Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Seats are no different, meals are worse.
dkmatter likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonder if OP had only experienced new Polaris seats previously, and now got an old diamond or ipte seat?
ORDnHKG likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by pbh220
Hi All
Recently resumed overseas travel on Polaris. I found the service dramatically different from pre-pandemic. Noticed more seats added in Bz/1st with smaller personal space. Food service very different.
Curious what others perspectives have been. Thank you.
There is no such thing about more seats added in J class with smaller personal space

Since you mentioned Bz/1st, well no F is available for international for quite a long time, I assume you are describing domestic ? The PW772 did return and I presume you were flying 77G/77M since you mentioned more seats with less personal space ? But those F seats are not considered as Polaris and these planes fly mostly domestic and Hawaii
or you are talking about 764 with CO Business first diamond seats ? But those were there before the pandemic

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 13, 2022 at 10:25 pm Reason: unneeded comment removed
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
UA_Flyer This isn't fair -- this is what my wife sends to me when she complains when I make her fly UA -- STOP IT!

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
UA_Flyer - So is UA now offering a cheese plate on UA33 NRT-LAX? 😊
Yes, finally…. Months after AA and DL

Originally Posted by bocastephen
So nice to see your photos again!! Of course I suspect we won’t be seeing your photos of United meals anytime soon.

oops: had to edit for clarification, the second set of photos was a United operated flight?
photos are one thing, the food quality and taste are still below average.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: United, Southwest
I have a Polaris flight coming up in Sept/Oct ORD-ZRH. I don't do it very often so it's a big treat. And this thread is very disappointing. I don't want to even look at that cauliflower salad. So, here's my question. In the Polaris Lounge in ORD, if I brought a little ZipLock bag, are there food items that would be good to nibble on for the 8 hour flight? Or maybe there's a sandwich place in ORD? I remember, fondly, flying Freddy Laker back from Europe in the 70's and it was buy a meal or bring your own food. We brought bread and cheese and grapes and chocolate (and a Swiss Army Knife). Maybe that's what I need to do. I don't have any food allergies but I don't want to waste valuable sleeping hours waiting for food I don't want to eat. I'd wait up for a Sundae Cart but . . . that's not happening. What would you bring on a long haul business class flight with crap food???? (and I am spending the night in a hotel at ORD so can't make something at home). THANKS!
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
I have a Polaris flight coming up in Sept/Oct ORD-ZRH. I don't do it very often so it's a big treat. And this thread is very disappointing. I don't want to even look at that cauliflower salad. So, here's my question. In the Polaris Lounge in ORD, if I brought a little ZipLock bag, are there food items that would be good to nibble on for the 8 hour flight? Or maybe there's a sandwich place in ORD? I remember, fondly, flying Freddy Laker back from Europe in the 70's and it was buy a meal or bring your own food. We brought bread and cheese and grapes and chocolate (and a Swiss Army Knife). Maybe that's what I need to do. I don't have any food allergies but I don't want to waste valuable sleeping hours waiting for food I don't want to eat. I'd wait up for a Sundae Cart but . . . that's not happening. What would you bring on a long haul business class flight with crap food???? (and I am spending the night in a hotel at ORD so can't make something at home). THANKS!
Honestly, if you're going to treat yourself, fly any other carrier. J class prices are commonly matched across carriers. Does LX fly that route? Since UA & LX are partners, the prices could be the same.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: United, Southwest
Having to fly up to ORD to catch the non-stop (BNA is expanding the airport. Used to have a nonstop BNA-LHR flight on BA but it's gone for now) and the only other option is Swiss Air (LX) and the YouTube videos say the hard product (? seats) is better on UA. I used to fly SW to EWR to catch the overseas flight but SW doesn't do that route anymore. Maybe I should try flying to Texas and catching a flight out of there? For me, the seat is more important than the food . . .
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Having to fly up to ORD to catch the non-stop (BNA is expanding the airport. Used to have a nonstop BNA-LHR flight on BA but it's gone for now) and the only other option is Swiss Air (LX) and the YouTube videos say the hard product (? seats) is better on UA. I used to fly SW to EWR to catch the overseas flight but SW doesn't do that route anymore. Maybe I should try flying to Texas and catching a flight out of there? For me, the seat is more important than the food . . .
People in this forum way overstate how good the UA Polaris seat is. It's totally fine, but nothing special. On top of that, it can be switched out for old Polaris without notice. The LX seat is equally fine (especially if you choose a single seat, assuming you're traveling alone.) And, as stated, the catering and service are 100X better than UA. I'd appreciate others chiming in here, but I couldn't see myself booking Polaris given the disgusting state of the catering, and the "Russian Roulette" when it comes to service.
travelingman79 and DNAWilly like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Honestly for ORD-ZRH, I would just sleep the whole flight (for which Polaris is excellent) if I were capable of sleeping through the meal service.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
A bit off topic, but I have a fairly solid preference for the UA seat of the LX seat. The latter is fine, but a bit cramped and annoying to get in and out of. That being said, both are acceptable and I wouldn't go out of my way to fly one over the other.

