Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA-partner Business Awards 60K multiple destinations,BKK,KUL,HKG,CGK,MNL, .. changes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA-partner Business Awards 60K multiple destinations,BKK,KUL,HKG,CGK,MNL, .. changes?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Really? I have never had problems finding JL awards, right up to the pandemic. That's been my main way to burn AS miles. Of course until Japan reopens again I don't expect things to return to normal. But between AS and AA I have well over a million miles and most of them are going to JL once things get going over there again.
We only use her miles between Tokyo and NYC -- or sometimes within Japan to visit her family -- they are quite stingy with award availability compared to UA which we can usually get almost any day we want.... Also -- we only look for J class seats internationally -- I'm sure Y is easier....
Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:55 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by hogo74
Totally true in terms of pricing, but what makes this one stand out is the great availability compared to these other options. Of course on the flipside I'd rather fly JL or NH than UA across the Pacific, but that's not always an option.
I've got about 800K United miles, so anytime I can get over 1.5 cents value per mile, I use them. Lately I've counted myself lucky when I got more than 1 cent per mile. So at 5 cents a mile, this looks pretty good to me.

If you don't use them now, you can watch the value gradually tick down to 0.8 cents a mile. Believe me, it will.
edsh likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
We only use her miles between Tokyo and NYC -- or sometimes within Japan to visit her family -- they are quite stingy with award availability compared to UA which we can usually get almost any day we want.... Also -- we only look for J class seats internationally -- I'm sure Y is easier....
I was flying F out of SFO. Not sure if that's easier. Not that I ever made use of this trick, but they would usually release F availability for all but 1 of the unsold seats within a day or two of departure. With AS it's only 10k more miles for F so I never used miles on J.

Originally Posted by porciuscato
I've got about 800K United miles, so anytime I can get over 1.5 cents value per mile, I use them. Lately I've counted myself lucky when I got more than 1 cent per mile. So at 5 cents a mile, this looks pretty good to me.

If you don't use them now, you can watch the value gradually tick down to 0.8 cents a mile. Believe me, it will.
0.8c seems pretty pessimistic.

As for 5c a mile, UA may very well sell these tickets for $6k round trip but there are certainly cheaper options (possibly on other airlines, arguably with a better J experience). I had an $1800 JFK-TYO-TPE (JL J) round trip scheduled for May 2020. Cancelled due to the pandemic, of course. Sad times -- some people pay more than that to fly transcon one way in a lie flat! That was a particularly excellent deal, but sub-$3000 fare sales to southeast Asia (especially BKK!) are not uncommon at all. I would value this at about 2c a mile (because I would not pay more than $2500 for the RT)

Unless if you would actually pay $6k for the trip, the valuation is not really 5c. That's my only point.

I don't mean to badmouth this deal! It's a good deal (especially with the excursionist perk) and I'm happy to have booked it! I'm going to Vietnam for the first time and going back to Bangkok, all in business class. No complaints here! But my point is that if you look to other programs as well there are similarly good deals all the time. I generally like UA but to get good value it's important to be flexible and keep your options open.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:21 pm

I get 3 free checked bags on the outbound but there's a fee on the inbound from BKK to the US. All segments in J. Why the bag fees?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by thuctrang
I get 3 free checked bags on the outbound but there's a fee on the inbound from BKK to the US. All segments in J. Why the bag fees?
there is no fee. Common display error on united.com
thuctrang likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I was flying F out of SFO. Not sure if that's easier. Not that I ever made use of this trick, but they would usually release F availability for all but 1 of the unsold seats within a day or two of departure. With AS it's only 10k more miles for F so I never used miles on J.

0.8c seems pretty pessimistic.

As for 5c a mile, UA may very well sell these tickets for $6k round trip but there are certainly cheaper options (possibly on other airlines, arguably with a better J experience). I had an $1800 JFK-TYO-TPE (JL J) round trip scheduled for May 2020. Cancelled due to the pandemic, of course. Sad times -- some people pay more than that to fly transcon one way in a lie flat! That was a particularly excellent deal, but sub-$3000 fare sales to southeast Asia (especially BKK!) are not uncommon at all. I would value this at about 2c a mile (because I would not pay more than $2500 for the RT)

Unless if you would actually pay $6k for the trip, the valuation is not really 5c. That's my only point.

