Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA-partner Business Awards 60K multiple destinations,BKK,KUL,HKG,CGK,MNL, .. changes?

UA-partner Business Awards 60K multiple destinations,BKK,KUL,HKG,CGK,MNL, .. changes?

Old Sep 17, 2022, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by daslax
Anyone know if it’s possible to cancel an excursionist perk segment on these itineraries without a reprice? I booked AKL-CHC as EP and it’s now much more convenient for me to fly AKL-ZQN. There’s no X space on AKL-ZQN, so no use in even trying to change, but the flight is only $100, so I’m happy to just buy a separate ticket if I can cancel the EP.
Yes since excursionist perk is a separate fare component it won't be married to any of the other segments. They just need to drop the excursionist line of flight and reissue the ticket to reflect the remaining flights you will actually be taking sans EP. Might require some manual handling if the automated pricing tools can't handle it, but it's definitely possible to do (for reference, you can also add an excursionist segment if the itinerary qualifies and it wasn't originally done at booking).
SPN Lifer, Kmxu and aquanine like this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Exclamation What to do?

Ugh. So I have to make a choice in short order and am not sure what to do... Will keep this brief.

Am flying MCT-IST-USA. TK cancelled their MCT-IST flight on the day I need. I either fly the day before (which gums up my trip) or the day after (which is really bad for me). Either way, they say there is no more TATL TK availability in J, so I'd have to find some 4-connection MS/ET solution back home via CAI/ADD,,,which I really don't want to do.

The one solution I'm able to find is a MCT-DUB-IST FlyDubai (FZ) option that would get me to IST 5 hours before my original IST-USA flight...so I would ask UA to cut out the MCT-IST leg and just make it in effect an open-jaw. This has the benefit of letting me keep the TK segments and getting me back on time (and allows me to try a new airline!). The downside, of course, is that if I have problems with FZ, UA/TK will have little sympathy if I no-show in IST.

What would you do? Is the FZ option too risky?
Old Sep 19, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by as219
Ugh. So I have to make a choice in short order and am not sure what to do... Will keep this brief.

Am flying MCT-IST-USA. TK cancelled their MCT-IST flight on the day I need. I either fly the day before (which gums up my trip) or the day after (which is really bad for me). Either way, they say there is no more TATL TK availability in J, so I'd have to find some 4-connection MS/ET solution back home via CAI/ADD,,,which I really don't want to do.

The one solution I'm able to find is a MCT-DUB-IST FlyDubai (FZ) option that would get me to IST 5 hours before my original IST-USA flight...so I would ask UA to cut out the MCT-IST leg and just make it in effect an open-jaw. This has the benefit of letting me keep the TK segments and getting me back on time (and allows me to try a new airline!). The downside, of course, is that if I have problems with FZ, UA/TK will have little sympathy if I no-show in IST.

What would you do? Is the FZ option too risky?
The safest solution is to fly MCT-IST a day earlier. You take a one-day vacation in Istanbul, instead.
The second choice is to change your originating city from MCT to DXB, where AC/LH/LX may fly to. If you can find I space on these partner flights from DXB to their respective hubs, you can get back to USA with the rest of flights in JN class.
I cannot comment on your proposed option on FZ.
Good luck.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kmxu
The safest solution is to fly MCT-IST a day earlier. You take a one-day vacation in Istanbul, instead.
The second choice is to change your originating city from MCT to DXB, where AC/LH/LX may fly to. If you can find I space on these partner flights from DXB to their respective hubs, you can get back to USA with the rest of flights in JN class.
I cannot comment on your proposed option on FZ.
Good luck.
Wow, didn't even occur to me to have a day in Istanbul then connect with the onward flight to the states. I'm slipping! Thanks Kmxu!

However, it will be a tough stopover...arriving 5:30am on the 18th, leaving 6:35am the following day. I'll have to think about this...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 12:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond , Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Seeking an advice , please !

BOS-IAH-SYD-WLG , morning SYD-WLG got canceled and automatically rebooked on the evening one with 10h55min layover instead of 2h.

Trying to figure out my options :

1. reroute : BOS-SFO-AKL-WLG , unfortunately no business availability at all for three seats on any of the 3 daily flights BOS-SFO , Jan 8th (Sunday) , only one seat available per flight

1.1. reroute BOS-EWR/DEN/IAD-SFO-AKL-WLG , it seems risky with two 1h-2h domestic connections , being Jan and likely afternoon delays in case of winter weather .

2. reroute BOS-IAH-SYD-ZQN , last segment on VA who are new United partners , two hours layover in SYD

3. reroute BOS-IAH-SYD-ZQN/CHC , last segment on ANZ , both options with two hours layover , though only CHC is less than 250 miles from original destination

Are options 2 & 3 viable at all ?

p.s. can’t depart a day later and don’t really want to leave a day early

Last edited by s777bg; Oct 1, 2022 at 1:03 am
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by s777bg

BOS-IAH-SYD-WLG , morning SYD-WLG got canceled and automatically rebooked on the evening one with 10h55min layover instead of 2h.

