Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I don't think it is that much more frustrating than before on finding PZ space and using PP. My first search today and I found PZ1 on BOS-LHR on 15AUG. (4th search and I found PZ1 on EWR-LHR on 15AUG).

I have also found PZ availability or cleared waitlist on 4 out of 5 TATL flights this year. Certainly I think there are more people traveling now and less incentive for UA to open up PZ and more incentive for them to upsell their J seats. They still need to make up for the loss of business travelers.

But my travel pattern is rather flexible, I can travel mid-week, and I don't mind investing the time in looking for PZ space. I also book a lot of J fares, so never really use up all my PP.

And does DL or AA actually have more upgrade availability than UA? Their business cabins are usually smaller than UA.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by hirohito888
And does DL or AA actually have more upgrade availability than UA? Their business cabins are usually smaller than UA.
Well, Delta is in the process of ending all own-metal two-class (Y to J, skipping PE) upgrades, but if you pay for PE their availability for J is significantly better (equivalent of P class being used for upgrades on UA). And right now DL regional certificates are also good for the equivalent of P class, which is very nice. So a bit of YMMV over there.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Seems like there are two gripes:

1) It is hard to search for flights with available PZ space. That's been a problem for a while, and is annoying.
2) There are a lot of PP chasing not many premium seats. That's a result of an uptick in travel and a lot of travelers willing to pay for premium cabin, along with a lot of PP sloshing around out there. Not much you can do if people are willing to pay for premium cabin - upgrades always come after them. As for PP, I've always been troubled by their expiration . . . I'd say let people keep using them, though with the priority to which they're entitled if they drop in status, indefinitely. Eventually people will use them up anyway.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 2MM
simonoaks - I agree. You are raising several important points. Thinking of TPAC flights to NRT or ICN, from SFO/LAX, it is definitely more frustrating/ impossible to locate PZ space, even with flexible travel plans. Asia is opening up to tourism and many flights are 100% full a week before departure. Prices of even coach are very high. Although there is no “change fee” as such, you cannot change flights to improve upgrade chances, as you would need to buy up to a U ticket. 😳 I too have over 500 PP. This has all changed in the last few months.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Asia is opening up to tourism and many flights are 100% full a week before departure.
If flights are 100% full -- which I don't really doubt, due to the limited TPAC schedules -- no airline is going to be offering free upgrades.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Asia is opening up to tourism and many flights are 100% full a week before departure.
If flights are 100% full -- which I don't really doubt, due to the limited TPAC schedules -- no airline is going to be offering free upgrades..
Many with governmental imposed capacity restrictions ( & some quarantines) hence the sold out and no award space

Asia has its own issues at the moment

But the limited premium cabin upgrade and awards TATL are as true but that is due partially for the high premium leisure demand
jsloan and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: UN 1K MM, Marriott-LT TitanElite, Hyatt Glob; HH-Gold
Angry Getting Frustrated with my useless Plus Points

I am a consistent 1K and have applied my plus points to multiple flights. In the past, I would not book a flight unless I could book using them. Unfortunately, since COVID, I haven't found any flights that I can book using them and I still want to go on vacation. I figured I should be able to clear the waitlist, and have booked "waitlisting." I am not clearing. The frustration is once I apply my PlusPoints and wait for an upgrade, I am no longer able to see what United would "charge" me if I purchased the upgrade. Is anyone aware of a loophole where I could see what United would charge to upgrade once PlusPoints are applied?
I have a flight from SFO to SIN on Saturday that I will not clear. I have a flight to EWR to CDG in Sept and flights to HI next year that I'm "waitlisted." I have 470 Plus Points and can't use them. I have never used this forum to "vent" but clearly I'm doing that now. However, my main question is... is there a way to see what United would charge me to upgrade without canceling my Plus Points?
Silver Fox and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Babymule
The frustration is once I apply my PlusPoints and wait for an upgrade, I am no longer able to see what United would "charge" me if I purchased the upgrade. Is anyone aware of a loophole where I could see what United would charge to upgrade once PlusPoints are applied?
Call or Twitter DM. An agent should be able to see what the "TOD" upgrade offer currently is.
ContinentalFan and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I am a consistent 1K and have applied my plus points to multiple flights. In the past, I would not book a flight unless I could book using them. Unfortunately, since COVID, I haven't found any flights that I can book using them and I still want to go on vacation. I figured I should be able to clear the waitlist, and have booked "waitlisting." I am not clearing. The frustration is once I apply my PlusPoints and wait for an upgrade, I am no longer able to see what United would "charge" me if I purchased the upgrade. Is anyone aware of a loophole where I could see what United would charge to upgrade once PlusPoints are applied?
I have a flight from SFO to SIN on Saturday that I will not clear. I have a flight to EWR to CDG in Sept and flights to HI next year that I'm "waitlisted." I have 470 Plus Points and can't use them. I have never used this forum to "vent" but clearly I'm doing that now. However, my main question is... is there a way to see what United would charge me to upgrade without canceling my Plus Points?
One person's rant is another person's data point. Personally, I will no longer waitlist for international flights (for domestic other than coast to coast, I am willing to do that since being in domestic F is not that important). I would not expect them to go through - zero chance on the US-EU leg, a vanishingly small one on the EU-US return. However, in the past, I have set ExpertFlyer to look for I space (saver award) on a waitlisted flight, because if saver award appears, there seems to often be a rough correlation with the price of the flight going down or PZ opening up.

