Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
What station did you fly out of with the nasty packaged fruit cup?
Eugene, Oregon.

FAs are supposed to prioritize pre-orders even over 1K meal preferences. Did the egg reservation on DEN-ORD not go through?
There was no reservation available. They just came through the cabin and asked us for our orders. I ordered the eggs. Then they came back and said, "We're out of eggs, will you take the waffle?"
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:09 am

I flew long-haul Polaris on UA1 (SFO-SIN) a few months back. I had low expectations of UA from the past, but Polaris met (maybe even slightly exceeded) those expectations. Would fly again if the price is reasonable.

Hard product felt like a standard reverse herringbone (generally my second favorite J layout after NH/QR-style suites), even though it was staggered - the adjustments they made took away some of the flaws of staggered seating for me. I had a bulkhead seat but the footwell wasn't any bigger than usual.

I found the soft product acceptable. Food was not mindblowing but decent, and the bedding was good. Service was also acceptable - no friendliness like the Asian airlines, but attentive enough.

Last edited by Beepbop; Jun 28, 2022 at 11:50 pm
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:03 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
Thumbs down I dread what is in store... PHL-EWR-DEL-CCU UA in Polaris on July 5

I last travelled the same route in same Polaris class in August 2021. Experience was abysmal, and changed the return to Lufthansa via FRA instead. Food was stinky, poorly cooked fish (no options) very poor cabin service. When I voiced my concern to cabin crew, I was asked to lodge a complaint. I did, and received a $400 compensation. This was a paid ticket (not a reward). Same route, same class, January 2022 flight was cancelled on the morning of the flight departure. Rebooked for travel July 5 outbound!
The comments in this thread don't make me happy at all.
The airlines keep upping the price, and lower the service, with impunity. All these comments of poor food and poor service on this and other sites seem to have zero impact on airline management.
I used to look forward to air-travel, not any more. It is not United alone.
I just flew ISB-LHR-JFK on VS Upper Class. I was told that the LHR-ISB-LHR flights were not loading dark spirits. So no Aberfeldy, no Woodford's, no Baily's, no Amerula. Also, no Italian red! At least the cabin crew were polite and apologetic, and we joked about Sir Richard cutting costs. However, on the LHR-JFK segment, the service was non-existent. I was served the starter with no cutlery! The flight manager and the crew did not even notice for 20 minutes, busy chit-chatting amongst themselves and with "certain" passengers. When I did point it out, the flight manager (I asked to speak to her) came and plonked the service item on my tray, with a perfunctory "sorry."
I was not happy and refused all service at that point. I now see that as foolish, because in all likelihood they had a laugh as they ate my Thai shrimp entree
I aske d for a feedback form, and was told one was not available and I had to report online. I did, and have not heard back from VS to date (about a week has passed.
I think this state of affairs is due to the fact that the airlines (with their lobbying) know that they can get away with just about anything, and are doing just that!
Reward travel is now costing out at stratospheric levels. Trans-Atlantic business class round trip mileage cost is hitting close to million miles!
Something somewhere will eventually have to give!
I am so not happy.
PACLipper likes this.

Last edited by spc354; Jun 30, 2022 at 12:08 pm
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Beepbop
Hard product was standard reverse herringbone
Doesn't sound like UA.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Doesn't sound like UA.
Good catch. I actually didn't realise it was a staggered seat until I went back to look at my pictures.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
Angry

Does nobody from United ever see these comments? My flight now costs out at USD 13,771 (Thank God, I paid a lot less). They are getting away with it, because they can..
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by spc354
Does nobody from United ever see these comments? ...
They may but do not confuse the FT UA forum as a feedback method for UA. You need to do that directly with UA, not here.
spc354 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spc354
Does nobody from United ever see these comments? My flight now costs out at USD 13,771 (Thank God, I paid a lot less). They are getting away with it, because they can..
Probably for amusement purposes.

If someone is willing to pay $13,771 for a UA airline ticket if a cheaper alternative exists with better service than UA - then UA will not relate to the issue. They'd probably shrug and confirm to themselves they are on the right path.

