Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:09 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
"To protect the health of the employees?" Good of management to warn them not to eat the food in premium. It could be bad for their health.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I pointed this out a few weeks ago - both here and to UA - and was told that this is to protect the health of the employees - yes I’m serious….
I’d love the explanation from UA on how bad food protects employees over good food.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
I’d love the explanation from UA on how bad food protects employees over good food.
Here is the response from GS when I wrote in to complain about other airlines offering much better food and service than UA:

"Hi bmwe92fan,

Thank you for your email. I was sorry to hear your were disappointed in your recent flight.

Our crews have still been concerned about social distancing so we have been returning slowly to our Pre-Covid inflight service. In our second quarter we will be returning to many of our onboard meal offerings. We have already expanded these offering on many of our domestic routes. The safety of our crew and passengers will always be our first priority.

Other partners are owned and operated by local governments, so their onboard return to service does not depend on the same factors as United or other airlines operating as US Flagship carriers. I will certainly pass along your feedback to our management team. I hope you will give us another chance to provide you with the service you have come to expect on United. Your business and loyalty to Global Services is appreciated."
Old Apr 11, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Theoretically, by minimizing direct customer interactions. The silliness with this idea is that a good crew will offer drink refills and interact with pax and touch their cups (where their lips have been) dozens of times over the course of a long flight. The real reason is cost. Kirby is struggling with increasing operating costs and, with no relief on the horizon due to spiraling inflation, he's cutting (or delaying return to previous service levels) where he can. Unless the airlines can increase average airfares and have them stick, there will be some serious bloodletting to come.

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 11, 2022 at 10:00 am
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Here is the response from GS when I wrote in to complain about other airlines offering much better food and service than UA:

"Hi bmwe92fan,

Our crews have still been concerned about social distancing so we have been returning slowly to our Pre-Covid inflight service. The safety of our crew and passengers will always be our first priority.
I find it amusing that after decides of toxic relations with inflight, all of a sudden UA management is bending over backwards, allegedly to accommodate them. The tiresome "safety of our crew" pledge as a contributor to the sad inflight service borders on insulting.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Theoretically, by minimizing direct customer interactions. The silliness with this idea is that a good crew will offer drink refills and interact with pax and touch their cups dozens of times over the course of a long flight. The real reason is cost. Kirby is struggling with increasing operating costs and, with no relief on the horizon due to spiraling inflation, he's cutting where he can. Unless the airlines can increase average airfares and have them stick, there will be some serious bloodletting to come.
The decision was made well before the onset of inflationary pressure. United reduced FA staffing levels on the Intl flights, all but guaranteeing no quick return to pre-COVID service levels.

They can improve things a bit by increasing catering budget, which could result in better food quality. But without the correct staffing levels, things like a sundae cart, extra passes of bread basket, timely drink refills and multi-course serving rates, etc are all going to struggle.

And some portion of customers are going to blame the FAs.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: UA MM

"Hi bmwe92fan,

Thank you for your email. I was sorry to hear your were disappointed in your recent flight.

Our crews have still been concerned about social distancing so we have been returning slowly to our Pre-Covid inflight service. In our second quarter we will be returning to many of our onboard meal offerings. We have already expanded these offering on many of our domestic routes. The safety of our crew and passengers will always be our first priority.

Other partners are owned and operated by local governments, so their onboard return to service does not depend on the same factors as United or other airlines operating as US Flagship carriers. I will certainly pass along your feedback to our management team. I hope you will give us another chance to provide you with the service you have come to expect on United. Your business and loyalty to Global Services is appreciated."
So what are they saying? Other airlines have cleaner cabin air so they can stay healthy AND perform better service?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
"Our crews have still been concerned about social distancing"
This is not good messaging especially considering the crew is largely the opposite.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
It appears in-flight menus may be back soon? This was posted on Twitter from United in-flight ops supervisor in SFO. While this is just a trial, these meals look like an improvement to want is currently be served.

Old Apr 11, 2022, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Wait - slippers and especially the gel pillow aren’t provisioned standard at every seat? You have to ask nicely now?

And no mention of mattress pad or PJs at all?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Wait - slippers and especially the gel pillow aren’t provisioned standard at every seat? You have to ask nicely now?

I did both TPAC and TATL roundtrips in past 2 weeks, all had gel pillows on seats on boarding. TPAC had slippers at seats too, had to ask for pyjamas, although they were likely going to be offered. TATL had to ask for slippers, although was already offered by purser on return leg, and PJs aren't available on TATL anyway, brought my own. Basically same as before COVID. I saw mattress pads in overhead bins on TPAC, I don't use them and wasn't offered.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by BDFlyer15
It appears in-flight menus may be back soon? This was posted on Twitter from United in-flight ops supervisor in SFO. While this is just a trial, these meals look like an improvement to want is currently be served.

https://twitter.com/aviatordave/stat...hL5-mBIfYUQ1nA
Yes, printed menus are supposed to be coming back....to offer the same really horrible food choices that have plagued Polaris for years now. I was told they were coming April 1 but I guess they pushed that date back, too.

-RM
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by Repooc17
This is not good messaging especially considering the crew is largely the opposite.
Social distancing also doesn’t explain why the food is low quality. You good serve better quality food on a single tray. Pathetic response.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:35 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Other partners are owned and operated by local governments,

That will come as a surprise to many foreign carriers.

Even leaving this point aside, I've seen numerous reports of significantly better catering on AA and DL in comparison to UA.

Edited to add: sorry, bmwe, the way I quoted you made it sound like you said this yourself, when you were just quoting UA's letter to you.

Last edited by Unimatrix One; Apr 12, 2022 at 5:01 am
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by BDFlyer15

https://twitter.com/aviatordave/stat...hL5-mBIfYUQ1nA
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Yes, printed menus are supposed to be coming back....to offer the same really horrible food choices that have plagued Polaris for years now. I was told they were coming April 1 but I guess they pushed that date back, too.

-RM
I guess the wine list is printed on the back side....?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.