However, if you are willing to fly on other airlines (I am, though I have been 1K off and on for a number of years) and have miles that are transferable from various credit cards, there is more upgrade for miles space on BA and AF/KLM these days. BA can be searched for on their site. AF/KLM can be searched for using ExpertFlyer. I have already booked a number through the end of the year. Both are much higher quality than UA.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
The frustration is once I apply my PlusPoints and wait for an upgrade, I am no longer able to see what United would "charge" me if I purchased the upgrade.
I had previously had this issue, and it ws suggested I use the UA app instead of the website. When I view a flight now tho, in either the app or web, I do see the purchase option tho, even though I have +P upgrade requested. I dont really know why it just started working... In the app, the upgrade 'offer' is near the bottom of the reservation details (on android). On the web, the splash is very clear! I have +Ps posted on the flight below.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hirohito888
At least with CPU, my upgrade percentage on AA is considerably higher. AA will actually upgrade at the window for EXP (100 hours).
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes a truly brilliant thread title.

And let's be clear, the primary extinction event was the UA policy change to stop running sweeps prior to T-24. I would be sitting in F this evening - and easily - if UA had a run a sweep at T-96 or T-72.

Here's how disgusted I am - now booking away primarily to WN for my weekly commute. Lower fares, equivalent schedule, and I don't have to cross the bay, saving minimum of 30 minutes each direction. If I'm going to sit in cattle class, might as well choose based on fare and convenience.
Originally Posted by Kacee
At least with CPU, my upgrade percentage on AA is considerably higher. AA will actually upgrade at the window for EXP (100 hours).
Just as a data point, I think they are still running sweeps before T-24, they just being dramatically more stingy with releasing them.
I had a CPU clear at T-72 hours recently. ~1 hour UAX flight on a CR5 with empty F cabin.

Overall, the lack of upgrade and award space (at reasonable levels) is atrocious currently. Fingers crossed things get better after this crazy summer season.
I have flown AA this month, which I never thought would happen. Sign of the times....
SPN Lifer, lsquare and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Just as a data point, I think they are still running sweeps before T-24, they just being dramatically more stingy with releasing them.
I had a CPU clear at T-72 hours recently. ~1 hour UAX flight on a CR5 with empty F cabin.

Overall, the lack of upgrade and award space (at reasonable levels) is atrocious currently. Fingers crossed things get better after this crazy summer season.
I have flown AA this month, which I never thought would happen. Sign of the times....
I had two flights clear recently several days ahead of time. It's rare, but it does happen.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: UN 1K MM, Marriott-LT TitanElite, Hyatt Glob; HH-Gold
Originally Posted by huey_driver
I had previously had this issue, and it ws suggested I use the UA app instead of the website. When I view a flight now tho, in either the app or web, I do see the purchase option tho, even though I have +P upgrade requested. I dont really know why it just started working... In the app, the upgrade 'offer' is near the bottom of the reservation details (on android). On the web, the splash is very clear! I have +Ps posted on the flight below.
Yes - I have this also. When I click on upgrade and select cash, it shows that I am not eligible.
**UPDATE on my situation** - we did not clear Biz/First. We did clear Premium Economy. Our flights are sold out and upon checking in, they are asking for volunteers. Tomorrow, there are 11 1st class seats available. I called United to see if it would even be possible to clear if we voluntary moved flights to tomorrow. I learned that Global Services is allowed to use their Plus Points on Mileage tickets. That's a nice perk for them. No way I could clear tomorrow. 7 Global Services wait listed and another 5 1Ks. When I will shared that I will never achieve Global Services because all of my business travel is domestic and not far, she told me that United does send invitations to consistent 1Ks. She wasn't aware how many years or what the circumstances were, but that it was possible. I had never heard that either. She also shared lifetime GS after 4 MM. Yea... I know that. I'm just trying to get my 2MM before I retire. 4MM is not even possible
Wish me luck.... 17 hours and an inability to sleep sitting up! This will be fun
uanj likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:53 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Yes - I have this also. When I click on upgrade and select cash, it shows that I am not eligible.
**UPDATE on my situation** - we did not clear Biz/First. We did clear Premium Economy. Our flights are sold out and upon checking in, they are asking for volunteers. Tomorrow, there are 11 1st class seats available. I called United to see if it would even be possible to clear if we voluntary moved flights to tomorrow. I learned that Global Services is allowed to use their Plus Points on Mileage tickets. That's a nice perk for them. No way I could clear tomorrow. 7 Global Services wait listed and another 5 1Ks. When I will shared that I will never achieve Global Services because all of my business travel is domestic and not far, she told me that United does send invitations to consistent 1Ks. She wasn't aware how many years or what the circumstances were, but that it was possible. I had never heard that either. She also shared lifetime GS after 4 MM. Yea... I know that. I'm just trying to get my 2MM before I retire. 4MM is not even possible
Wish me luck.... 17 hours and an inability to sleep sitting up! This will be fun
Have good trip! Let us know how you like the PE seats, they look a lot better than regular Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.