Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Possible to pay upgrade to Premium Plus & then use PP / MUA to upgrade to Polaris?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to pay upgrade to Premium Plus & then use PP / MUA to upgrade to Polaris?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by eng3
I believe the OP days he already asked

How do you know the status level of the people on the list.
I think it goes by status first then booking class. I assume your above 1k in Y
OP is a 1K. If he sees people on Polaris WL also on the PP waitlist he can assume they have higher status than he does (assuming he's booked O class PP).

That said, does the waitlist actually show correctly now? I seem to recall that when PP was rolled out it would show higher status pax on Polaris waitlist first, but they would get "jumped" by paying PP pax. (Happened to me - I had upgraded to PP but still waitlisted for Polaris and couldn't figure out why as #1 on WL people kept jumping me - they were paid PP)

Last edited by drewguy; Apr 19, 2022 at 7:25 am
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Originally Posted by drewguy
OP is a 1K. If he sees people on Polaris WL also on the PP waitlist he can assume they have higher status than he does (assuming he's booked O class PP).
Correct

Originally Posted by drewguy
That said, does the waitlist actually show correctly now? I seem to recall that when PP was rolled out it would show higher status pax on Polaris waitlist first, but they would get "jumped" by paying PP pax. (Happened to me - I had upgraded to PP but still waitlisted for Polaris and couldn't figure out why as #1 on WL people kept jumping me - they were paid PP)
Hope that's right, based on my current placement on the waitlist. But I have read thru FT wikis and threads, articles, UA website, etc.... and I still don't know if there is a definitive answer on 3-cabin Polaris upgrade priority.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Small data point... I have done this a few times on Premium Transcon routes. I have booked economy, and then I am offered an "upgrade" to Premium Plus (which eventually shows up as a "Day of Departure" Upgrade in my activity). However, each time it HAS booked me into the actual PP fare class (despite activity below showing ZS), not the Upgrade class. And the receipt stated "Premium Economy Upsell". I was then able to apply Plus Points to upgrade to Polaris.

Not sure if it would be different on an international itinerary, but just wanted to share my experience on premium transcon in a similar situation.
FlyerBeek and 8MiHi like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Upgrades are done two different ways. They can book you into (O,A,R) where it is the same as if you bought that fare. (Often you are paying the fare difference) Or they can "upgrade" you. I forget the term for this, "up-fare". This is where you get put into RN. With the former, you can apply a PP and upgrade further. With the later, you cannot. The problem is, that when you get an upgrade offer it is very difficult / impossible to know which one. Since an "upgrade" is not refundable, you are gambling. This is where it helps to ask the agent ahead of time which bucket you will get put in.
Thanks for all of the input. If there is even I slight risk I pay for upgrade to PremEco and get RN, which doesn't allow me to upgrade further, then I will pass on this. Personally for me, Prem Eco is just not worth it. Lay flat seats or bust!
zombietooth likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe the OP days he already asked
He says that web support told him he couldn't, but it's not clear that they understand the rules. I would specifically ask "What fare class does this upgrade book into?"

How do you know the status level of the people on the list.
I think it goes by status first then booking class. I assume your above 1k in Y
I think O,A,R are before economy regardless of status but there is an exception carved out for GS who are ahead of everyone no matter what.

There's a discussion and this in the "Understanding the upgrade list" thread but there is some uncertainty there as well. That thread also has a wiki which gives the ordering (and which may or may not still be accurate). What I wrote above matches the ordering in the wiki (for non-CPU-eligible flights)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
How did this turn out? In a similar situation myself.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:36 am

This is all new to me as a new 1K, but for a future flight that I was able to get confirmed upgrades to PP outbound and am waitlisted for PP on the return, there are no options for me to use points to upgrade/waitlist to Polaris for either flight.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jonu
This is all new to me as a new 1K, but for a future flight that I was able to get confirmed upgrades to PP outbound and am waitlisted for PP on the return, there are no options for me to use points to upgrade/waitlist to Polaris for either flight.
For your return flight, you can withdraw the request yourself and reapply the PP request for both PP and Polaris cabins.
For your outbound, you need to call 1K lines to add the request for Polaris cabin.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
For your return flight, you can withdraw the request yourself and reapply the PP request for both PP and Polaris cabins.
For your outbound, you need to call 1K lines to add the request for Polaris cabin.
Thank you. Good to know.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kmxu
... For your outbound, you need to call 1K lines to add the request for Polaris cabin.
Once a segment is confirmed you can not change a PlusPoints request.

It is still possible to get a cash upgrade offer for business on a confirmed PremPlus upgrade, best chance may be check-in
Old Dec 8, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
I have four cases in the last month where we booked an economy award - paid $400 to upgrade to Premium Economy - and then used upgrade points (30) to upgrade to Polaris.
YMMV…
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 11:30 am

Wanted to share a DP for my flight tomorrow. Currently, I am booked on a domestic flight that connects to a long haul international flight. W class for both legs. Originally waitlisted for both PremiumPlus and Polaris and looked at the list. Was #13 on the Polaris list and #6 on the PremiumPlus with both cabins having 4 seats available or less.

Looked at changing my ticket to a PremiumPlus ticket (where the first leg would book in B class and the second in R). Cost: $380. Looked at an upsell for the second leg only and that came out to $247. Pulled the trigger on the upsell, applied my waitlist again and I'm now #4 on the Polaris list. Looks like it booked into R class.
SPN Lifer, TH310 and 8MiHi like this.
Old May 18, 2023, 8:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; UA Gold; Marriott Gold; Accor Gold;
I am hoping someone might be able to answer the below. I have a feeling that calling CS might be the best course, though.

My wife and 12 yo are traveling from EWR -BCN in early June. Originally it was an XN or N fare, I paid $375 per to upsell/upgrade to an R fare. The app upgrade system shows a rate of 20K miles and $425 per ticket to waitlist for an upgrade to J. My question is... if I choose to upgrade and join the waitlist, do I get my initial $375 back if the upgrade clears? Or I am looking at things incorrectly and an upgrade to J would cost me 20K and $800?

TIA!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 18, 2023 at 9:03 am Reason: moved to subject thread
Old May 18, 2023, 8:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tex1721
I am hoping someone might be able to answer the below. I have a feeling that calling CS might be the best course, though.

My wife and 12 yo are traveling from EWR -BCN in early June. Originally it was an XN or N fare, I paid $375 per to upsell/upgrade to an R fare. The app upgrade system shows a rate of 20K miles and $425 per ticket to waitlist for an upgrade to J. My question is... if I choose to upgrade and join the waitlist, do I get my initial $375 back if the upgrade clears? ...
No
Your original fare XN was ineligible for a mileage+copay upgrade, the cash upgrade made you eligible and has substantially improved your position on the waitlist.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 18, 2023 at 9:02 am
Old May 18, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by tex1721

My wife and 12 yo are traveling from EWR -BCN in early June. Originally it was an XN or N fare, I paid $375 per to upsell/upgrade to an R fare. The app upgrade system shows a rate of 20K miles and $425 per ticket to waitlist for an upgrade to J. My question is... if I choose to upgrade and join the waitlist, do I get my initial $375 back if the upgrade clears? Or I am looking at things incorrectly and an upgrade to J would cost me 20K and $800?

TIA!
N is basic economy, XN is award fare, which was it? Won't get upgrade fee back either way, but you're not supposed to in theory be able to upgrade from XN to J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.