Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mfirst
I have an upcoming ORD-CLE flight this week, mid-day, 738 - as of now 12/16 F 'booked'
82 might flight time
When the WL first popped up - I was 6th on the list as a 1K on an S fare
I applied PP and moved up to #2
...will see how burning 20PP (I have >500) on a short flight turns out.....

but, as of now - I have a E+ window with an empty middle (looks like most of middle in E+ are empty right now) and that might be a better option?
Based on my flights, those empty middles will often get assigned at gate, at least that's been on flights I have taken.

Lately I have had to buy tickets inside of T-24, after the sweep, still no chance of upgrades.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
unfortunately, you are correct - or there are a lot of E+ travelers who havent picked (or purchased) their seats yet.....as mentioned, I am also looking at some flights a few weeks from now and I keep bugging my travel office to book the flights as many of the 'good' seats are gone.....
Old Oct 3, 2022, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Based on my flights, those empty middles will often get assigned at gate, at least that's been on flights I have taken.
Yep. UA is selling lots of tickets with no pre-assigned seats. Plus the non-revs will often fill a bunch of seats.
I have an upcoming ORD-CLE flight this week, mid-day, 738 - as of now 12/16 F 'booked'
82 might flight time
When the WL first popped up - I was 6th on the list as a 1K on an S fare
I applied PP and moved up to #2
About 50-50 whether that clears. If not at T-24, odds drop considerably.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yep. UA is selling lots of tickets with no pre-assigned seats. Plus the non-revs will often fill a bunch of seats.

About 50-50 whether that clears. If not at T-24, odds drop considerably.
and Premier Silvers can move up to E+ at T-24 too
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 4:55 pm

well, t-24 and 15/16 booked and I am still #2
E+ here I come......
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Flying EWR-LAX in two weeks and on a paid O fare I'm #10 on the upgrade list behind 7 GS and 2 other 1Ks in O who booked before me.
I just moved back to NY after living in San Francisco for the past 4 years and know transcons are competitive but was surprised to be that low on the highest Premium Plus fare class. Guess I need to start picking my flights more carefully...
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Admittedly I guess EWR-ATH and ATH-EWR are heavy purchase and upgrade routes i guess (i'm mostly a domestic traveler so i didn't really know) but
Would have cleared 1/2 on EWR-ATH but chose not to separate for a middle PP seat - and going to die at 1 and 2 on the list for ATH-EWR.

I know we've all be talking single upgrades on this thread that are so hard - is upgrading self and a companion just asking too much at this point?
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ACVBear
Admittedly I guess EWR-ATH and ATH-EWR are heavy purchase and upgrade routes i guess (i'm mostly a domestic traveler so i didn't really know) but
Would have cleared 1/2 on EWR-ATH but chose not to separate for a middle PP seat - and going to die at 1 and 2 on the list for ATH-EWR.

I know we've all be talking single upgrades on this thread that are so hard - is upgrading self and a companion just asking too much at this point?
Companion? Can't even imagine that. Maybe on an obscure route, off peak, with a fairly empty plane. Then maybe, but only if you are GS, and you booked early
ACVBear likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 7:54 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Avis
Exclamation Are there ANY confirmed international PlusPoint reservations for 2023?

I can't find a single PZ fare - or a ticket on any international flight that says it isn't waitlisted.

Does this mean PlusPoints are now so diluted they are worthless? Or is United going to release them later?

What gives, United? Why give the impression of a PlusPoints default if that isn't the case?
leoo likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 8:21 pm

I dont know what you guys are complaining about - I just got my sister (Silver) a PP upgrade for this weekend on a DEN-CIS flight!
... of course, she then asked if I could help her on the LAX-EWR and back flight in the beginning of Dec.... she didnt quite understand why I fell out of my chair laughing......
but I did ask her if she wanted first then why did she not pay the >$5k for the RT fight......
Old Nov 17, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I dont know what you guys are complaining about - I just got my sister (Silver) a PP upgrade for this weekend on a DEN-CIS flight!
... of course, she then asked if I could help her on the LAX-EWR and back flight in the beginning of Dec.... she didnt quite understand why I fell out of my chair laughing......
but I did ask her if she wanted first then why did she not pay the >$5k for the RT fight......
Canton Island Airport, Phoenix Islands?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 8:46 pm

zombie tooth - I have no idea where she is going - nor do I care - but at least she got upgraded for the <2 hour flight on an A320

-m

(actually, it is CID - Cedar Rapids, Iowa... and I do care, she is my sister)
Old Nov 17, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
zombie tooth - I have no idea where she is going - nor do I care - but at least she got upgraded for the <2 hour flight on an A320

-m

(actually, it is CID - Cedar Rapids, Iowa... and I do care, she is my sister)
Yeah, the only reason to send someone to CIS would be to get rid of them.
It's available for emergency landings only.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 8:56 pm

Zombie
maybe she needs to double check her ticket to make sure she didn’t book CIS - afterall that could explain why I was able to actually get an upgrade?

-m
Old Nov 18, 2022, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I'm so paranoid I used PlusPoints to upgrade an ORD-LAX 739 with 18/20 seats open at the 72 hour mark. Not going to risk it. Not going to risk it...
kevino, kirkwoodj and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.