FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   South Florida cancellations today..... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2075001-south-florida-cancellations-today.html)

wingnuthead Apr 8, 2022 6:26 am

South Florida cancellations today.....

Not sure if anyone else is here trying to get out of South Florida to the NY area today. It seems that lots of flights were randomly cancelled this morning, and no availability at all to head north.

Complete cancellation, no new flights, can't get through by phone, website completely broken to find new flights...

This is my third time completely stranded by UA in the past 2 months...

Kmxu Apr 8, 2022 6:28 am

End of Spring break for most people.

wingnuthead Apr 8, 2022 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 34147717)
End of Spring break for most people.

Thanks for replying and soothing my wounds!....

Spring break... Not sure if that's the disease or a symptom of the disease....

Had pretty good luck with UA in the past couple of years, but lately, they have cancelled us completely, no new flights, no availability, just outright cancellation.. completely stranded. This is the third time this year.

On hold for nearly 40 minutes, website completely borked, weird....

TBD Apr 8, 2022 6:44 am

FL had some pretty substantial thunderstorms roll through last night. Surely that impacted inbound aircraft/aircrews.

wingnuthead Apr 8, 2022 7:14 am

Originally Posted by TBD (Post 34147758)
FL had some pretty substantial thunderstorms roll through last night. Surely that impacted inbound aircraft/aircrews.

Thanks also for indulging my emotional wreckage.....

United email said it was crew, United CSR said it was ATC, and website said it was weather.

I think it really was bigfoot

JimInOhio Apr 8, 2022 7:34 am

Originally Posted by wingnuthead (Post 34147826)
Thanks also for indulging my emotional wreckage.....

United email said it was crew, United CSR said it was ATC, and website said it was weather.

I think it really was bigfoot

Those can all be correct, perhaps even BigFoot. Weather can be the reason for the ATC delay which may result in crew becoming unavailable due to timing.

DELee Apr 8, 2022 7:58 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 34147877)
Those can all be correct, perhaps even BigFoot. Weather can be the reason for the ATC delay which may result in crew becoming unavailable due to timing.

Hey, even Bigfoot has to eat...

David

TerryK Apr 8, 2022 8:07 am

Originally Posted by wingnuthead (Post 34147826)
....United email said it was crew, United CSR said it was ATC, and website said it was weather.....

Those are pretty much the same thing. ATC restricted traffic flow, or ground stop, due to weather. As a result crew timed out, didn't get sufficient rest time or were out of position.

bmwe92fan Apr 8, 2022 8:49 am

Originally Posted by TerryK (Post 34147950)
Those are pretty much the same thing. ATC restricted traffic flow, or ground stop, due to weather. As a result crew timed out, didn't get sufficient rest time or were out of position.

Yes the last week has been a mess to / from Florida from the Northeast -- my wife and her friend took all day just to get to the wrong airport in Florida last weekend -- and barely made it out yesterday before it got really messy -- if they hadn't got to the airport earlier so I could switch them to an earlier flight not sure they would have made it back...

JimInOhio Apr 8, 2022 8:53 am

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan (Post 34148079)
Yes the last week has been a mess to / from Florida from the Northeast -- my wife and her friend took all day just to get to the wrong airport in Florida last weekend -- and barely made it out yesterday before it got really messy -- if they hadn't got to the airport earlier so I could switch them to an earlier flight not sure they would have made it back...

My wife has friends who were trying to get home (on Spirit, I think) from Orlando who had canceled flights and couldn't be re-accomdated for three or four days. They were able to grab about the last rental car available and drive the 1000+ miles home.

bmwe92fan Apr 8, 2022 9:05 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 34148091)
My wife has friends who were trying to get home (on Spirit, I think) from Orlando who had canceled flights and couldn't be re-accomdated for three or four days. They were able to grab about the last rental car available and drive the 1000+ miles home.

Yes Orlando has been particularly messy -- my wife couldn't get there so she got the last two seats to Tampa -- and then took an Uber the next day to Orlando....

wingnuthead Apr 8, 2022 9:33 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 34147877)

I will say, that after probably 1000 flights in my life (likely more), lately, UA simply cancelling at the last minute and not being prepared to handle the onslaught of rebookings is fairly novel in my travel history at least.

trm2 Apr 8, 2022 10:16 am

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 34147919)
Hey, even Bigfoot has to eat...

David

But United has the wrong beef jerky onboard.:)

Bliebs1977 Apr 8, 2022 11:12 am

Its been a disaster since last night. I was supposed to head out of FLL to DTW at 7:25pm and we were delayed until midnight at which point two Atlanta flights and my Detroit flight were abruptly cancelled.

The DTW flight was rescheduled for 12:30pm today (Friday the 8th) but I said screw it and stayed until Sunday.

WineCountryUA Apr 8, 2022 12:51 pm

22% inbound and 24% outbound flights delayed today at MCO
16% both directions FLL

yesterday was x2 worse,, MCO over 50% in both directions, AA had 32% delays