Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Using Plus Points, finished 1st and 2nd first out on 12 straight upgrade waitlists

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Plus Points, finished 1st and 2nd first out on 12 straight upgrade waitlists

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat

Okay, so something is not working like I thought it would work. My wife and I have tried to use Plus Points for 12 straight flights. We have finished 1st and 2nd at the top of the waitlist on each and every flight - except 2 where only 1 of us would have cleared. On almost every flight, there have been a number of First Class "bookings" within the final 24 hours. E.g. We were recently 1st and 2nd on the waitlist going into the final day with 34 of 50 seats booked ... the remaining 16 seats gradually filled up across the 24 hour time period. This has been repeated on most flights.

I'm assuming that I'm missing something regarding how upgrades work in the real world. In the interim, I have 700 Plus Points which seem to be worthless.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Routes? Fares?

Could be a million things. Do you look at the upgrade list when it first becomes visible to see your rank?

In the current environment, getting two upgrades is not a picnic.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Routes? Fares?

Could be a million things. Do you look at the upgrade list when it first becomes visible to see your rank?

In the current environment, getting two upgrades is not a picnic.
I do look at the waitlist when it becomes available, seemingly 48 hours before the flight. It has been very common for us to start 1 and 2 on the waitlist with a lot of open (unbooked) seats, remain 1 and 2 on the waitlist across the 48 hours, and see the booked seats gradually fill up to completely full by flight time.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Some idea of routes is useful and are these normal peak travel flights? A few others are clearing, what is unusual about your routes
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
I do look at the waitlist when it becomes available, seemingly 48 hours before the flight. It has been very common for us to start 1 and 2 on the waitlist with a lot of open (unbooked) seats, remain 1 and 2 on the waitlist across the 48 hours, and see the booked seats gradually fill up to completely full by flight time.
Have you considered splitting the reservation? Sometimes if they only open up one seat for upgrade - and you are sitting there with 2 people - it will go to the first single after you….

Or you are on some really tough routes - my wife and I fly to Florida regularly from NYC and if we didn’t buy first - we wouldn’t be upgraded - the flights are that full and fares that cheap….
uanj likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Some idea of routes is useful and are these normal peak travel flights? A few others are clearing, what is unusual about your routes
Lots of East Coast to SFO, DEN, or LAX and back again. Some international flights from the West Coast hubs.

I guess I’m more perplexed with how a large number of flights with a large number of unbooked First seats are filling up as booked in the final 24 hours. As near as I can tell, we’re not being leapfrogged on the traditional waitlist.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Lots of East Coast to SFO, DEN, or LAX and back again. Some international flights from the West Coast hubs.

I guess I’m more perplexed with how a large number of flights with a large number of unbooked First seats are filling up as booked in the final 24 hours. As near as I can tell, we’re not being leapfrogged on the traditional waitlist.
Welcome to the jungle. The promise of PlusPoints far exceeds the reality of trying to use them. I've done over 100 segments since January of 2021 and have only gotten a couple of PP UGs.

My belief, from watching the waitlists of my flights closely, is that many pax are buying-up to F within 48 hours because they're not getting upgraded. However, on many of my hub-to-hub flights, F is completely booked 2 weeks out, meaning that lots of folks are just buying F outright.
uanj, seanp7, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion

Any y-up fare would book into F on a space available basis. That could explain what you are seeing
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prestonh
Any y-up fare would book into F on a space available basis. That could explain what you are seeing
Would that happen in a batch X hours out? What I’m primarily seeing is First gradually fill up in ones and twos over the last 24 hours.

The recent flight with 16 unbooked First Class seats 24 hours out where we were 1 and 2 on the waitlist for the full 48 hours was bizarre. No one boarded during GS boarding. All of 4 people boarded during 1k boarding - two of which were my wife and I. One family with 7 people and another family with 6 people in First.

I would love to use Skip the Waitlist, but across a ton of flying in the past 2 years I have not seen it offered once.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Would that happen in a batch X hours out? What I’m primarily seeing is First gradually fill up in ones and twos over the last 24 hours.

The recent flight with 16 unbooked First Class seats 24 hours out where we were 1 and 2 on the waitlist for the full 48 hours was bizarre. No one boarded during GS boarding. All of 4 people boarded during 1k boarding - two of which were my wife and I. One family with 7 people and another family with 6 people in First.

I would love to use Skip the Waitlist, but across a ton of flying in the past 2 years I have not seen it offered once.
My experience is that there are lots of folks flying in F these days without elite status. They're just cash customers who don't want to fly in Y.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My wife and I have tried to use Plus Points for 12 straight flights. We have finished 1st and 2nd at the top of the waitlist on each and every flight - except 2 where only 1 of us would have cleared.
That's a fairly remarkable string, I suppose it could just be coincidence but the odds of that would have to be awfully low.

I will say it's pretty common to sit at 1 or 2 and watch the seats fill without seeing anyone get upgraded. That's generally a combination of (i) people purchasing paid upgrades (which UA is not offering you due to the Plus Points), and (ii) paid F passengers changing onto your flight.
Originally Posted by prestonh
I seriously doubt that.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's a fairly remarkable string, I suppose it could just be coincidence but the odds of that would have to be awfully low.

I will say it's pretty common to sit at 1 or 2 and watch the seats fill without seeing anyone get upgraded. That's generally a combination of (i) people purchasing paid upgrades (which UA is not offering you due to the Plus Points), and (ii) paid F passengers changing onto your flight.

I seriously doubt that.
Very interesting. I wonder how much the paid upgrade offers are for? Some good news. My wife and I have been #3 and #4 on an upcoming trip ... and have watched First gradually fill up over the past day without any apparent changes to the upgrade list. So I guess that will break our streak of being the 1st and 2nd left off. On the second leg, however, we've been 1 and 2 again while First has filled up today.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Okay, so something is not working like I thought it would work. My wife and I have tried to use Plus Points for 12 straight flights. We have finished 1st and 2nd at the top of the waitlist on each and every flight - except 2 where only 1 of us would have cleared. On almost every flight, there have been a number of First Class "bookings" within the final 24 hours. E.g. We were recently 1st and 2nd on the waitlist going into the final day with 34 of 50 seats booked ... the remaining 16 seats gradually filled up across the 24 hour time period. This has been repeated on most flights.

I'm assuming that I'm missing something regarding how upgrades work in the real world. In the interim, I have 700 Plus Points which seem to be worthless.
That there shows how strong the PlusPoints are right now.

Good luck. Oh, and probably shift to less in-demand flight times given that non-elites and some folks flush with cash (or high credit limits) are simply buying up as UA drops the cost of buying up closer to departure.

David
Old Apr 1, 2022, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
That there shows how strong the PlusPoints are right now.

Good luck. Oh, and probably shift to less in-demand flight times given that non-elites and some folks flush with cash (or high credit limits) are simply buying up as UA drops the cost of buying up closer to departure.

David
UA should give a prize at the end of the year to the flyer with the most unused PlusPoints. I personally know a couple of folks with over 1,000. I wonder how many ua1flyer has?
Old Apr 1, 2022, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by zombietooth
UA should give a prize at the end of the year to the flyer with the most unused PlusPoints. I personally know a couple of folks with over 1,000. I wonder how many ua1flyer has?
Right now IAHMCI may still be in the lead (What I Did for 2022 UA Status, 2021 Style - FT Tales of Qual and/or Requal)

David
zombietooth likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.