I don't mean to badmouth this deal! It's a good deal (especially with the excursionist perk) and I'm happy to have booked it! I'm going to Vietnam for the first time and going back to Bangkok, all in business class. No complaints here! But my point is that if you look to other programs as well there are similarly good deals all the time. I generally like UA but to get good value it's important to be flexible and keep your options open.
As someone who regularly pays 4-6K for Asian flights in J, it's a fantastic deal due to wide availability. I'm on the East Coast and haven't been able to book even one J-pair on JL using AS miles. It's a lot harder than you think. We can't wait for last-minute openings like you, my international travel is primarily for business and my travel has to executed within relatively narrow windows. I have no use for the excursionist perk, so that part does have zero value to me.

I agree with porciuscato; the value of UA miles is dropping faster than the dollar. Spend them now, while you can get good value.

Last edited by zombietooth; Apr 19, 2022 at 6:41 pm
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
"One of the flights in your itinerary has been cancelled or is still not confirmed."

This is a TG segment for ZRH-BKK and BKK-FRA.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
"One of the flights in your itinerary has been cancelled or is still not confirmed."

This is a TG segment for ZRH-BKK and BKK-FRA.
likely the itin you booked ran out of I/X space on the TG segment before it was able to ticket. partner availability seems to update quite slowly.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by zombietooth
As someone who regularly pays 4-6K for Asian flights in J, it's a fantastic deal due to wide availability. I'm on the East Coast and haven't been able to book even one J-pair on JL using AS miles. It's a lot harder than you think. We can't wait for last-minute openings like you, my international travel is primarily for business and my travel has to executed within relatively narrow windows. I have no use for the excursionist perk, so that part does have zero value to me.

I agree with porciuscato; the value of UA miles is dropping faster than the dollar. Spend them now, while you can get good value.
I was just typing this -- and then saw that you did it much better -- we also don't have the luxury of just deciding a few days out -- so that's why we've always found UA to be a much better provider of award space in advance,...
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by blerb795
likely the itin you booked ran out of I/X space on the TG segment before it was able to ticket. partner availability seems to update quite slowly.
That happened to me a couple of days ago. I had booked ghost inventory and it never ticketed. I went back in and changed the date by one day and it ticketed fine.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:49 pm

More and more blogs/wannabe bloggers are covering this dynamic pricing *feature* (likely after booking their own tickets and waiting a few days to be safe). Better book soon; if UA doesn't address this by EOD tomorrow, something is majorly wrong in Willis
s777bg likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:36 pm
soy

Programs: various
You can fly to Asia in business class on JL using 60k AS miles all day every day. 70k for F. And you get a stopover. Add 5k miles to continue to southeast Asia.

And you can fly round trip to Tokyo in business for 75k/85k/90k ANA miles depending on season. So that's only 45k each way even during high season. And they are an Amex transfer partner (5 points per dollar on airfare with the Plat) so you can get a round trip to Japan every time you spend $15k-$18k on airfare.

So yes this is a good deal but it's not like deals like this don't exist in other programs all time.
All true, but if you are holding UA miles, this is a great way to burn them off. I cancelled an AA Award to DPS on JL in favor of UA/TG as I expect UA to revert to previous pricing within days, whereas I expect to have more time before AA/AS eventually devalue
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:40 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Punekar
More and more blogs/wannabe bloggers are covering this dynamic pricing *feature* (likely after booking their own tickets and waiting a few days to be safe). Better book soon; if UA doesn't address this by EOD tomorrow, something is majorly wrong in Willis
I think you're overstating what a deal this is. I was just checking Singapore Air awards and I could do the same itin for 95K (with better routing) instead of 60K on United. That's about a toss-up to me: Singapore's service is at least 50% better than United's. If I didn't have so many useless United miles, I'd probably book that instead.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Got one to EZE for 60K, I’m happy
cesco.g likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I think you're overstating what a deal this is. I was just checking Singapore Air awards and I could do the same itin for 95K (with better routing) instead of 60K on United. That's about a toss-up to me: Singapore's service is at least 50% better than United's. If I didn't have so many useless United miles, I'd probably book that instead.
Ever tried to change or refund a KF award? It's not such a great deal then.
bangkokiscool likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.