Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int値, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Would like to suggest as this is not a legal case, discussion or forum, let's stick to common, dictionary usage definitions that a typical customer would use themselves

Such as
reliance

reキliキance (rĭ-lī′əns)
n.
1. The act of relying or the state of being reliant: the economy's reliance on imported oil.
2. The faith, confidence, or trust felt by one who relies: The general placed his reliance on the element of surprise. See Synonyms at trust.
3. Archaic One relied on; a mainstay.
In exchange, I agree not to correct common lay usage of terms relating to my profession (which occurs frequently in FT)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
The problem in this thread, over and over and over again, is assumptions treated as fact that have never actually been proven or verified.
C知on now, isn稚 Polaris being only about TATL overnights to Europe bulletproof fact?

My multiple SIN/NRT-SFO over the years (and the pajamas to prove it) must have never happened.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Because the entire Polaris product is about sleep on your eastbound overnight flight. You get an amazing dinner in the lounge, take a shower, and then can sleep like a baby in your slippers in that amazing seat with nobody stepping over you. Which is why the branding of the product is centered around stars.
No it's not - those are options not hard design requirements. The customer can decide if they want to dine in the lounge and sleep on board, or arrive at the airport later and dine on board. Also, no one is suggesting that United serve lobster thermidor, but simply avoid serving inedible slop like the salt-lick ragu, or slime sandwich, and restore the Polaris meal quantity and quality to what it looked like a couple years ago. You can't tell me that an open buffet in the UC or PL is OK, but an ice cream sundae or small pastries introduce an unacceptable risk of viral transmission. In fact, the restoration of buffet service at the UC is proof positive the airline's own claims about "for your safety" are nothing but nonsense.

If UA was a little smarter, they would restore domestic F catering to the Continental era with a side salad, bowl of soup, entree and cake slice on flights over 1500 miles, and a cold plate (steak and noodle salad, etc) for shorter flights or UX aircraft without ovens. Standardize on the components, and swap out the content throughout the network during the year - especially with pretty obvious data that far more people are paying outright for F, using upgrade instruments or paying buy-up fees vs waiting for a freebie on the upgrade list.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen

If UA was a little smarter, they would restore domestic F catering to the Continental era with a side salad, bowl of soup, entree and cake slice on flights over 1500 miles, and a cold plate (steak and noodle salad, etc) for shorter flights or UX aircraft without ovens. Standardize on the components, and swap out the content throughout the network during the year - especially with pretty obvious data that far more people are paying outright for F, using upgrade instruments or paying buy-up fees vs waiting for a freebie on the upgrade list.
If your premise is correct - UA does not need to do anything.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Right? Why even offer any food, any services on board? Those F seats sell themselves because people accept mediocrity
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Because UA has never made a mistake it has come to regret later, right?
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Kirby stated that he aims to make UA one of the world's premiere airlines.

Having a top notch PE/domestic F/ Polaris is needed to achieve this.

For flights under 3 hours, yes, I've said the sandwiches are fine. Yes, they may be fattening (though the melted cheese is good). I can run a mile or two to take care of that once I land.

Longer than 3 hours, that is where UA needs to improve their premium product offering. The time has come to bring back the full pre covid services here. Keep the current Polaris product as the new PP product. That would solidify UA as having a top notch PE product. Maybe not go back to the initial Polaris product for the premium transcons/Longhaul Hawaii/int'l, but have a solid 3 course meal (no, the trial to FRA is not that, nuts are not a course, that product is fine on non premium domestic transcon routes) of bread and appetizer, salad and entre, finished up with a sundae. That would be a very solid premium domestic and int'l business class product
Old Feb 18, 2022, 3:30 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Polaris is a product centered around sleep. And it does what it supposed to do extremely well.
I 100% agree with you on the sleep part. United has among the best business class bedding in the sky IMO and even though they removed a couple of elements during the pandemic I still think it's a great sleep and on my ultra-long hauls and Europe flights over the last few months I've gotten great sleep. I don't think too many people will contest that.

And a matter of fact, fine have your case for Europe TATL flights, Sure its short and people want to sleep but nearly everyone on my last TATL to MUC (that too was a high J) opted into eating dinner and breakfast. Just a single data point but still. But let's say most people want to sleep on these 6-8 hour Europe flights.

What about those long 12+ hour flights deep into whatever part of Asia and Africa 12-15 hours to the far east depending on where in the US you are flying from and 14-16 hours to India wherever you are flying from. Sleep is important but the "PJ" flights are long enough that warrant more food.

What I (and many others) will contest, is the quantity and quality of food. Realistically, is something like this supposed to keep any human full on a 14+ hour flight? I was starving and granted I have a fast metabolism and many do not, but something like below can't be accepted for these long long flights, there has to be more food.