1. reroute : BOS-SFO-AKL-WLG , unfortunately no business availability at all for three seats on any of the 3 daily flights BOS-SFO , Jan 8th (Sunday) , only one seat available per flight

1.1. reroute BOS-EWR/DEN/IAD-SFO-AKL-WLG , it seems risky with two 1h-2h domestic connections , being Jan and likely afternoon delays in case of winter weather .

2. reroute BOS-IAH-SYD-ZQN , last segment on VA who are new United partners , two hours layover in SYD

3. reroute BOS-IAH-SYD-ZQN/CHC , last segment on ANZ , both options with two hours layover , though only CHC is less than 250 miles from original destination

I looked at X space for SYD-WLG/CHC/ZQN/AKL on January 10 (assuming that you depart from BOS on Jan. 8); there is nil. So, options 2 & 3won’t work.

Option 1a via IAD, SFO and AKL has longer connection times at IAD and SFO (~2 h), with IAD-SFO on B777-300. However, the layover at AKL (to WLG/CHC/ZQN) is long.

Just call and let the agent find options. Changing destination may work.

Good luck!
s777bg likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

You don't need award availability except for AKL-WLG in X ... and that is usually widely available. Just call and ask for the SFO/AKL re-route
Old Oct 1, 2022, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
You don't need award availability except for AKL-WLG in X ... and that is usually widely available. Just call and ask for the SFO/AKL re-route
There doesn't need to be award availability at the same fare level on UA flights ("high"/"low" buckets), but there still has to be business seats available on the flight. Since JN is a last seat availability bucket it should match the business cabin availability on the whole.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
There doesn't need to be award availability at the same fare level on UA flights ("high"/"low" buckets), but there still has to be business seats available on the flight. Since JN is a last seat availability bucket it should match the business cabin availability on the whole.
Ah yes, I forgot there is JPM ... how could I ... I am booked myself So SFO is a problem BOS-IAD-SFO should work and IAD-SFO is a 773 which is unlikely going to change due to JPM and needing J capacity into SFO. There is also space via EWR.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 12:10 am

Many thanks , everyone - will call and try to get 1.1 through IAD .
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:33 pm

I was on the phone for 53min with the most sympathetic agent ever , unfortunately we didn’t get anywhere..

I could change the destination to CHC that is within 250 miles of WLG , but zero availability from Sydney and very scarce availability from AKL (1 or 2 seats ) .

There is enough availability from AKL , but only for flights early in the morning before the SFO flight arrival or in the evening that would get us at about the same time to WLG or CHC in comparison with the Sydney departure .

Couple of things to note, because we are travelling with a minor (4 years old ) :

1. The agent said to call back on Nov 3rd when new award availability might open , in the meantime she is leaving a note in the system …

2. Even if it doesn’t open , eventually United could push Air NZ to open some for us due to 11 hours layover with a minor , but it’s a whole process and they would do that when gets rclose to departure …

Also , I was told by the agent if we end up keeping the long layover in Sydney , we are due for a compensation, either miles or electronic certificate.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I was on the phone for 53min with the most sympathetic agent ever , unfortunately we didn’t get anywhere.....
Perhaps but lots of bad information
1. The agent said to call back on Nov 3rd when new award availability might open , in the meantime she is leaving a note in the system …

2. Even if it doesn’t open , eventually United could push Air NZ to open some for us due to 11 hours layover with a minor , but it’s a whole process and they would do that when gets rclose to departure …
Neither of those are likely to happen,

Also , I was told by the agent if we end up keeping the long layover in Sydney , we are due for a compensation, either miles or electronic certificate.
And this will not happen either. No compensation for advance schedule change

Sorry to be so negative but the agent was talking nonsense

Space may or may not open, but there is no magic date and success getting partner to open space is an unicorn event.

The traveling with a 4-yr old may get you sympathy but there is no policy / practice / .... that with a 4-yr old will make any difference.
jsloan and RobOnLI like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:34 am

I also never heard before for similar practices.

To add a bit more - I was on hold twice while she was consulting a supervisor and then explaining my next steps.

To me (us) won’t be a drama the long layover ( day room , walk , etc ) , the real reason for inquiring any convenient options is that we will be in Sydney for a week around Thanksgiving and the long layover really feels like waste of time …
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist | IHG Platinum | HH Gold | MB Gold
My flight WLG-SYD-SFO had a schedule change arriving 80m later. I was able to get it re-ticketed to WLG-AKL-SFO. Not bad avoiding the ~4hr trans-Tasman flight in X. All done through United web chat, long wait time for ticketing though, like a couple of hours.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by pichalite
My flight WLG-SYD-SFO had a schedule change arriving 80m later. I was able to get it re-ticketed to WLG-AKL-SFO. Not bad avoiding the ~4hr trans-Tasman flight in X. All done through United web chat, long wait time for ticketing though, like a couple of hours.
Yes, some of us here have used schedule changes to switch to the AKL-SFO flight, reducing time in coach on the tasman flights. Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.