I suspect out of pure curiosity various executive peruse this site but I also suspect they've ruled out FT as representative of their strategies or of the general public.
spc354 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Acid
I've written to UA about my flight on 6/15 and provided info on the food quality/quantity(sent them the pics) and service issues. No reply yet....

Update - Got the following detailed reply -

We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced on your recent trip with United.

We have deposited 7500 bonus award miles to MileagePlus(R) account XXXXXX. The BONUS miles will post to this account within five business days.

Thank you for choosing United, and we look forward to welcoming you on board again soon.

Reference number: ########
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Update - Got the following detailed reply -

We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced on your recent trip with United.

We have deposited 7500 bonus award miles to MileagePlus(R) account XXXXXX. The BONUS miles will post to this account within five business days.

Thank you for choosing United, and we look forward to welcoming you on board again soon.

Reference number: ########
Are you satisfied with the response?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Are you satisfied with the response?
I didn't expect anything, so in that sense yes, am satisfied. They didn't attempt to show concern or take action on my feedback, so I can expect this level of catering and service to continue for some time...
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:39 pm

They didn't attempt to show concern or take action on my feedback, so I can expect this level of catering and service to continue for some time...
That's pathetic of UA. (I have a Polaris flight booked in Dec, and I shouldn't expect any improvement by then, I guess.)
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:03 pm
HAF

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

Does UA management care?
Despite the consistency demonstrated in all other posts in this thread for the past 2 years, offering abysmal and gross soft product in Polaris, you chose them over other options and you gave them your hard earned money / miles. So did all the other passengers in J - which I assume was packed.

So - Yes UA management is watching that they get full cabins regardless of the garbage meals they serve. So not only they won't change - they will make it worse.

And to put my money where my mouth is, after my UA trip to EZE in Feb, my SFO to India tip in March was on QR, My SFO to India trip next week is on QR, My Sept trip to Indonesia is on TG and my Dec trip to India is again on QR. .... Seriously y'all swing by the QR forum and take a look at what they serve at QSuites!

UA No More!
Old Jul 6, 2022, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I just took Melbourne to SFO yesterday (14+ hours), and I decided not show the pathetic meal photos.
It was as bad as it gets.

No PDB ( we were an hour late due to late coming flight from SFO), so it was understandable the crew tried to get the plane out to minimize further delay.
Choice of Beef, Chicken and a vegetarian options and I ordered the beef which was a low quality piece of meat that was too difficul to chew. Only half a bowl of salad was served with one of those impossible to open bottle of olive oil/vinaigrette dressing. After struggling to open it, it was too frozen to pour it.

Most of passengers were hungry half way during the 14+hour flight, and we were served Tim Tam and chips. No snackboxes that have been made available on SFO-SIN-SFO flights recently.

Only one breakfast option prior to landing, which was that green square egg based brick (shown earlier this thread). UA was too cheap to include a yorgut .

Does UA management care? I found it ironic and sad, that the biggest news was the return of lemon/lime wedges started July 1, and it even had a blog written about it.
Yes, it is sad that the only thing we have to be excited about is garnishes.

If you did take pictures, feel free to post them here unedited (you make the food look too good) or reach out to me privately. I'm writing up a very critical story on the state of meals on United right now. It has really become beyond pathetic.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:49 am

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
Was on UA 958 ORD-LHR today. It was my first trek internationally on UA since March 2019 - and I had been reading that soft product in all cabins is a serious downgrade, so I wasn't expecting all that much. Booked in Polaris. One positive note: We did have a printed menu. The meal came out and it was indeed a downgrade. Portions were small, quality was sub par, presentation and plating was also barely up to economy standards. What topped it off was that after the meal, I was waiting for ice cream and or cheese... Once the FA's turned off the lights, I got up to ask if I had missed it while watching a movie and not paying attention. Turns out there was a refrigeration issue and there was no desert, and no other food after main meal. No breakfast, no ice cream, no cheese. I understand that the primary reason to fly is to get from A->B safely, and that mechanical issues out of normal control happen. Even so, this was a very poor showing for UA. Thank goodness Arrivals was open for some breakfast.

Last edited by UAgeek71; Jul 6, 2022 at 1:51 am Reason: Spelling

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.