Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sticker shock for Summer Domestic UA fares

Sticker shock for Summer Domestic UA fares

Old May 4, 2022, 3:36 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
It's crazy. EWR/JFK-SFO flights are ~$400 one way for the next several months. And the planes are not full really.
Old May 4, 2022, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by TA
It's crazy. EWR/JFK-SFO flights are ~$400 one way for the next several months. And the planes are not full really.
I have to admit, I needed to stop and remember how competitive and therefore historically cheap the market is to believe that was a high price

Still below cost. (But you're right if memory serves that market was once as low as $99 one-ways.)
Old May 4, 2022, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by findark
I have to admit, I needed to stop and remember how competitive and therefore historically cheap the market is to believe that was a high price

Still below cost. (But you're right if memory serves that market was once as low as $99 one-ways.)
Even lower and even before Covid. $150 roundtrip for a non-BE ticket was easy to get a hold of during off seasons.
Old May 6, 2022, 12:22 pm

Recent price hikes??

Anyone book a flight in the last two weeks or so? I booked several domestic and international last month and looking at a few more as far as September and prices are insane. $800 PHX to NYC in coach for example. Signs of the times? Or just a surge from things opening up?
Old May 6, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
All the airlines have significantly jacked up prices even though seat maps suggest the load is not there - yet. Unknown if it will stick or a new normal.
Old May 6, 2022, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
All the airlines have significantly jacked up prices even though seat maps suggest the load is not there - yet. Unknown if it will stick or a new normal.

I'm still waiting for the day when they put a credit card swipe machine on the bathroom for extra bucks.
Old May 6, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by braveheart_10010
I'm still waiting for the day when they put a credit card swipe machine on the bathroom for extra bucks.
Or how about Dynmic Pricing that takes into account your zipcode, and previous spending habits and creates a "tailored" price just for you!
Old May 6, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by braveheart_10010
Anyone book a flight in the last two weeks or so? I booked several domestic and international last month and looking at a few more as far as September and prices are insane. $800 PHX to NYC in coach for example. Signs of the times? Or just a surge from things opening up?
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I have noticed this too, a flight out of TPA in mid July is over $350 and the seat map appears like there are about 10 seats booked. I can't really imagine that UA will sell 150 seats at or above $350 out of a leisure destination. I also have a flight later this month where over 1/2 of the seat map is still open and tickets haven't dropped below $250 each way, when in years past I was able to get the route for around $150. So in both instances I am either assuming i am going to be getting a lot of FFCs or I will have an open middle or upgrade.
Old May 6, 2022, 1:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by N104UA
I have noticed this too, a flight out of TPA in mid July is over $350 and the seat map appears like there are about 10 seats booked. I can't really imagine that UA will sell 150 seats at or above $350 out of a leisure destination. I also have a flight later this month where over 1/2 of the seat map is still open and tickets haven't dropped below $250 each way, ...
Realize 100 seats @ $350 is better than 150 seats @ $250
and 75 @ $350 is better than 150 @ $175

Filling the seats is not the objective, maximizing the revenue is. If others fill up with selling cheaper fares, then UA gets those with not other choices at higher fares.

However, this is a double edge sword, if the others do not fill up, then you got a non-profitable empty flight.

This is where careers are made and lost in revenue management.
Old May 6, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I think I will wait to get closer in before starting the FFC game, partially because my friends dont fly that often and the prices for LAX to IAD or EWR are quite high. Mid July, mid week are 700-900 RT if you want a direct route and the cheaper flights involve flying the redeyes. The discounted routes are also tragic, I saw 580 RT for LAX-EWR / EWR-DCA transfer IAD-LAX and of course that IAD-LAX flight isnt cheap without that first segment.
Old May 7, 2022, 12:38 am
TA

Noticing some significant drops in OW fare for the EWR-SFO direction in the coming weeks -- they were up around $400 and suddenly in the last day came down to more like $200.

Not yet true for the other direction though, oddly enough.
Old May 7, 2022, 4:43 am

Programs: Free Agent
IAD-LAX in two weeks for $1867 (coach)
Old May 7, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: United Premier Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
You are not alone in seeing very high domestic economy fares, unless you are willing to take late night departures. 😊
I still had to pay $800 for my husband’s ticket on a red-eye from SFO to EWR in June.
Old May 7, 2022, 2:05 pm
TA

Originally Posted by cczzll
I still had to pay $800 for my husband’s ticket on a red-eye from SFO to EWR in June.
cczzll definitely suggest that you monitor periodically the fares and watch for them to drop. With UA's unlimited / no penalty cancellation policy (credit) you can get back hundreds of $ if the fare decreases, which it did for me in recent days. All of June is showing <$500 redeye SFO-EWR fares right now.
You just cancel the ticket online, the $ goes into your past tickets value store in your account (not "Travelbank") and you buy a new ticket against that value on checkout.
cczzll likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
SFO-EWR redeyes RT in July booked for a bit over 400. And the front cabin is almost completely empty so I bit at the ~$320 upgrade from Y both ways for a ~1100 RT J ticket. Not bad for prem transcon!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.