Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PE middle or exit row aisle?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:07 am
Original Poster

PE middle or exit row aisle?

Looking for input as I’ve not been in PE before. EWR to LAX morning flight. My confirmed seat is exist row aisle. Way back I put in a point request for PE (12,500). Seat chart shows a few middle PE seats open. I’m #5 for 3, but some of the folks ahead of me also show on the business upgrade list, so I think my PE upgrade would clear. But I am wondering if PE middle would actually be a downgrade from exit row aisle. My plan was to get the WiFi option and try to work on my laptop.

thoughts?

Thank you.
BJfly
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I would go with PP (PE). The seat is very similar domestic first seat and it's much more comfortable if you are going to work on your laptop. You also haven't tried it before so give it a shot. Maybe one of the other seats in the cabin will open up if you keep checking if someone gets upgraded. If the bulkhead middle is open I'd choose that.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The PE seat is significantly wider (no rubbing shoulders or elbows) and has more than adequate legroom. If you like to get up and wander around, then go for the aisle. But if you want to work (or watch movies) uninterrupted, go for PE. And, of course, assuming that the FAs have got the message, the food and booze is better in PE.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The PE seat is significantly wider (no rubbing shoulders or elbows) and has more than adequate legroom. If you like to get up and wander around, then go for the aisle. But if you want to work (or watch movies) uninterrupted, go for PE. And, of course, assuming that the FAs have got the message, the food and booze is better in PE.
Based on another thred on Premium Plus, do it for the hard product, not the soft product.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Option C: non exit row E+ aisle with an empty middle (which maybe the difficult to come by these days, but back rows of E+ should go out with some empty middles).
tryathlete likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by BJfly
I’m #5 for 3, but some of the folks ahead of me also show on the business upgrade list, so I think my PE upgrade would clear.
How many names are on the Polaris Biz upgrade list but not on PE upgrade list?

That should give you an indication of how many people currently have paid PE seats that would subsequently open if their upgrades to Biz do clear.

Last edited by Wooglin; Apr 3, 2022 at 4:38 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Wooglin

That should give you an indication of how many people currently have paid PE seats that would subsequently open if their upgrades to Biz do clear.
If someone is waitlisting from Y for J seat only, those pax would be on the J list only as well.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Wooglin

Yeah, there can be a lot of seat shuffling in last couple of days due to upgrades. I'd pick the PE seat and keep an eye on seat map, especially in last 48 hours. In any case, I'd take a middle PE over an exit aisle.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
ExpertFlyer seat alerts are your friend in this scenario. You can create a half dozen or so with a free account.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
If someone is waitlisting from Y for J seat only, those pax would be on the J list only as well.
I guess that's true. I hadn't considered the option that people would prefer staying in Y if their J upgrade didn't clear, but that's a possibility.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
PE > Exit Row as that middle E+ will fill-up on that route.
char777 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah, there can be a lot of seat shuffling in last couple of days due to upgrades. I'd pick the PE seat and keep an eye on seat map, especially in last 48 hours. In any case, I'd take a middle PE over an exit aisle.
middle PE bulkhead is a great seat. Nobody to wake you and you can get out easily enough when you need to. Best to me are bulkhead window.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Outcome was…

Thank you for all the data points. In the end I decided to keep my exit row aisle because the middle showed empty. Then last minute they filled it. Oh well. But I think I would have missed PE by one anyway. And then the guy in the middle next to me - well something was really, really wrong with him. Either significantly physically impaired or quite inebriated (Monday morning 8:30 am - early for that?) or both. He was sloppily spilling over both my seat and the window. It was going to be horrible. Then the flight attendant notices, tells the guy in the window “there’s one open window seat up a few rows” and 10 minutes after take off he reaccomodated the window guy and after several attempts gets the middle seat guy to move the window. I would not have wanted to trust him to operate the emergency door if it came down to that but was very very happy to have him off my lap and to get the middle seat empty. But my plan to work did not work. WiFi did not support outlook.com or my VPN. Oh well. Thank you again to all and to that flight attendant in particular!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by BJfly; Apr 10, 2022 at 4:56 am
Old Apr 9, 2022, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Why not move middle guy to the other non exit window I wonder..
Old Apr 9, 2022, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by aacharya
Why not move middle guy to the other non exit window I wonder..
Let inebriated dogs lie...

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.