Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
The flight went out 16/20. Waste of PlusPoints!

Oh well...
Congrats!

Other than the days before and after Thanksgiving, November overall is normally an easy month from upgrade standpoint.

I flew between LGA and DCA last week on AA (DCA is an AA hub), A319 (baby Airbus) with only 8 seats up front went out with empty seats both ways.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.

Oh well...
You should bottle your UG magic and sell it. I've never gotten an UG on that flight in the COVID era-not once! Did you select it for its light load. I usually don't have that luxury. I almost always must be somewhere at a certain time and often have to do a same day turn, so my choices are limited.
uanj likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 3:59 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

Oh well...
Originally Posted by DELee
We look forward to your posting in the following thread: PlusPoints NON-Polaris flight upgrade SUCCESS 2022

David
This will earn you another post on the thread link posted by DELee 😄😄
MatthewLAX I will keep reading your blogs except for those on how to score a cpu/PP upgrade at UA.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Other than the days before and after Thanksgiving, November overall is normally an easy month from upgrade standpoint.
Travel patterns have changed so much, I'm not even sure those are heavy travel days any more. I cleared my GF into open PZ on one of the 11/23 PHX-SFO flights. And for SFO-PHX on 11/25 we both cleared at the EXP window on AA. Monday morning (11/28) is absolutely brutal though.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zombietooth
You should bottle your UG magic and sell it. I've never gotten an UG on that flight in the COVID era-not once! Did you select it for its light load. I usually don't have that luxury. I almost always must be somewhere at a certain time and often have to do a same day turn, so my choices are limited.
I selected it for the time... needed the last flight out (9:21p). Amazingly, We took a half-hour "ConectionSaver" delay for the 1K next to me or else the flight would have gone out 15/20. We still arrived at LAX 15 minutes early.

If you look upthread, the reason I applied PP was because the loads were similar a few months back and I gambled on the CPU and missed the upgrade. This time, the gamble would have worked...
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:48 pm

Looks like the entire list is going to get upgraded on my flight tomorrow (18 on list). Amazing that even with the cabin wide open the day before, no PN or PZ, upgrade price is $400
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Clemson
Looks like the entire list is going to get upgraded on my flight tomorrow (18 on list). Amazing that even with the cabin wide open the day before, no PN or PZ, upgrade price is $400
What's the route?
DELee likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by as219
What's the route?
SFO - BOS. Upgrade price went down to $350 at check-in. One more booking came in so they ended up processing 15/18 on the list shortly after the check-in window opened.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Clemson
SFO - BOS. Upgrade price went down to $350 at check-in. One more booking came in so they ended up processing 15/18 on the list shortly after the check-in window opened.
Interesting. Looks like it was the only non 752 on the route today, ergo the only non-lie-flat. But still, for the Wednesday before Thanksgiving you'd think there would have been more takers...
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
What's the route?
UA1049 has 15 pax UG'd so far-that's the biggest UG list I've ever seen. That is amazing given the current environment.

Last edited by zombietooth; Nov 23, 2022 at 8:59 am
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
But still, for the Wednesday before Thanksgiving you'd think there would have been more takers...
I flew last night and both the airport (PHX) and my flight were full of once-a-year flyers - lots of families and seniors. I suspect today will be even more so.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
I flew last night and both the airport (PHX) and my flight were full of once-a-year flyers - lots of families and seniors. I suspect today will be even more so.
Empty airport at SAN today. Arrived 7am. Flight fullish but spare seats.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Empty airport at SAN today. Arrived 7am. Flight fullish but spare seats.
Were you able to snag an UG on your flight?
Old Nov 26, 2022, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM
Originally Posted by rjurney
I can't find a single PZ fare - or a ticket on any international flight that says it isn't waitlisted.

Does this mean PlusPoints are now so diluted they are worthless? Or is United going to release them later?

What gives, United? Why give the impression of a PlusPoints default if that isn't the case?
I just had a PP W/L clear for Mar 2023 SFO/AKL.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Recently, I had a CPU (no PP) clear SFO-SAN on a recent Sunday night. I have a LAS-ORD on a Tuesday evening red eye clear with PP within 24hrs of booking and a morning ORD-LAX on a 787 clear with PP within 24hrs. My 11th hour run for platinum isn’t going to be all that bad after all. Still have 540 PP left though.

Slightly off topic, I was on TPE-SFO a couple weeks ago and the FAs left out the notable PAX manifest (although I neglected to screenshot the upgrade list): 6 GS (all in Polaris), 31 1K (23 in Polaris, 1 in Premium Plus, 7 in economy).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.