As others have said, it's not about getting fancy lobsters and SQ Book the cook type of dishes, but something edible and something substantial would be greatly appreciated. BTW the above was not only no food, it was also absolutely tasteless to my point. That's all I'm saying: just some more food to eat and some improvements would be welcome too.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:01 am

Programs: UA
The food is quite good for its purpose- you don't go hungry in Polaris, and you get great sleep.
If "gourmet" food on an airplane is your thing, spring for one of the European carriers' three class First products.
Sorry, what? I have to fly FIRST class in order to get a decent meal that isn't United Polaris business class food? LH/OS/LX all have excellent food in business, Turkish is also excellent. Delta and AA are miles ahead as well.

This is what I was served. This is a Y class meal upgraded with a bunch of PlusPoints:

The entree is straight from Lean Cuisine, bread was hard, salad was meh. Plus no menu, or drink/wine list? Oh, and look, the post-departure nuts and champagne also came on this plate as well- I guess flight attendants railing against Covid is to blame for this "all on one tray" concept, even though every single passenger on this plane was mandated to have a negative PCR before flight. (And even AA doesn't serve the nuts on the main dinner tray). At least the ice cream was soft by the time I ate it, although it would be really nice if UA brought back sundaes. The AA celebrity chef thing seems to work really well at AA -- wonder if there are any plans to overhaul UA food? The people celebrating the food on this thread truly have Stockholm Syndrome.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by DoctorORD
Sorry, what? I have to fly FIRST class in order to get a decent meal that isn't United Polaris business class food? LH/OS/LX all have excellent food in business, Turkish is also excellent. Delta and AA are miles ahead as well.

This is what I was served. This is a Y class meal upgraded with a bunch of PlusPoints:

The entree is straight from Lean Cuisine, bread was hard, salad was meh. Plus no menu, or drink/wine list? Oh, and look, the post-departure nuts and champagne also came on this plate as well- I guess flight attendants railing against Covid is to blame for this "all on one tray" concept, even though every single passenger on this plane was mandated to have a negative PCR before flight. (And even AA doesn't serve the nuts on the main dinner tray). At least the ice cream was soft by the time I ate it, although it would be really nice if UA brought back sundaes. The AA celebrity chef thing seems to work really well at AA -- wonder if there are any plans to overhaul UA food? The people celebrating the food on this thread truly have Stockholm Syndrome.
1. That meal looks fine to me.

2. I don't think the business classes you mention are miles ahead. But if you do, and if you further think that food is actually important, then by all means you should not fly Polaris. That, however, does not mean Polaris food is bad. It is not.

3. Most of the gourmet food I am aware of on airplanes gets served in three class First. And yes, one "has to pay for" that. Business class passengers are not paying for that level of experience.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 5:34 am

What does wiping stains off or unwrapping a roll have to do with the taste of food?
Old Feb 18, 2022, 5:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
What does wiping stains off or unwrapping a roll have to do with the taste of food?
People taste first with their eyes - confirmed over and over and over again in scientific studies.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Would like to suggest as this is not a legal case, discussion or forum, let's stick to common, dictionary usage definitions that a typical customer would use themselves

Such as

In exchange, I agree not to correct common lay usage of terms relating to my profession (which occurs frequently in FT)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
I don't think well informed FF'ers rely on advertising puffery in determining what service they will get. Under any definition. I think the "deception" argument repackages what is essentially a complaint about other consumers not caring as much about airline food into some sort of misconduct by United.

Air travel is a mass market product. If you want more food on airplanes, you need to convince other consumers to withhold purchases and FF business from United until they improve it. Claiming to be deceived by the word "premium" doesn't move that ball.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
I 100% agree with you on the sleep part. United has among the best business class bedding in the sky IMO and even though they removed a couple of elements during the pandemic I still think it's a great sleep and on my ultra-long hauls and Europe flights over the last few months I've gotten great sleep. I don't think too many people will contest that.

And a matter of fact, fine have your case for Europe TATL flights, Sure its short and people want to sleep but nearly everyone on my last TATL to MUC (that too was a high J) opted into eating dinner and breakfast. Just a single data point but still. But let's say most people want to sleep on these 6-8 hour Europe flights.

What about those long 12+ hour flights deep into whatever part of Asia and Africa 12-15 hours to the far east depending on where in the US you are flying from and 14-16 hours to India wherever you are flying from. Sleep is important but the "PJ" flights are long enough that warrant more food.

What I (and many others) will contest, is the quantity and quality of food. Realistically, is something like this supposed to keep any human full on a 14+ hour flight? I was starving and granted I have a fast metabolism and many do not, but something like below can't be accepted for these long long flights, there has to be more food.

As others have said, it's not about getting fancy lobsters and SQ Book the cook type of dishes, but something edible and something substantial would be greatly appreciated. BTW the above was not only no food, it was also absolutely tasteless to my point. That's all I'm saying: just some more food to eat and some improvements would be welcome too.
That is not the only food served on that flight.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by rch4u
People taste first with their eyes - confirmed over and over and over again in scientific studies.
Those studies are wrong- and we have tons of fast food purchase data that proves it.

I think this is much closer to Van Halen wanting one color M&M's removed from the bowl.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.