Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA-partner Business Awards 60K multiple destinations,BKK,KUL,HKG,CGK,MNL, .. changes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA-partner Business Awards 60K multiple destinations,BKK,KUL,HKG,CGK,MNL, .. changes?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2022, 6:47 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by emcampbe
well, not sure when you are traveling, but according to TG website, at least now, international TG lounges in BKK are closed -
There is at least one TG lounge open in BKK international section because I visited it about 2 weeks ago.
restlessinRNO and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 7:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WillSkiGT
... Very annoying to book assuming you will be in business class and 5 seconds later be told you will be slumming it. ....
This is always a small risk with awards as once you make the section it is forwarded to the partner airline to confirm and sometimes by the time that happens, the inventory disappears. There was frantic purchasing during this sale / error and inventory was evaporating very quickly. ANd TG is a bit flaky at time with awards.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is always a small risk with awards as once you make the section it is forwarded to the partner airline to confirm and sometimes by the time that happens, the inventory disappears. There was frantic purchasing during this sale / error and inventory was evaporating very quickly. ANd TG is a bit flaky at time with awards.
There were 18 open seats in J on BKK-DPS for 48 hours before and after I booked my ticket, so the inventory must have been extremely out of date. Frustrating, but oh well. At least the long segments are in J.

United did absolutely nothing, as expected, so just wasted 2 hours on the phone.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There were 18 open seats in J on BKK-DPS for 48 hours before and after I booked my ticket, so the inventory must have been extremely out of date. Frustrating, but oh well. At least the long segments are in J. ...
Award inventory is a completely different thing from unassigned seats. Award inventory is only a fraction of the seats on any flight

United did absolutely nothing, as expected, so just wasted 2 hours on the phone.
There is little UA could have done other than to look for alternatively flights. UA has no power to force availability on another carrier

Frustration levels can be addressed by understanding how the system works and having appropriate expectations.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Award inventory is a completely different thing from unassigned seats. Award inventory is only a fraction of the seats on any flight
My point was that award inventory didn't just suddenly dry up from someone making a booking at the same time as I did.

For 2+ days before I booked, UA.com and EF both showed the same number of open seats and award seats on the downgraded segment as existed when I booked.

In all likelihood it's an issue with TG's IT, but still frustrating that *A partners are not able to display/see even remotely up-to-date inventory. I would understand if someone else had taken the remaining J award bucketed seats just before me, but based on the datapoints I have, there was actually no J availability for many days before I booked and that J inventory was "ghost" inventory because TG is slow or has some kind of issue.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by m.y
There is at least one TG lounge open in BKK international section because I visited it about 2 weeks ago.
This is correct - it is the Thai Prestige Lounge located opposite the D4 gate. 😊
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by restlessinRNO; Apr 30, 2022 at 10:35 pm
Old May 1, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

In all likelihood it's an issue with TG's IT, but still frustrating that *A partners are not able to display/see even remotely up-to-date inventory. I would understand if someone else had taken the remaining J award bucketed seats just before me, but based on the datapoints I have, there was actually no J availability for many days before I booked and that J inventory was "ghost" inventory because TG is slow or has some kind of issue.
All the airlines have the capability to display real-time partner availability - but they don't because of the high GDS transaction fees so the airlines rely on crude availability systems that generally work fine unless people start redeeming large volumes of tickets as what happened in this case. I wouldn't be surprised if TG updates the availability system only once a day or a few times a day.
Old May 1, 2022, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
That's not super useful, as I transferred 198k Chase points to United specifically to book this itinerary and there are no other saver awards available for the month of travel.

Any idea why this glitch would even occur? IT issue?
life happens. I transferred 600k to UA for 4 biz class tix to Israel. Has to cancel because the country did not open for tourism in 2021.

like you not excited about having a large balance at UA. But there are many worse things. And will be plenty of opportunities to redeem.

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Correct, unless they are *G. If you are *G you would have access at SYD.

*A lounge finder says there are 2 lounges at SYD (SQ & NZ, but the NZ is currently closed).
What happened to the UA lounge at Syd? My recollection is that the famous Annie retired.

I don't disagree, but I believe it also means we will lose lounge access in BKK.
you aren’t missing much. The TG lounges are among the worst I’ve used. SQ was nice but used to be a long hike from the TG flights.

if lounges are that crucial just buy a pass.
Old May 1, 2022, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Correct, unless they are *G. If you are *G you would have access at SYD.

*A lounge finder says there are 2 lounges at SYD (SQ & NZ, but the NZ is currently closed).
The NZ lounge is also open. SQ is very good. Both decent.
Old May 1, 2022, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
... What happened to the UA lounge at Syd? ...
closed 2008 (?)

Originally Posted by Boraxo
...My recollection is that the famous Annie retired. ...
Annie is a rock star (aka United in Australia) (retired 2020)
Old May 5, 2022, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by thuctrang
I get 3 free checked bags on the outbound but there's a fee on the inbound from BKK to the US. All segments in J. Why the bag fees?
Originally Posted by cfischer
there is no fee. Common display error on united.com
cfischer, can you elaborate on this?

I got the 60K deal on the following itinerary:

TMS-ACC on TAP in Business (I)
ACC-IAD on United in United Polaris Business (JN)
IAD-DFW on United in United First (JN)

The reservation on the United web site and the eTicket email both
show that first and second checked bags cost US$240 each.

The reservation on the TAP web site just shows that no bags are
included, but does not specify the baggage charges.

Seems very strange indeed for an international ticket in Business to
not include any free checked bags.

Last edited by dogcanyon; May 5, 2022 at 6:56 pm
Old May 5, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
cfischer, can you elaborate on this?

I got the 60K deal on the following itinerary:

TMS-ACC on TAP in Business (I)
ACC-IAD on United in United Polaris Business (JN)
IAD-DFW on United in United First (JN)

The reservation on the United web site and the eTicket email both
show that first and second checked bags cost US$240 each.

The reservation on the TAP web site just shows that no bags are
included, but does not specify the baggage charges.

Seems very strange indeed for an international ticket in Business to
not include any free checked bags.
You will not accrue baggage fees with TAP
Old May 29, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Has anyone had a schedule change on this 60K fare that has made their original itinerary invalid? I have a DPS-IST-ORD-YYZ itinery in which the IST-ORD leg has been pushed back several hours, making my connection time in ORD now negative 5 hours. Does anyone have advice on how to proceed? I'm worried that calling and changing the ticket to a later ORD-YYZ flight will bump the award price up. So far I have done nothing as the flight isn't until February.
Old May 29, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by gspurr
Has anyone had a schedule change on this 60K fare that has made their original itinerary invalid? I have a DPS-IST-ORD-YYZ itinery in which the IST-ORD leg has been pushed back several hours, making my connection time in ORD now negative 5 hours. Does anyone have advice on how to proceed? I'm worried that calling and changing the ticket to a later ORD-YYZ flight will bump the award price up. So far I have done nothing as the flight isn't until February.
They should set up a valid flight at same award miles no problem.
Boraxo and Flying Machine like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by gspurr
...I'm worried that calling and changing the ticket to a later ORD-YYZ flight will bump the award price up. So far I have done nothing as the flight isn't until February.
As long as ORD-YYZ is or can be on UA operated flight, you should be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.