Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Is revenue/profit not inherently impacted when any food or beverage service is introduced/improved onboard?

On another note, a flight attendant sent me the UA flight attendant manual, which was revised earlier this month. Wish I could post it because it is fascinating...

One thing I noticed that gets back to our earlier discussion:

We consumers are not enforcers of United's internal rules. This is true in any workplace- the internal policies of an employer are between the employer and the employee. And over a beverage! Imagine!

Look, at the end of the day two things are obviously true: (1) a lot of business class travelers do not care about getting whatever the definition of "gourmet" food and beverage and believe that United's tasty Polaris meals (and they are tasty- I have had several recently) are just fine; and (2) FF programs, both through airline alliances and through upgrades, decrease the incentive of United to spend a ton of money on their business class food service, because they have a captive audience.

Instead of complaining about United's food like it is some sort of outrage rather than an airline serving its customers' preferences, I would suggest that people who care about this issue should avail themselves of the options the market offers (mostly 3 class First on foreign carriers) that serve the type of food they want. If the Star Alliance loses enough business in this fashion, United may have to up its food game. Or maybe it won't and will just serve the far larger part of the market who don't feel that the food on an airplane flight has to taste and be delivered like a 3-star restaurant on the ground. Either way, it won't be outrageous, and if something violates United's internal policies (which the general public is not even supposed to have access to), that's irrelevant.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 22, 2022 at 3:33 pm Reason: quote updated per Moderator edit
Old Feb 22, 2022, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Look, at the end of the day two things are obviously true: (1) a lot of business class travelers do not care about getting whatever the definition of "gourmet" food and beverage and believe that United's tasty Polaris meals (and they are tasty- I have had several recently) are just fine; and (2) FF programs, both through airline alliances and through upgrades, decrease the incentive of United to spend a ton of money on their business class food service, because they have a captive audience.
1) I have been told by "experts" business travelers have not traveling.

2) Taste is subjective. You may think UA catering is "tasty"; others think they are disgusting.

Can't follow your 2nd point. Upgrades disincentivize UA to improve inflight services? Just the other day we were told there are no upgrades to be had.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Seems to be a base misunderstanding of frequent flyer programs being bandied about on here.

News Flash......
MileagePlus is a money maker for United Airlines.

Demonizing FFP as an excuse to serve slop. Interesting perspective.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Seems to be a base misunderstanding of frequent flyer programs being bandied about on here.

News Flash......
MileagePlus is a money maker for United Airlines.

Demonizing FFP as an excuse to serve slop. Interesting perspective.
The majority of the profit comes from the sale of miles to CC companies. It's a guaranteed money maker as the airlines devalue the miles and points continually and evidently have a consistent 20+% profit margin. See here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/advisor...h=3c187f6f14e9

However, selling miles to third parties that award them to various customers really doesn't translate into operating profit. So, given the reality that improving UA's soft product in F would be expensive, I wouldn't count on any significant changes in quality without concurrent increases in price. And, if UA increases price too much, they'll lose the "Kayakers", like myself, to DL and AA.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
And, if UA increases price too much, they'll lose the "Kayakers", like myself, to DL and AA.
And they will certainly lose corporate contracts as AA and DL swoop in to show how much various companies can save over UA's higher ticket prices - corporate travel managers don't care about your onboard food and beverage - they are held accountable to the $'s. UA is in no position to raise ticket prices over competitors - all downside.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
We consumers are not enforcers of United's internal rules.
I am.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Pretty illogical (albeit humorous) to see one claim that UA cannot offer premium food because of too many upgrades and then another claim that UA cannot offer premium food because first class cabins sell out and therefore UA has no incentive to improve food.

Clearly shows that too many are operating from (false) assumptions...
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Neither have anything to do with onboard food
But at least pick a narrative as to the current state. Is it too high % free upgrades? Or a high % of sold seats? I mean that can be validated with data.

And if it doesn稚 matter, why introduce it in the argument? It is extraneous.

The more likely answer is Kirby Kwality, no correlation to anything else. As that logic works independent of sales data
Old Feb 23, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: united
I am.
No, you are a third party commentator.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
But at least pick a narrative as to the current state. Is it too high % free upgrades? Or a high % of sold seats? I mean that can be validated with data.

