Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2022, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
An individual browsing the United website, would not be able to find such information that crews don't have to do a pro-active beverage service on short domestic regional flights.
The horror. I am pretty sure the vast majority of customers or potential customers do not care, let alone make purchasing decisions on, whether or what kind of beverage services would or should be available on a 45 minute flight.

And for those doing the security + boarding + taxi out + wheels-up time + taxi in + disembarking + delay + other worst case scenario time math and coming up with something like three hours without a drink (again, the horror!), for the truly thirsty / hungry there are plenty of eating & drinking options in the terminal these days just before and after actual plane time.

Yes, it sucks on some levels. But it is time to get used to it already.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Regardless of the laziness issue going on, based on some earlier posts that the crew have discretion to make a drink service on shorter flights or not, at united.com it clearly states that "Complimentary beverages, including beer, wine and liqueur, will be available on flights" despite any time and distance indicator.
I'm sure they were available - had I asked.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
1. I carry a bottle of water (and a small snack) on every single flight I fly. I've never been on one of the inbound international flights where your not allowed to bring any water on. With almost infinant number of things or combinations of things that can delay a flight or prevent an onboard service (turbulence, etc), you never really know when your next opportunity for food and drink will be.

2. I would hope the the crew is smart enough not to announce over the PA that the'r going to do something that's against company policy (without announcing that they are breaking policy).

3. Given how "frugal" UA is with commissary, as clearly pointed out in the COVID Era UA inflight service changes and 2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business threads, It would not surprise me at all if UA is also looking to save a dime on shorter flights as well.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by phkc070408

2. I would hope the the crew is smart enough not to announce over the PA that the'r going to do something that's against company policy (without announcing that they are breaking policy).
That was my point when I initially posted about the flight - multiple announcements were made over the PA system regarding no service - every flight attendant heard it - every pilot heard it - I find it hard to believe FA's would do that if not sanctioned by UA or they leave some of those situations to the discretion of the crew.

I didn't post it to get into a comparison of Southwest - because quite frankly I don't ever see myself setting foot on a WN plane again unless under duress (and more power to those who love them) but merely to point the current state of service and proactive announcements.

My personal opinion of evaluating an airline is not just a single item such as service on a 44 minute flight - but rather route, seats (F and E+ stand out), and price. Shoot, I could fly nonstop on HA LAS-HNL - but do I want much inferior seating and IFE - terrible FF program - terrible IRROPS, terrible call center - high cost - for better food and service - nope.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Bear96
But it is time to get used to it already.
Why?

FAs can't serve max of 12 people up front? How long does it take for min. service like handling out water bottles and some snacks? FAs are the best ambassadors to build brand equity with passengers. Why do you think Delta can command higher fares than United in general?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Why do you think Delta can command higher fares than United in general?
What data do you have to support that - I don't agree with that - they all tend to match each other.

I tried a random Feb 9-16 HNL-LAS roundtrip (I'm only trying 1) and UA for not only Basic Economy but also regular economy was higher by roughly $30 roundtrip even though UA has far higher capacity on the route.

And I keep reading service on Delta is far worse than UA
Old Jan 21, 2022, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why?

FAs can't serve max of 12 people up front? How long does it take for min. service like handling out water bottles and some snacks? FAs are the best ambassadors to build brand equity with passengers.
Why do you think Delta can command higher fares than United in general?
What? Have you checked out the DL board lately? All sorts of complaints about how terrible their onboard service is these days.

FTR I do love DL and (at least pre-Covid) thought they did a great job in terms of onboard service and operational reliability. They were actually my preferred carrier in those respects, but when it comes down to it I prioritize nonstops which usually (for me) means WN for work travel and UA for personal travel, even if I have to pay somewhat more. I'll get my food & drink at the airport before boarding.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 2022 at 12:12 am Reason: DIscuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Jan 21, 2022, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
What? Have you checked out the DL board lately? All sorts of complaints about how terrible their onboard service is these days.

FTR I do love DL and (at least pre-Covid) thought they did a great job in terms of onboard service and operational reliability. They were actually my preferred carrier in those respects, but when it comes down to it I prioritize nonstops which usually (for me) means WN for work travel and UA for personal travel, even if I have to pay somewhat more. I'll get my food & drink at the airport before boarding.
If an airline is going to charge premium fares, offer something in return to its customers.

Delta's catering (other than premium transcon between JFK and LAX/SEA/SFO) woes for domestic first class during Covid have been well documented. However, I am talking about the aspect of flight attendant servicing, which far exceeds that of United. Of my 122 flights last year, I flew with United and Delta the most, and Delta FAs continue to be one of the best in the business, attentive and personable; meanwhile, United FAs have been hit and miss (more misses than hits).

My home airport(s) are hubs to all US legacies, so I am not swayed nor captive to one airline or another. United would get a lot more of my business if it can be more consistent.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 2022 at 12:11 am Reason: Quote update to reflect Moderator edit; Remove response to deleted content
Old Jan 22, 2022, 12:07 am

If an airline is going to charge premium fares, offer something in return to its customers.
My premium upgraded fare got me way extra legroom - extra recline - I, at least for me - got something in return (and I didn't pay extra for F)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 2022 at 12:09 am Reason: Discuss the UA issue, not the poster(s)
Old Jan 22, 2022, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
The horror. I am pretty sure the vast majority of customers or potential customers do not care, let alone make purchasing decisions on, whether or what kind of beverage services would or should be available on a 45 minute flight.

And for those doing the security + boarding + taxi out + wheels-up time + taxi in + disembarking + delay + other worst case scenario time math and coming up with something like three hours without a drink (again, the horror!), for the truly thirsty / hungry there are plenty of eating & drinking options in the terminal these days just before and after actual plane time.

