UA892 Aborts Takeoff Deplanes Passenger

Old Apr 26, 2022, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
UA892 Aborts Takeoff Deplanes Passenger

ICN-SFO

Craziest thing I've seen in my several thousand flights. Taxi from gate to runway, enter runway, spool up, spool down, taxi back to gate.

Story I got was a passenger, who only spoke Vietnamese (no English or Korean), and was on this flight because Korea had just rejected his entry at ICN. Guy started acting out during taxi, older fellow apparently with dementia.

Lots of back and forth at the gate, captain and first officer at the door, finally got the guy off and his luggage off. Had to top off fuel. Uneventful taxi to successful takoff.

Many people with busted connections due to the nuttiness.

That's it, short story.

Side note- this UA cabin crew in J was great, food not so much. These new Polaris seats are cramped 🙁
Old Apr 26, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
At least they solved the issue before you were airborne.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
UA2080 (IAH-OKC) deplaned all pax for similar, but ours was a belligerent guy who wouldnt stop running his mouth.
We reloaded fairly quickly, and finally departed. (I've been trying to get to OKC since yesterday at 1pm)
When we left, he had his nose pressed against the windows inside the terminal (not really)...
Must be one of those days.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Is it a full moon???
Old Apr 26, 2022, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
ICN-SFO

Craziest thing I've seen in my several thousand flights. Taxi from gate to runway, enter runway, spool up, spool down, taxi back to gate.

Story I got was a passenger, who only spoke Vietnamese (no English or Korean), and was on this flight because Korea had just rejected his entry at ICN. Guy started acting out during taxi, older fellow apparently with dementia.

Lots of back and forth at the gate, captain and first officer at the door, finally got the guy off and his luggage off. Had to top off fuel. Uneventful taxi to successful takoff.

Many people with busted connections due to the nuttiness.

That's it, short story.

Side note- this UA cabin crew in J was great, food not so much. These new Polaris seats are cramped 🙁
I feel bad for everyone involved. mostly for the person with dementia and their cognitive decline. if they were traveling alone i can't begin imagine how terrifying that experience was for them. I hope the authorities found them appropriate medical care and a decent support network and can reunite them with their family.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 8:07 pm

Interesting question (and not at all saying this is what is happening here): If someone is denied entry upon arrival, it would seem one way for them to stay would be to intentionally be disruptive and get kicked off their return flight. While the consequences for that would be pretty severe and I certainly wouldn't advise it, how does a country get someone who chooses that route out of their country?
Old Apr 26, 2022, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
There must be more to this story. I am assuming pax arrived on UA SFO-ICN, and was denied entry. If he had dementia, would he have had a caregiver? This raises questions about his check-in at SFO.

LoungeLizardHugo - Sorry to hear there has been no improvement in UA’s Polaris TPAC service! 😳
Old Apr 26, 2022, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gmt4
At least they solved the issue before you were airborne.
That is exactly how I felt!

Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Is it a full moon???
Leaving Grand Hyatt ICN to head to terminal for this flight, at desk checking out, heard a massive shaking BOOM! water started pouring down a big beautiful glass spiral staircase from floors above and flooding the massive lobby. Either part of the second floor swimming pool collapsed or a water main exploded. Insane. So yeah, full moon!

Originally Posted by prestonh
I feel bad for everyone involved. mostly for the person with dementia and their cognitive decline. if they were traveling alone i can't begin imagine how terrifying that experience was for them. I hope the authorities found them appropriate medical care and a decent support network and can reunite them with their family.
The only care was for SK to eject him, I was told for not having a covid test upon arrival. The health theatre there in-country is on another level. Roving temperature checking robots in the airport. I was thrilled to get the hell out. The only care he would have received is a trip into a quarantine facility

Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
Interesting question (and not at all saying this is what is happening here): If someone is denied entry upon arrival, it would seem one way for them to stay would be to intentionally be disruptive and get kicked off their return flight. While the consequences for that would be pretty severe and I certainly wouldn't advise it, how does a country get someone who chooses that route out of their country?
So many questions and scenarios to game out. Agreed. I'd love to know how this played out back in the terminal.

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
There must be more to this story. I am assuming pax arrived on UA SFO-ICN, and was denied entry. If he had dementia, would he have had a caregiver? This raises questions about his check-in at SFO.

So many questions, agreed. How the hell did he get on the SFO-ICN flight? No caregiver on our flight, just him. If anyone knows the details I'd love to hear? FT folks all over, never know who knows something more...

LoungeLizardHugo - Sorry to hear there has been no improvement in UA’s Polaris TPAC service! 😳
Lol! In all seriousness, it could have been far worse. Cabin crew were as good as any I've ever had, relaxed interaction and attentive.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 7:15 pm

aborted takeoff….. really?
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by featheroleather
aborted takeoff….. really?
Craziest thing I've ever experienced. Lined up, throttled up (not to full power), throttled back, turned off the runway at first exit. First officer came walking back through the cabin as we were taxiing, that NEVER happens. Wish I knew how to find the ATC tapes (like VASAviation YT channel). Probably more detail there.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Lined up, throttled up (not to full power), throttled back, turned off the runway at first exit.
Possible that the throttle up was to get to the nearest exit as quickly as possible to minimize time spent on the runway?
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econ
Possible that the throttle up was to get to the nearest exit as quickly as possible to minimize time spent on the runway?
My guess that is exactly what happened.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
My guess that is exactly what happened.
Then I guess that wouldn't be an "aborted takeoff", since the takeoff hadn't begun?
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:40 pm

IF it was the flt this week, it only landed @51 min late so billions of misconnects sells more papers also.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.