And if it doesn稚 matter, why introduce it in the argument? It is extraneous.

The more likely answer is Kirby Kwality, no correlation to anything else. As that logic works independent of sales data
For an airline to up their food service you need those seats to be empty. If people are paying that means they are fine with the level of service. If people are upgraded they paid less and the airline doesn't need to give them upgraded service.

The only way United feels the heat is if high value travelers abandon them.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 23, 2022 at 9:47 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 23, 2022, 4:04 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Instead of complaining about United's food like it is some sort of outrage rather than an airline serving its customers' preferences, I would suggest that people who care about this issue should avail themselves of the options the market offers (mostly 3 class First on foreign carriers) that serve the type of food they want.
Or fly J on any of a wide range of airlines that serve better food than UA. (If business class travelers don't care about food, why are there many airlines around the world serving better food than UA?)
Old Feb 23, 2022, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
For an airline to up their food service you need those seats to be empty. If people are paying that means they are fine with the level of service. If people are upgraded they paid less and the airline doesn't need to give them upgraded service.

The only way United feels the heat is if high value travelers abandon them.
Still can't follow the logic but there are all kinds of reasons why people pay for premium cabin (outright), certainly more than just for the catering and inflight services - you can't box everything into the same group and category.

Likewise, not all fares buckets are the same. You can't just group all Y cabin fares on one level, and F/J pax as another.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Still can't follow the logic but there are all kinds of reasons why people pay for premium cabin (outright), certainly more than just for the catering and inflight services - you can't box everything into the same group and category.

Likewise, not all fares buckets are the same. You can't just group all Y cabin fares on one level, and F/J pax as another.
Last point is key and underlies the incredibly jejune assumptions at play. So many confident statements being made with absolutely no data to back them up.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
We have a choice of airlines. Just saying. All these post about UA sold out F/J and no upgrades indicate at least to me - no incentive for UA to change things. Fly Delta - but why not post this in DL forum?
I've status matched to Delta (and retained it with 2021 BIS) because for some of my routes DL first is even cheaper than UA.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Originally Posted by Repooc17

Business owner here, so I fly on my own dollar. 90% of the time, I have work to do on my laptop while flying. During peak-COVID 2020 I was fine flying economy, because on the 25-33% of the time that I wasn't CPU'd, I was always flying without someone in the middle seat, and I could therefore work on the plane. But it's impossible to do that in the extra leg room seats when you have a seatmate neighbor, and frankly inconsiderate to try because there is no way that my elbows aren't pointing out.

In my experience at LEAST half of economy passengers are inconsiderate enough with personal space - legs spread well over the imaginary dividing line beyond the seat, arms and elbows well over the actual common armrest line... it's pretty bad. To try to get my laptop in front of me and be productive in that space, with that being my typical econ seatmate, and work for 2.5+ hours on my average segment... its just not practical. It's well worth the extra money to be able to get my stuff done without all that.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by threecap
I've status matched to Delta (and retained it with 2021 BIS) because for some of my routes DL first is even cheaper than UA.
I loved flying DL during the early part of the pandemic. They had empty seats next to everyone in F and good service. However, unless I was flying somewhere like SLC, they were almost always more expensive than UA on transcons to the West Coast. I still fly Delta Connection quite a bit in the Southeast due to lack of UA service. Their call center, however, is a mess.

Like you, I am a small business owner and always fly on my own dime. I also book all of the air travel for my contractors because I'm really good at it. For me, price is the only consideration (assuming similar short total transit times).

Last edited by zombietooth; Feb 23, 2022 at 9:22 am
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Last point is key and underlies the incredibly jejune assumptions at play. So many confident statements being made with absolutely no data to back them up.
But empty seats will mean better food. But wait. With empty seats Kirby needs cost cuts. So no better food.

Whether F is 100% paid J or 100% upgraders or 100% empty, somehow we arrive at the same result. That痴 quite the 5D chess.

In the meantime, this thread is about COVID related service. Even if they choose to serve lesser quality, there is the valid question of the actual service resuming normalcy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.