Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA-partner Business Awards 60K multiple destinations,BKK,KUL,HKG,CGK,MNL, .. changes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA-partner Business Awards 60K multiple destinations,BKK,KUL,HKG,CGK,MNL, .. changes?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Have you looked at the availability of FC cabin on SNA-IAH? You need JN4 before you call United. Good luck.
Do you mean I need to look at the seat map and make sure there are 4 open seats in business on SNA-IAD? If so, yes, there are four seats open on the seat map. So, I should just call and ask to be moved there? Thanks for your help!!
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ashley1245
Do you mean I need to look at the seat map and make sure there are 4 open seats in business on SNA-IAD? If so, yes, there are four seats open on the seat map. So, I should just call and ask to be moved there? Thanks for your help!!
Sometimes, the seat map does not accurately indicate how many seats are available for sale.

On your profile, you need to turn on “expert mode.” https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ng-re-opt.html Then, you search for your booked flight, SNA-IAH to see available fare classes after clicking “details” below the flight info. It will show something like J9, JN9, C7, D2.. In your case, you look at the number after JN. If the number is less than 4, you need to split the reservation into two to get the remaining FC seats, as another poster suggested.

There is no guarantee that you will get those seats. But you paid 60K miles for JN although it was sort of mistake fare. There is nothing to lose to ask! Good luck.
Flying Machine and ashley1245 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
Did you ask for other routings in business? Like IAD-FRA/MUC/ZRH/LHR-IST? US should have been able to put you into business TATL.

You will get 27k miles back. 60k vs. 33k partner Y.
Thanks for your help! It's a long story...

Yes, the agent firstly offered IAD-FRA-IST. He originally said he could rebook me into the business class for IAD-FRA, but later he said he couldn't because it was not a UA flight. So he put me into the economy class for IAD-FRA-IST. I asked the agent since I can't be in the business class, can he rebook me into the direct flight IAD-IST. He said it was full...
At the lufthansa desk, its manager was very confused, he asked me: why I was downgraded, and why not taking the direct flight for IAD-IST? He called someone in charge of UA desk, and the other side said it was because of the cheap mileage award ticket, I can only get rebooked into economy. But the other side ended up getting me a direct flight IAD-IST, even though still in economy...
I was like a ball kicked among UA, Lufthansa, and Turkish desks for several hours. Very frustrating.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by dmark1021

Yes, the agent firstly offered IAD-FRA-IST. He originally said he could rebook me into the business class for IAD-FRA, but later he said he couldn't because it was not a UA flight. So he put me into the economy class for IAD-FRA-IST. I asked the agent since I can't be in the business class, can he rebook me into the direct flight IAD-IST. He said it was full...
At the lufthansa desk, its manager was very confused, he asked me: why I was downgraded, and why not taking the direct flight for IAD-IST? He called someone in charge of UA desk, and the other side said it was because of the cheap mileage award ticket, I can only get rebooked into economy. But the other side ended up getting me a direct flight IAD-IST, even though still in economy...
I was like a ball kicked among UA, Lufthansa, and Turkish desks for several hours. Very frustrating.
Why would the original miles paid for a ticket affect rebooking?
Old Aug 14, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
They want to make it difficult to honor the original miles booking
Old Aug 14, 2022, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

Right, you would have needed to take a UA flight to Europe
Old Aug 14, 2022, 3:21 pm

I guess it is too expensive to rebook me into the business class on a partner flight?
At least both the business and economy class were not full on that flight.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 3:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I guess it is too expensive to rebook me into the business class on a partner flight?
At least both the business and economy class were not full on that flight.
On award flights, the award fare class needs to be open to rebook by the non-flight operator. UA can rebook and honor the award fare class on its metal assuming any space is available (and does not need to be award space)
jsloan and Flying Machine like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
On award flights, the award fare class needs to be open to rebook by the non-flight operator. UA can rebook and honor the award fare class on its metal assuming any space is available (and does not need to be award space)
this is the case for irrops, not just advance sked change?
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by desafino
this is the case for irrops, not just advance sked change?
Irrops becomes a difficult situation as non-involved partners will push back on taking a award ticket, I think you will find some cases in irrops, especially irrops created by a partner and solvable by the same partner can work. Irrops created by one carrier, will generally get little help from another carrier.
It can happen, especially for short flights (converted to cash tickets but long haul is very rare based on reports in this forum. I'm sure someone will report a different experience but there have been many disappointed award flyers.
If UA award, UA will provide appropriate coverage where it can. Although the *A rules state booked cabin should be maintained, you will see little help except from the carrier creating the problem or UA.

This is a dark downside to award tickets.
Flying Machine likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 14, 2022 at 5:26 pm
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Irrops becomes a difficult situation as non-involved partners will push back on taking a award ticket, I think you will find some cases in irrops, especially irrops created by a partner and solvable by the same partner can work. Irrops created by one carrier, will generally get little help from another carrier.
It can happen, especially for short flights (converted to cash tickets but long haul is very rare based on reports in this forum. I'm sure someone will report a different experience but there have been many disappointed award flyers.
If UA award, UA will provide appropriate coverage where it can. Although the *A rules state booked cabin should be maintained, you will see little help except from the carrier creating the problem or UA.
Do you happen to have a link to the Star Alliance Rules for reference? I would like to read it.. I tried searching I couldn’t find it
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:31 pm

Do you happen to have a link to the Star Alliance Rules for reference? I would like to read it.. I tried searching I couldn’t find it
The last publicly published guide (2018)
page 152
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:49 pm

Thank you very much!
Old Aug 14, 2022, 7:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Sometimes, the seat map does not accurately indicate how many seats are available for sale.

On your profile, you need to turn on “expert mode.” https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ng-re-opt.html Then, you search for your booked flight, SNA-IAH to see available fare classes after clicking “details” below the flight info. It will show something like J9, JN9, C7, D2.. In your case, you look at the number after JN. If the number is less than 4, you need to split the reservation into two to get the remaining FC seats, as another poster suggested.

There is no guarantee that you will get those seats. But you paid 60K miles for JN although it was sort of mistake fare. There is nothing to lose to ask! Good luck.
this totally worked! Expert mode showed JN7. Used the United chat function and we are all four now in business for the Sna-iAd leg. Thanks again, so appreciate your help!
Old Aug 14, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ashley1245
this totally worked! Expert mode showed JN7. Used the United chat function and we are all four now in business for the Sna-iAd leg. Thanks again, so appreciate your help!
Great!
A few of us have the same NZ routes, entering at Wellington and departing from Christchurch. My trip will be between X-mas and NYD. We could have beers in NZ together should our schedules match.😄

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.