Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)

Old May 11, 22, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: phkc070408
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)

Old Sep 5, 22, 1:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Sub-30 minute regional flight from take off to touchdown between LAX and SAN had drinks and snacks handed out in F on Delta. FA also did two rounds of trash collections in main cabin and double that in F.
Love DL for my short flights out LA.. And the FA's actually smile too.
Old Sep 5, 22, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.0 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador (Lifetime Titanium) Elite, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Another less than flattering article.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-b2158205.html
Subscription required -- can someone cut and paste? Looks like a fun read.
Old Sep 5, 22, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by st530 View Post
no subscription required, if prompted just click try later and the article will pop up
st530 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 22, 12:19 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
The issue is most FAs only do the bare minimum, so they can get back to their phones or chats. I am not one to use the call button with any frequency, but often times FAs are barely visible throughout the flight. "What do you want", "here is your food", are you done yet" is their demeanor even if they don't say it aloud. Not asking to be Asian carrier FA levels here, but even taking some pride in their work would go a long way.
I'm obviously not attempting to deny your experience of United FA service, but just to add another data point: my experience has been that the vast majority of United FAs I have encountered in decades of flying and continuing through this past year do want to provide good service and don't do only the bare minimum.
Old Sep 5, 22, 1:01 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Delta Silver, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
I'm obviously not attempting to deny your experience of United FA service, but just to add another data point: my experience has been that the vast majority of United FAs I have encountered in decades of flying and continuing through this past year do want to provide good service and don't do only the bare minimum.
All good. For additional context, I fly across a lot of carriers (200K+ miles a year even during the height of the pandemic), and the contrast is visible. Currently on my way back east flying AS, where FAs are cheerful, approachable, knowledgeable, and just genuinely wanting pax to have good experience.

Side note, egg (sunny side up), potatoes, and kale breakfast served on the AS flight I am on was delicious. AS, in particular, leaves me wanting more; while UA, especially, leaves much to be desired. I would fly AS a lot more except I am east coast based.
Old Sep 5, 22, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by st530 View Post
I read it; not really.

For some reason the British press has lots of similar articles about bad airline food (or about being bumped from a flight; lost luggage; other relatively minor travel annoyances, etc.) that are all kind of the same and which don't make news in the US.
Old Sep 5, 22, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I wrote in to 1kvoice noting that the website still says baggie for flights between 300 and 800 miles and asking them to clarify whether UA is providing any food at all to premium cabin passengers. I'm sure I'll just get some nonsense canned response thanking me for being a valued 1K but if we don't complain that will send the message that we don't care either.
Here's the response:
Currently, these flights have no snack options scheduled. Please accept our apology.
And:
Your email was shared with Senior Management and our Catering Operations Team for review and consideration with future service. We want to be your airline of choice, and your honest and direct feedback matters.
A more meaningful response than I expected. They also gave me 2500 miles (I didn't ask for anything).
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 22, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
A more meaningful response than I expected. They also gave me 2500 miles (I didn't ask for anything).
Can I ask - how long did it take to get that response? I have 2 separate items pending for 2 and 3 weeks, respectively. 1KVoice used to respond same day!
Old Sep 5, 22, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rch4u View Post
Can I ask - how long did it take to get that response? I have 2 separate items pending for 2 and 3 weeks, respectively. 1KVoice used to respond same day!
Only two days. I'm kind of surprised.
Old Sep 6, 22, 11:58 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
LAS-DEN. Offered pretzels this morning so didnt see enhancement. Then surprised entire F cabin proactively offered snack or snack box from back. Pleasantly surprised. LAS not busy. DEN a madhouse.
Old Sep 6, 22, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Thumbs up Things are looking up

As a longtime UA flyer I have seen the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. A couple of things over the weekend flights (DEN-SFO-DEN) stand out. The cabin crew on the 75 held back economy and let Business disembark- never seen that on domestic flights before.

The preorder meals were tasty, so much nicer then well we have two choices; Bland and Uneatable.

Cabin crews were sort of a mixed bag but they were smiling and efficient. Capt. and first officer saw me in my wheelchair at gate and stopped and talked flying with this retired (not UA) pilot.

Things are looking up.
st530, narvik and tstauck like this.
Old Sep 8, 22, 8:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Following up. I received a $300 credit for the half-burrito breakfast followed by only potato chips for 8 hours until disgusting breakfast was served in Polaris. I asked for compensation, and I would encourage everyone to do the same. Financial pressure is the thing that will prompt change. If they had spent $30 on my J meal (for a $5500 ticket) rather than what seemed like $5 (or less), they would not be giving out $300 in travel credits.

Note that they first offered $200, and I wrote back that this was not enough, that it is just not acceptable to sell expensive intl business class tickets with the promise of premium service and then not deliver even a mediocre level of service. They responded with another $100.

And if you are from the "they got you from point A to point B in a nice seat, so don't complain" crowd, feel free to just move along with no comment. Thanks.
cesco.g, LarryU, iluv2fly and 16 others like this.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Sep 8, 22 at 8:40 am
Old Sep 8, 22, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
Following up. I received a $300 credit for the half-burrito breakfast followed by only potato chips for 8 hours until disgusting breakfast was served in Polaris. I asked for compensation, and I would encourage everyone to do the same. Financial pressure is the thing that will prompt change. If they had spent $30 on my J meal (for a $5500 ticket) rather than what seemed like $5 (or less), they would not be giving out $300 in travel credits.

Note that they first offered $200, and I wrote back that this was not enough, that it is just not acceptable to sell expensive intl business class tickets with the promise of premium service and then not deliver even a mediocre level of service. They responded with another $100.

And if you are from the "they got you from point A to point B in a nice seat, so don't complain" crowd, feel free to just move along with no comment. Thanks.
Good for you! I would suggest everyone here who is buying J on United and served inedible slop do the same. Eventually theyll get the message.

Sure, there appear to be a few dishes on the rotation that look decent, but by and large, most of what I see photographed on this and the Polaris meal thread really need a compensation request.
rch4u, MatthewLAX and VRFast like this.
Old Sep 9, 22, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Service in F on short flights remains really inconsistent. I got a choice of snack boxes on EWR-RDU two weeks ago and pretzels or Stroopwafel on ABQ-DEN last week.
Old Sep 9, 22, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
UA 4506 STL-IAD 7 Sep. CRJ-550 on a roughly two hour flight. Water, alcohol wipe and Kind bar placed at each seat in the F cabin before boarding, snack boxes pre-postioned in the seat back pockets for the three or four of us that had status. I was so surprised I had to take pics. FA was an older lady, very kind, very attentive and professional. She took beverage orders before departure and had them delivered to the seats shortly after level off. Offered the cheese and cracker snacks to each of us seated in First and brought the basket with snacks and bananas around several times. The Y cabin got one full service with the drink cart. On descent when she was doing her cabin prep for landing she stopped at each seat in F and thanked us for our business.

This was the early AM departure out of STL, I had never flown this route before. I am not sure if this is typical. But this was far and beyond the best service and flight I've had on any UA domestic segment I've flown in years. Reinforced my belief there are some really good FAs out there and all it takes is a little effort to impress. Sadly most of my short haul hops are nowhere near this level.

rch4u, ezefllying and tstauck like this.

Search this Thread