Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old May 19, 2023, 7:32 am

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by frappant
Just got upgraded on SFO-FRA for next week.

First use of Premium Plus points for me. It wasn’t looking good last week because it was J3 on this flight.

I think what happened was they changed to a bigger aircraft with way more Polaris seats that they confirmed my upgrade more than a week out.

Still though, even if I got every Premium Plus points upgrades that I’ve applied for, I will lose 220 PPs at end of next January. I might book another international flight now, see if I can use 60 or 80 more but otherwise I don’t see flying much more than that because it would be from October to end of year.
Quite a bit of PZ availability right now SFO-SYD/AKL, and IAH-SCL/EZE/GIG/GRU, if you don’t mind southern hemisphere winter.
nnn likes this.
Old May 19, 2023, 11:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I will lose 220 PPs at end of next January. I might book another international flight now, ....
Are you appling them to domestic only trips, if you have such trips?
Old May 19, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
I got my 1K upgrades at T96 TPA-EWR-TPA. granted it’s the 0600 flight.
Old May 19, 2023, 2:51 pm

Programs: United 1K/*G, HHonors Platinum
Both Mrs. Selo and I got upgraded LAX-ORD on Th morning (10:33am flight) and also 1 upgrade ORD-ALB, all using plus points. Fingers crossed on the return.
Old May 20, 2023, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SFO-PHX on a 319 yesterday F booked full 4 days out and there was never any movement. About 10 GS/1K preboarded and all were sitting in back.
Old May 20, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Are you appling them to domestic only trips, if you have such trips?

No domestic trips. Maybe I'll look at going to Hawaii in November or something. But that probably wouldn't be an easy upgrade out of SFO?
Old May 20, 2023, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by marks88
Quite a bit of PZ availability right now SFO-SYD/AKL, and IAH-SCL/EZE/GIG/GRU, if you don’t mind southern hemisphere winter.

Wow really?

I had been looking at SYD or AKL in November and December.

Oh you mean now, in June and July. But I have other bookings.

I might take a chance on SYD or AKL in Nov/December though, since I got upgraded. Or be prepared to take those long flights in Premium Plus ...
Old May 20, 2023, 10:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No domestic trips. Maybe I'll look at going to Hawaii in November or something. But that probably wouldn't be an easy upgrade out of SFO?
Avoid Thanksgiving week and you may have a decent chance.
Old May 20, 2023, 11:01 am

Other thing is not all flights have lie flats.

So are they worth the upgrade in that case?

Not that it matters much in my case since I'd be using as many PPs as possible before they expire.
Old May 20, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Wow really?

I had been looking at SYD or AKL in November and December.

Oh you mean now, in June and July. But I have other bookings.

I might take a chance on SYD or AKL in Nov/December though, since I got upgraded. Or be prepared to take those long flights in Premium Plus ...
Nov/Dec are historically tough for SYD/AKL. Late Spring / Summer / Christmas. Please don’t hold out for Nov/Dec.

I believe the poster was just informing you that there is availability now, just like Brazil. Both can be mild (even warm) in May.

Folks complaining about PZ availability and then shunning suggestions because they are busy, or in the hope that something opens up during peak travel season will indeed watch their PP’s expire.
marks88 and DELee like this.

Last edited by seanp7; May 20, 2023 at 11:12 am
Old May 20, 2023, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Other thing is not all flights have lie flats.

So are they worth the upgrade in that case?

Not that it matters much in my case since I'd be using as many PPs as possible before they expire.
Originally Posted by seanp7
Nov/Dec are historically tough for SYD/AKL. Late Spring / Summer / Christmas. Please don’t hold out for Nov/Dec.

I believe the poster was just informing you that there is availability now, just like Brazil. Both can be mild (even warm) in May.

Folks complaining about PZ availability and then shunning suggestions because they are busy, or in the hope that something opens up during peak travel season will indeed watch their PP’s expire.
There may be two batches of PP expirations that will be interesting to watch: the former 1Ks and GSs who's PPs turn to dust after 07/31/2023 and then those that don't make the PQP/PQF cut lines as of 12/31/2023 and have their PPs expire on 01/31/2024.

Waiting until July 2023 to apply any PPs may become a fools errand if some are correct as to how many 1Ks and GSs didn't get through in 2022. And the usual November/December/January PP spend rush will go forward as usual.

David
seanp7 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old May 20, 2023, 11:26 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DELee
There may be two batches of PP expirations that will be interesting to watch: the former 1Ks and GSs who's PPs turn to dust after 07/31/2023 and then those that don't make the PQP/PQF cut lines as of 12/31/2023 and have their PPs expire on 01/31/2024.

Waiting until July 2023 to apply any PPs may become a fools errand if some are correct as to how many 1Ks and GSs didn't get through in 2022. And the usual November/December/January PP spend rush will go forward as usual.
Unless there's a change in demand plus adjustments to UA's front cabin pricing and upgrade practices (i.e., they start releasing space earlier), I don't think we're going to see any improvement in upgrades based on PP expiration (or anything else). At this point, the biggest issue is that UA is pricing the seats to sell (including particularly the discounted upsells) and the more this become obvious to frequent flyers, the more they're going to jump on the buy-up bandwagon.
Old May 20, 2023, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Unless there's a change in demand plus adjustments to UA's front cabin pricing and upgrade practices (i.e., they start releasing space earlier), I don't think we're going to see any improvement in upgrades based on PP expiration (or anything else). At this point, the biggest issue is that UA is pricing the seats to sell (including particularly the discounted upsells) and the more this become obvious to frequent flyers, the more they're going to jump on the buy-up bandwagon.
Depend if the frequent flyers want to spend on what UA's buy-up price points are or if they've basically given up and moved elsewhere. Unless I'm going to have a shot at F/J at purchase, I'm currently not going anywhere near flights on UA.

David
Old May 20, 2023, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Depend if the frequent flyers want to spend on what UA's buy-up price points are or if they've basically given up and moved elsewhere. Unless I'm going to have a shot at F/J at purchase, I'm currently not going anywhere near flights on UA.
Whether that's feasible depends on where you're based, where you need to go, and how price-sensitive you are.

I've been flying UA about 60% lately based on schedule and price. If I had a better option, I'd be there in a heartbeat.
SPN Lifer and WasKnown like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
1K line was useless for me during IRROP today; long and long waiting. I had to HUCA twice. One agent told me that she could not book me on Polaris business/FC because of PP upgraded flight. Eventually, gate agent did help me to book the flight that I wanted.
nnn likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.