Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Oct 30, 2023, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I've had at least ten PE->J PP upgrades clear internationally this year, which is probably 75% success. Based on the west coast, international flights are a minimum of ten hours for me.

​​​​​
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA doesn't need to do that; upgrades direct Y=>J have become sufficiently difficult that in most cases if you want a realistic chance of clearing to J, you need to be in PE.
Yes, this has been my experience this year. Upgrading Y=>J seems so unrealistic that my buying patterns have changed. I'm buying far in advance, and justifying spending hundreds more dollars on Premium Plus, rather than stressing about whether I'll get a two-cabin upgrade.

Does anyone still call United to get help with finding PZ inventory? I used to do it for nearly every trip because they can look at date ranges and multiple routing options. My search habits have changed, and PZ is rarely available for the dates & destinations I want, so calling the 1K line doesn't seem worthwhile.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
For most it has stopped making any kind of economic sense to chase UA status, esp. Plat or 1K.
There is a small [but maybe not insignificant?] group where 1K/PP still makes perfect sense.

For some of those who mostly fly international it is still worth it. Although it heavily depends on destinations of course.

How long this is going to last is anyone's guess, but right now the PlusPoints are still worth it to me, with all PlusPoint upgrades on the international segments to PVG, NRT, HND, and GVA clearing all year long (except one PVG-SFO flight).

I'd just about given up on UA in 2019, but Covid changed loads and available flights to China so much, that UA became viable again.

Will ride the United 1K/PP gravy train until it dries out. My guess is 2025 or 2026...
Old Oct 30, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by HawaiiDave
Just completed a trip. I am getting to the point where I don't even bother checking to see where I am on the upgrade list until boarding time.
10/23 IAH-SFO - Died at 1 of 66 on the list
10/28 SFO-IAH - Died at 1 of 25 on the list

PP applied to both. I know hub-to hub is a tough upgrade, but this was deflating.

UA has absolutely killed my desire to renew 1K. I will make Plat, and that's good enough for me as the benefits above gold are negligible, at least in my case.
Yeah - absolutely brutal. Monday, okay, but Saturday? Yeesh. SFO-IAH/IAD are really awful because of both paid F and the hub-hub with no competition dynamic. I've been trying to get on UA UIO-IAH-SFO on miles up front and UA is offering it at a whopping 350k per person one-way, but not surprisingly it's all the IAH-SFO leg driving the price. UIO-IAH is a "mere" 95k.
HawaiiDave likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by narvik
Will ride the United 1K/PP gravy train until it dries out. My guess is 2025 or 2026...
My guess is 2025
Old Oct 30, 2023, 10:13 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I donít disagree with any of the experiences or comments other than mine appears to be very hit and miss sometimes. Clearly hub to hub is not existent for upgrades. However, I have a friend of mine, who just started traveling more for business and is currently Silver and she has gotten a few upgrades surprisingly on flights like Louisville to DC. I had a return flight from London clear into premium +2 weeks ago even though I am not flying for a week but I am still waiting for anything on the outbound that leaves in a couple of days.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mfirst
I donít disagree with any of the experiences or comments other than mine appears to be very hit and miss sometimes. Clearly hub to hub is not existent for upgrades. However, I have a friend of mine, who just started traveling more for business and is currently Silver and she has gotten a few upgrades surprisingly on flights like Louisville to DC. I had a return flight from London clear into premium +2 weeks ago even though I am not flying for a week but I am still waiting for anything on the outbound that leaves in a couple of days.
Off season now. I cleared SFO-EWR J last week prior to T-24 on a G fare; in fact, pretty much everyone did except one poor fellow. PE cabin was largely empty.

London you should find good PZ options from EWR, also now defunct BOS-LHR. Same APD ex-LHR whether PE or J.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1k
I had a true dodo event a few weeks ago, UA 1k & Plat (wife) got an LH Op-Up MUC-CTA a few weeks ago, while on an Economy Light ticket.

I have been able to successfully use all my PP this year for myself, family and friends. Limited CPUs but also limited domestic for me these days.
uanj likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I just posted on the negatives right now but I had SFO-SIN clear for a flight in about a month. NEVER expected that to happen. 100% planned calling and pushing it through at T-72. Now, the IAH-SFO will likely be a battle!!
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 5:30 am

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by avi8tir
For domestic business trips I often book my ticket in Y on my corp card and then immediately rebook into F using my own $$$. I am also putting PP on almost every flight that I dont buy into F. Again, NEVER had to in the past. United wins again.
I find the cost differential between fully redunsable coach and first to quite high on hub to hub, so I wait for upgrade offers that are reasonable. When you rebook is the price difference comparable to what you would get upgrade offers for?

I only ask because for my IAD-SFO trips thr price diff is usually $1,000-$2,000 each way but most of the time I can buy an upgrade for $400-$1,000 about 1-2 weeks before the flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 7:45 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by technique
I find the cost differential between fully redunsable coach and first to quite high on hub to hub, so I wait for upgrade offers that are reasonable. When you rebook is the price difference comparable to what you would get upgrade offers for?

I only ask because for my IAD-SFO trips thr price diff is usually $1,000-$2,000 each way but most of the time I can buy an upgrade for $400-$1,000 about 1-2 weeks before the flight.
I usually do a B fare and then rebook. The impact for my travel out of IAH is a few hundred $$ at most. I usually travel to the west coast / rockies on domestic travel.
technique likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I've gotten good value out of my plus points this year from a couple of trips to Lima.

Otherwise my most frequent route is SFO-ORD and it's hit or miss. I've gotten a few upgrades days in advance and even one at booking, and then there's times like today where I was 15th out of 55 with PP applied. On a K fare, but still! And not many preboards, so it's a bit of a mystery. I suspect a lot of people are trying to use them up as we get closer to the end of the year
Old Nov 1, 2023, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold Choice Gold Wyndham Platinum IHG Platinum Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Anecdote from yesterday. Booked IAD-SRQ in September for 10/31-11/8. Able to use my PP right away. My flight yesterday on a 737-800 went out with one empty seat upfront. Granted the plane was only a quarter full but still, anyone with status got an upgrade and I was one of two 1Ks on the flight. My return flight next week will not be as empty but looks like there will be at some a few flyers with status will be sitting in the back. I doubt I would need the PP for this flight but use them or lose them.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 6:56 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Got a PP UG on a 777 OGG-DEN today.... and ORD to ZHR...which is nice for a true Polaris and access to the lounge since I have a little bit of a layover
the DEN-ORD, I think I am #732 on the list......

coming back PP to PremPlus from LHR-EWR and upgraded EWR to CLE (I might have made a mistake and wasted 20 PP on that segment - but I guess, live and learn?)

Is there a sense that things might be opening up more?

-m
Old Nov 2, 2023, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by mfirst
Got a PP UG on a 777 OGG-DEN today.... and ORD to ZHR...which is nice for a true Polaris and access to the lounge since I have a little bit of a layover
the DEN-ORD, I think I am #732 on the list......

coming back PP to PremPlus from LHR-EWR and upgraded EWR to CLE (I might have made a mistake and wasted 20 PP on that segment - but I guess, live and learn?)

Is there a sense that things might be opening up more?
I think you mean ZRH (Zurich, CH)?

If you are flying LHR-EWR-CLE as part of the same itinerary then you didn't waste 20 PPs as the upgrade for EWR-CLE is part of the PPs already used for LHR-EWR.

-RM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.