Yes, it sucks on some levels. But it is time to get used to it already.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm sure they were available - had I asked.
To be honest, when I look up for flight status of random flights, it shows that beverages are upon request on flights under 1 hours.
In this case I would understand FA's not doing a pro-active service onboard shorter flights but if it ever happened, I wouldn't understand a crew refusing to serve drinks either via the call button or at the galley upon request to a First Class passenger using the duration of the flight as an excuse.

Screenshot:
Old Jan 22, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by dilanesp
We are passengers. We are not the arbiters of whether FA's are working hard enough. That is United's business- not ours. And it's not our place to affix epithets like "lazy" to describe people we know nothing about.

If, heaven forbid, I am on a plane that crashes, these highly trained professionals are going to try to save my life. And they work harder and train harder than plenty of people in my own profession. And they do it for far less compensation.

I'd NEVER call these people "lazy". Even if I thought one of them didn't work all that hard, I would keep that thought to myself. The last thing these hard working, front line safety personnel need is passengers passing judgment on them. I treat them with respect, and think anyone who gets on an airplane should- especially frequent flyers.
​​​​

​​​
In the infinitesimally small chance of a crash, I'd be concerned that an FA who couldn't master the will to serve drinks ("service is our passion") might not be the best emergency resource either. Also, no one called the FA "lazy" to her face (nor is anyone advocating that). This is a forum devoted to UA's current service standards. Pointing out that they're subpar and that part of the problem is FAs whose "passion" is evidently *not* service seems like perfectly fair game. Attempting to shut down such criticism is not.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are passengers. We are not the arbiters of whether FA's are working hard enough. That is United's business- not ours. And it's not our place to affix epithets like "lazy" to describe people we know nothing about.

If, heaven forbid, I am on a plane that crashes, these highly trained professionals are going to try to save my life. And they work harder and train harder than plenty of people in my own profession. And they do it for far less compensation.

I'd NEVER call these people "lazy". Even if I thought one of them didn't work all that hard, I would keep that thought to myself. The last thing these hard working, front line safety personnel need is passengers passing judgment on them. I treat them with respect, and think anyone who gets on an airplane should- especially frequent flyers.
​​​​

​​​
If the plane crashes and I wasn't served a drink before meeting my demise, I will be quite dismayed!

On a more serious note, I don't think "lazy" is being used in the sense of claiming some entitlement to a drinks service — it's highlighting that a decision was made not to spend energy on offering a beverage. Sometimes that's warranted because, perhaps, there is severe turbulence. But in my experience sometimes it surely looks like the attendant just doesn't want to do it. Following from that, I think you could even see the lack of service on short flights as a "brown m&m's" type of situation. If the FA hasn't at least got the basics of service standards, how fully versed do you think s/he is in minutiae of safety procedures?
Old Jan 22, 2022, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist

​​​​​
For respect to be given, respect is required. FAs don't respect passengers by making up lame excuses to avoid work, particularly in first class. As I showed upthread, beverage service is an advertised benefit of choosing UA. I expect that to be delivered.

The lazy label fits and no matter how lazy the legal profession is as well, it really doesn't matter. This is a discussion about United FAs.

I'm not calling FAs lazy to their face nor am I labeling all FAs as lazy. I am simply stating that those FAs who choose not to offer first class passengers beverages are indeed shamefully lazy and should be reprimanded.

And also this:

Originally Posted by st530
In the infinitesimally small chance of a crash, I'd be concerned that an FA who couldn't master the will to serve drinks ("service is our passion") might not be the best emergency resource either. Also, no one called the FA "lazy" to her face (nor is anyone advocating that). This is a forum devoted to UA's current service standards. Pointing out that they're subpar and that part of the problem is FAs whose "passion" is evidently *not* service seems like perfectly fair game. Attempting to shut down such criticism is not.
Exactly right.

And your point is well-made that the FA who is too lazy to do a beverage service is the last flight attendant I want trying to evacuate the plane in case of an emergency.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
For respect to be given, respect is required. FAs don't respect passengers by making up lame excuses to avoid work, particularly in first class. As I showed upthread, beverage service is an advertised benefit of choosing UA. I expect that to be delivered.

The lazy label fits and no matter how lazy the legal profession is as well, it really doesn't matter. This is a discussion about United FAs.

I'm not calling FAs lazy to their face nor am I labeling all FAs as lazy. I am simply stating that those FAs who choose not to offer first class passengers beverages are indeed shamefully lazy and should be reprimanded.

And also this:

Exactly right.

And your point is well-made that the FA who is too lazy to do a beverage service is the last flight attendant I want trying to evacuate the plane in case of an emergency.
It's no better to call people wbose situations one knows nothing about "lazy" on a public message board than it is to say it to their face. As a matter of fact, it is worse. First, they can't defend themselves, and second, it spreads the message to far more people.

Especially if one has a platform, this sort of thing does a lot of harm. And for no reason- not getting a drink on a short flight is no loss at all.
​​​
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by fumje
If the plane crashes and I wasn't served a drink before meeting my demise, I will be quite dismayed!

On a more serious note, I don't think "lazy" is being used in the sense of claiming some entitlement to a drinks service — it's highlighting that a decision was made not to spend energy on offering a beverage. Sometimes that's warranted because, perhaps, there is severe turbulence. But in my experience sometimes it surely looks like the attendant just doesn't want to do it. Following from that, I think you could even see the lack of service on short flights as a "brown m&m's" type of situation. If the FA hasn't at least got the basics of service standards, how fully versed do you think s/he is in minutiae of safety procedures?
You do realize that the "brown m&m's" story is widely used in the entertainment industry as an illustration that Van Halen was demanding and unreasonable, not that the tour personnel were bad?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.