Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cell Phone Usage in Public - A Cautionary tale. You never know who is listening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Does Non Rev count?

Thanks to the sometimes very odd logic of crew scheduling, and a few weather-related things, I found myself deadheading from EWR this week. Without going into the details of our pilot contract, I was given a seat in first class for this flight. I was one of the last to board and started to put my gear away and build my nest for the flight, when I noticed, more like heard a very loud woman talking on her cell phone in the seat behind me. My seatmate, a very well dressed and distinguished gentleman seemed quite interested in her conversation and was actually holding his phone up to the headrest, seemingly recording what this woman was saying. I immediately think of all the possible reasons he seems so upset, and appears to be recording what she is saying, and brace myself for what I figured may end up an issue for the crew, and a delay in departure.

I take my seat, say hello, and he politely says good morning and asks for a minute to collect himself. Meanwhile, the loud talker behind me is going on and on about some software deal she is working on, and how it's going to be huge, and she's pricing out a new Audi as soon as she gets home. Having seen and dealt with the typical "Master of the Universe" types on flights before, I am grateful for my iPad loaded with TV shows to catch up on, and a noise cancelling headset to tune her out and rest before a day of flying commences. Before I can fully get situated, loud talker is bragging about how she is overcharging this customer for stuff, and how inept the people on the technology team she is selling to are. She seems very pleased with herself, while my seatmate and a few surrounding passengers seem annoyed at the loud volume so early in the AM.

My seatmate apologies for holding his phone over my seat, and quietly explains that the loud talker behind us has been talking about HIS company. As it turns out, he is on the board of the very organization this woman is talking about. He is furious, and recorded a bunch of her conversation, and was furiously sending texts and emails off to people in his company about stopping whatever transaction she is involved in. I guess at this point, he could no longer contain himself, and he slips this woman his business card. I didn't get to see her face, but she did get off the phone pretty quickly, and didn't utter a peep after that.

As the flight was wrapping up, he mentioned that he and the CEO of the company had sent a clip of the recording to the CEO of the software company this woman worked at, and I suspect she may be unemployed by now. The drama was better than watching Cobra kai on my iPad!

All in a day's work I guess...
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:19 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
While this probably belongs in the "DYKWIA" thread, I'm so glad I got to read this as its own thread and hope it stays as such, as this is something special.
Redhead, wcj1, bwallet and 29 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by 757FO
Thanks to the sometimes very odd logic of crew scheduling, and a few weather-related things, I found myself deadheading from EWR this week. Without going into the details of our pilot contract, I was given a seat in first class for this flight. I was one of the last to board and started to put my gear away and build my nest for the flight, when I noticed, more like heard a very loud woman talking on her cell phone in the seat behind me. My seatmate, a very well dressed and distinguished gentleman seemed quite interested in her conversation and was actually holding his phone up to the headrest, seemingly recording what this woman was saying. I immediately think of all the possible reasons he seems so upset, and appears to be recording what she is saying, and brace myself for what I figured may end up an issue for the crew, and a delay in departure.

I take my seat, say hello, and he politely says good morning and asks for a minute to collect himself. Meanwhile, the loud talker behind me is going on and on about some software deal she is working on, and how it's going to be huge, and she's pricing out a new Audi as soon as she gets home. Having seen and dealt with the typical "Master of the Universe" types on flights before, I am grateful for my iPad loaded with TV shows to catch up on, and a noise cancelling headset to tune her out and rest before a day of flying commences. Before I can fully get situated, loud talker is bragging about how she is overcharging this customer for stuff, and how inept the people on the technology team she is selling to are. She seems very pleased with herself, while my seatmate and a few surrounding passengers seem annoyed at the loud volume so early in the AM.

My seatmate apologies for holding his phone over my seat, and quietly explains that the loud talker behind us has been talking about HIS company. As it turns out, he is on the board of the very organization this woman is talking about. He is furious, and recorded a bunch of her conversation, and was furiously sending texts and emails off to people in his company about stopping whatever transaction she is involved in. I guess at this point, he could no longer contain himself, and he slips this woman his business card. I didn't get to see her face, but she did get off the phone pretty quickly, and didn't utter a peep after that.

As the flight was wrapping up, he mentioned that he and the CEO of the company had sent a clip of the recording to the CEO of the software company this woman worked at, and I suspect she may be unemployed by now. The drama was better than watching Cobra kai on my iPad!

