to be a new low for United catering - quite an achievement when you think of all the other contenders over the past 2 years.

I can see the descriptive language now: "DEN Catering has reached a new nadir in our deliveries and sourcing to United's flights."

David

Infinite1K Jan 14, 2022 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 33902357)
As a comparison, AA as of early November reverted premium transcon service in Business nearly back to what it was pre-COVID:

- four entree choices (with option to pre-order)
- appetizer and salad served before entree
- choice of three desserts (sundae, fruit/cheese or some form of cake or tart) served after the entree

I think the only difference now compared to pre-COVID is no PDB and the nuts were not warm

Also printed menu, warm cookie and milk before landing, and snack basket with a variety of choices. And hot towel.

You can also pre-order meals online.

Unitedloyalflyer Jan 14, 2022 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Infinite1K (Post 33903332)
Also printed menu, warm cookie and milk before landing, and snack basket with a variety of choices. And hot towel.

You can also pre-order meals online.

It's not all gold over there, however.

UA is providing J service to PP on those routes. AA gives that cabin ECONOMY service (if they sell PE at all)

Plus, the non flagship routes still serve cold sandwiches. We are serving hot sandwiches for the 2-4 hour routes

Repooc17 Jan 14, 2022 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer (Post 33903409)
It's not all gold over there, however.

UA is providing J service to PP on those routes. AA gives that cabin ECONOMY service (if they sell PE at all)

AA utilizes A321T on JFK-LAX/SFO routes. Only First, Business, and Economy (MCE + regular), no PE, so not sure what you are talking about.

Talking about economy, at least AA provides an edible meal (sandwich/chips - dinner, bagel/yogurt - breakfast) in coach. UA? A choice of a tiny bag of snack for 5-6 hours.

Unitedloyalflyer Jan 14, 2022 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 33903476)
AA utilizes A321T on JFK-LAX/SFO routes. Only First, Business, and Economy (MCE + regular), no PE, so not sure what you are talking about.

Talking about economy, at least AA provides an edible meal (sandwich/chips - dinner, bagel/yogurt - breakfast) in coach. UA? A choice of a tiny bag of snack for 5-6 hours.

MIA-LAX. 777-200. They have a PE cabin, yet don't sell it

DFW-Hawaii, they sell PE, but give economy service

UA sells PP on the transcons and Hawaii and give J meals

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jan 15, 2022 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer (Post 33903499)
…UA sells PP on the transcons and Hawaii and give J meals

Well, on the long-haul Hawaii UA does (ie the non-CPU routes to/from Hawaii).

dilanesp Jan 15, 2022 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 33902342)
Indeed, this is a major problem and the solution is not to fire them - that's an empty threat.

But UA should continue to insist that when wearing UA uniforms, SkyWest FAs follow UA protocol. It's not about whether anyone needs a drink on a one hour flight. Rather, it is that this is part of the bargained for exchange, even if secondary to safe and on-time transport. By failing to offer service, SkyWest reflects horribly on UA because most passengers don't know the difference. They only see the United Airlines livery on the aircraft exterior.

​​​​​​There is an actual contract, a literal bargained for exchange, and it says NOTHING about a drink being included.

Some passengers might have an expectation, others might not care, but it is definitely not part of the bargained for exchange. If anyone doubts this, call United and say you will buy a ticket but only if they write drink service into the contract, and see what happens.

HNLbasedFlyer Jan 15, 2022 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 33905110)
​​​​​​There is an actual contract, a literal bargained for exchange, and it says NOTHING about a drink being included.

Some passengers might have an expectation, others might not care, but it is definitely not part of the bargained for exchange. If anyone doubts this, call United and say you will buy a ticket but only if they write drink service into the contract, and see what happens.

I think UA mainline FA’s are making a good faith effort to serve PDB’s. It doesn’t necessarily have to be part of the contract.

With that said - not much AS, DL, AA, and UA can do about Southwest short of replacing them which won’t happen.

LifetimeGS Jan 15, 2022 4:22 pm

This is not a cogent argument, There are lots of things that are not in the actual contract of carriage, including getting you there on time, assigned seats, and service levels that are nonetheless part of a set of passenger expectations which United has shown a vested interest in meeting; hence compensation when a flight is late, catering fails, premium lie-flat seats don't work as they should..... none of these are in 'the contract'

dilanesp Jan 15, 2022 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by LifetimeGS (Post 33905439)
This is not a cogent argument, There are lots of things that are not in the actual contract of carriage, including getting you there on time, assigned seats, and service levels that are nonetheless part of a set of passenger expectations which United has shown a vested interest in meeting; hence compensation when a flight is late, catering fails, premium lie-flat seats don't work as they should..... none of these are in 'the contract'

They are not part of the bargained for exchange, i.e., the contract, as one poster said.