Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sticker shock for Summer Domestic UA fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sticker shock for Summer Domestic UA fares

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2022, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by limey1K

DEN-BWI Early June
Wow! Glad I purchased my summer domestic travel early, even though it was what I thought was nosebleed fare levels at the time.

But, this essentially just means these flights are sold out and UA is willing to involuntary bump other people who purchased cheaper fares some time ago when those were available.

So if you really want to go, at least you still can. The alternative would be for a search like this to simply say "Sold Out" or "Unavailable" (or similar) instead of these crazy fares. Which, ironically, would attract less attention and anger on the internet compared to having the choice we see here.
N104UA and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Bear96
Wow! Glad I purchased my summer domestic travel early, even though it was what I thought was nosebleed fare levels at the time.

But, this essentially just means these flights are sold out and UA is willing to involuntary bump other people who purchased cheaper fares some time ago when those were available.

So if you really want to go, at least you still can. The alternative would be for a search like this to simply say "Sold Out" or "Unavailable" (or similar) instead of these crazy fares. Which, ironically, would attract less attention and anger on the internet compared to having the choice we see here.
Even after they stop selling inventory online. Premier members still have a shot if buying full or near full fare tickets. "Access to most sold-out flights" (Economy only)
Old May 18, 2022, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by limey1K
DEN-BWI Early June
try IAD

Old May 18, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Nocella alluded to revenue management algorithms being a bit out of whack for this summer on the domestic side, and having difficulty responding appropriately to demand. The impact has been a correction to extraordinarily high airfares in certain markets, cooling more price-sensitive demand. I suspect things will moderate as we get closer-in to departure, and UA gathers more data on present booking trends. I've noticed this in certain city pairs I've been paying attention to, over the past week. Best advice is to "hold your water!"

Andrew Didora

Yes, got it. Kind of sticking on the leisure consumer, I guess, I publish my bookings data each week. We have seen just in terms of domestic leisure volumes, kind of probably not as strong as maybe they were, call it, a month or two ago, but we're seeing a real uptick on the international side. Are you seeing like, I always thought like, maybe as we were going through kind of the leisure boom last summer, as we moved into the summer of 2020, as international opened up more, do you think there's maybe a little bit more of trade-off going on in terms of people that used to just -- would just fly domestic over the past couple of years, maybe now are looking more internationally?

Andrew Nocella

They are definitely looking more internationally. But I wouldn't read too much into that leisure data domestically. I think the revenue management systems, my guess across all the U.S. airlines are just beginning to tighten up, because we don't want to run out of supply for this summer. And it was just going, at least at United, it was coming too quickly and we made the appropriate changes to slow it down, so that we can meter in with the capacity that we had available. Otherwise, we just had a fear that we would be sold out, not only for leisure business, but for business this summer.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/451...ca-29th-annual
Old May 19, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
Yup, that's what I did for one summer trip - though note that with "dynamic award pricing" you may be paying 65K / seat ow on some routes. But, small consolation, the cents/mile goes up with these prices. I burned all my miles, have a few thousand left, and I doubt I'll be getting enough to make a difference down the road.
I'm not seeing that much variance yet, all the flights are 17,000 to like 26,000 each way. Worst case scenario I may have to pony up for some miles to cover the difference but I should be fine.
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 1:53 pm

Mid June from DEN-RDU is showing $950. Unreal.
Old May 20, 2022, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Honestly RM is getting crazy... This is my trip to Tokyo from Jul 1-13 - Never seen fares this high....

restlessinRNO and limey1K like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
The domestic fares seem just a slight bit better over the last week, and I say that as a person who checks certain routes daily.

At the same time, the international fares this summer are flat out crazy. I am waiting until fall for international travel that I have not already booked.
Old May 20, 2022, 7:15 pm

Does Japan still limit the number of inbound passengers per flight? If so, much less inventory to work with
Old May 20, 2022, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Honestly RM is getting crazy... This is my trip to Tokyo from Jul 1-13 - Never seen fares this high....

that’s hard core. Wow.
Old May 20, 2022, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Too bad you can't take the extra-spacious seat with you off the plane for that price.

David
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM

If Japan opens to general tourism, which may happen soon, prices may increase further!
Old May 20, 2022, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
If Japan opens to general tourism, which may happen soon, prices may increase further!
Private tourism would do it too.

David
Old May 21, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by BGART
Mid June from DEN-RDU is showing $950. Unreal.
It is nearly 1700 mile drive, @ 25MPG and $4.35/gal the round trip you would be out nearly $600 in gas alone plus any other costs (lodging, meals, repairs, etc.) plus your time for the drive.
Old May 21, 2022, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by prestonh
It is nearly 1700 mile drive
Airfares have never been related to distance.
N104UA and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.