But even with the abysmal state of UA catering, I wouldn't spend more than a ~$100 premium or go out of my way to get a proper meal. For that much time or money, one can just get a decent meal before the flight, and IMO it's not like most UA catering is a totally unacceptable source of calories if the flight drags on too long.
uanj likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by findark
A bit off topic, but I have a fairly solid preference for the UA seat of the LX seat. The latter is fine, but a bit cramped and annoying to get in and out of. That being said, both are acceptable and I wouldn't go out of my way to fly one over the other.

But even with the abysmal state of UA catering, I wouldn't spend more than a ~$100 premium or go out of my way to get a proper meal. For that much time or money, one can just get a decent meal before the flight, and IMO it's not like most UA catering is a totally unacceptable source of calories if the flight drags on too long.
LX catering is better, but the lack of air vents a dealbreaker.

Anyway, UAFlyer...wow, you make any meal look great!

Nice to see UA gradually improving.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 1:17 am

Programs: United-GOLD, AA
More seats

Originally Posted by angetenar
What do you mean by more seats added to business? I don't think any pre-pandemic Polaris equipped planes have been retrofitted to a dense configuration. Lots of discussion of the food in 2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business.
Perhaps the reconfiguration to accommodate more seats was done pre-pandemic-hadnt flown 1st/Bz since 2019-so…still my lie flat was great but unfortunately we got one of the diagonal configs and I barely saw my husband the entire long haul. Plus windows were entirely single seats-couples had to get up from their seat and walk to say hi to their spouse.
And definitely more cramped-took away the nice cubbyholes so I ended up sleeping on my ipad and noise cancellers.
I agree about the FAs; seats were difficult to adjust, all the sweet spots were gone at the meal service which has been reduced to a tray. Plus the worst of all-no dental floss in pack—YIKES!
And UA got a great bailout to bring us less.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:26 am

As someone who cannot sleep on aircraft, I find that the catering is one of the parts of the J experience which I look forward and with UA's abysmal state of catering it is dead last in my list of J products right now.

Yes, the seat is good and the bed comfortable, but again for someone that is just unable to sleep on aircraft, that is not my most important criteria for what makes a good Business product.

I think UA thought process goes something like that, we have the Polaris Lounges with good food, so why spend the money in-flight and the simple answer is because not everyone has the ability to start/end at the hub and not everyone will be able to have a long enough connection to enjoy the Polaris lounge.

With regards to the ANA flight what is with the gloves? AFAIK, this virus is NOT spread via fomites (touch) so that is just performance at this point.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:59 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Since you admit you don’t fly often (I assumed you meant overseas) then you will be probably pretty happy with the Polaris branded/equipped flights. I think most everyone will agree that Polaris food and service has slowly declined since it was introduced and the bottom dropped out of it during COVID. I have noticed United has been slowly and incrementally upgrading food and beverage service on Polaris flights this year but it has not yet returned to 2019 levels.

Food likes and dislikes is such a personal thing it’s always difficult to gauge how you will react….one persons swill is another’s gourmet. There are a lot of food snobs on FT, me being more of a critic than a snob. Most Polaris meals are edible and a few granola or power bars in your carry on (or a few items from the Polaris Lounge in ziplock bags as you suggest) can take the hunger pangs away if you are served something you simply can’t eat. I’ve been traveling to the Middle East for 15 years (mostly on United/*A) and have seen it all, and mostly ate it all. Polaris is miles ahead of the old 777 BarcaLounger IAD to DXB business class flights and I survived!

Don't let those who criticize, object to, or oppose United Polaris detract from what will likely be a very enjoyable flight in Polaris. Swiss is great but it has its issues too, just monitor their forum for a bit.

DEN

Last edited by DEN; Jun 14, 2022 at 8:49 am Reason: Mod: “Avoid stereo-typing other posters.” OP: Rewrote last paragraph to remove objectionable word.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: UA GS

have in mind that you can currently get a FC LX seat for the price of a Polaris ticket.
MatthewLAX likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.