All in a day's work I guess...
Interesting story, thanks for sharing. Depending on the state of jurisdiction recording a conversation may require consent of both parties. Not getting it I understood was a gross misdemeanor in one of the states I lived in.
Del Mar 1K, milski and volabam like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
I only play a lawyer on TV but I can't imagine there is any legal expectation of privacy when you are yelling into a phone on a plane packed with people.
Spiff, stef315, bwallet and 68 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:33 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by prestonh
Interesting story, thanks for sharing. Depending on the state of jurisdiction recording a conversation may require consent of both parties. Not getting it I understood was a gross misdemeanor in one of the states I lived in.
IANAL, but this is not recording both parties, and hence, not recording of a phone call. There is absolutely zero expectation of privacy on a plane, especially when said 'offender' is intentionally making her statements for the entire cabin/plane/airport/jurisdiction to hear. I believe it to be just fine, as I don't think this qualifies as something requiring consent.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by prestonh
Depending on the state of jurisdiction recording a conversation may require consent of both parties.
Both?
Appears she was digging her hole all by herself, and thusly it was a recording of only ONE party....in a public place.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Reminds me of when I was the HLO (Helicopter Landing Officer) back in my Navy days and we were in the process of bringing COMTHIRDFLEET (an Admiral) on board via chopper. The OOD (Officer Of the Deck) was a friend of mine and didn't want any snags in the landing operation for a VIP and was riding my butt about making the landing quick and smooth. My deck crew was ready for the landing but there was haze on approach and I couldn't confirm the condition of the landing gear visually, so I wasn't ready to give them a "green deck" for landing until I saw the gear myself. He got on the sound-powered phone and was screaming at me to give them a green deck and I was screaming back at him that there was no way that I was giving a green deck until I could see their gear. Needless to say, the conversation got nasty, and there was an enlisted combat phone talker on the line listening in, so I asked him if the Captain had heard us fighting and the phone talker said, "Sir, he's on the line right now".
After flight quarters were secured, a 1MC (ships public announcing system) announcement was made for both of us to report to the Captain's stateroom, whereupon we were both reamed out even though I was in the right. I still remember to this day, the Captain saying, "How do you think I feel when two of my officers are fighting with each other in front of the crew? You did not exhibit good order and discipline and failed in your duties miserably."
FlyerBeek, Palal, volabam and 4 others like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 21, 2022 at 8:57 am
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
In my busy sales days practically living on airplanes and ultra loyal to United, I intentionally never talk business on the flight for this very reason as you never know who is nearby, especially going to from major trade shows.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
In my busy sales days practically living on airplanes and ultra loyal to United, I intentionally never talk business on the flight for this very reason as you never know who is nearby, especially going to from major trade shows.
Same here.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
I'm glad this thread wasn't about a cell phone causing a problem with the airplane's communications (which was the original rationale for banning cell phone usage after the plane door is closed -- is that even an issue any more???).
As for the cell phone talker, shame on her for her greed and lack of sense.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Reminds me of when I was the HLO (Helicopter Landing Officer) back in my Navy days and we were in the process of bringing COMTHIRDFLEET (an Admiral) on board via chopper. The OOD (Officer Of the Deck) was a friend of mine and didn't want any snags in the landing operation for a VIP and was riding my butt about making the landing quick and smooth. My deck crew was ready for the landing but there was haze on approach and I couldn't confirm the condition of the landing gear visually, so I wasn't ready to give them a "green deck" for landing until I saw the gear myself. He got on the sound-powered phone and was screaming at me to give them a green deck and I was screaming back at him that there was no way that I was giving a green deck until I could see their gear. Needless to say, the conversation got nasty, and there was an enlisted combat phone talker on the line listening in, so I asked him if the Captain had heard us fighting and the phone talker said, "Sir, he's on the line right now".
After flight quarters were secured, a 1MC (ships public announcing system) announcement was made for both of us to report to the Captain's stateroom, whereupon we were both reamed out even though I was in the right. I still remember to this day, the Captain saying, "How do you think I feel when two of my officers are fighting with each other in front of the crew? You did not exhibit good order and discipline and failed in your duties miserably."
As a former Air Force pilot, this sounds like what I would expect in the Navy. Something like this would never happen in the Air Force. (wink, wink)
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
We actually have "training videos" about discussing sensitive topics in public. Though in the videos, it's usually a foreign looking FA/Spy listening in.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:34 am
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
[checking the corporate directory to see if any of my Sales contacts is no longer around...}
Old Apr 21, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Love it! I've worked in sales for years and have overheard many conversations in the lounge or plane that shouldn't have been public. The beauty of this situation is that the wrong person overheard the conversation. What comes around, goes around.
jamiel, Lori_Q, Wooglin and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:00 am

Oh wow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.