Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

wife delayed in the air. who to contact for overnight accomodations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2022, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

3-31-22 Thursday MCO-ORD-DLH UA1218 SKY5347
Wife is currently in the air, delayed 3.5 hours and will miss connection and be stuck in ORD over night. The original delay was a late arriving plane, and then a hold due to weather at MCO (bummer)
Is she due any compensation for an overnight stay? Will they rebook her for tomorrows flight? I called customer service who referred me to united airport operations at ORD but no one answered (773 601 3100)
Old Mar 31, 2022, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by h0und10
Wife is currently in the air, delayed 3.5 hours and will miss connection and be stuck in ORD over night. The original delay was a late arriving plane, and then a hold due to weather at MCO (bummer)
Is she due any compensation for an overnight stay? Will they rebook her for tomorrows flight? I called customer service who referred me to united airport operations at ORD but no one answered (773 601 3100)
If the reason was weather (either for the late plane getting into MCO, or leaving MCO, UA is not on the hook for hotel). UA may proactively re-book her, but best to call to make sure. Customer service reps at the airport (or via chat) will handle any accommodation requests, not airport operations.

If you find the original plane was delayed for non-weather reasons, and could have taken off before weather restrictions at MCO, you might score accommodations or some/all reimbursement. You'd have to have the argument all lined up by looking at flight status/history of the original flight (it'll give reason for lateness) and then time at which MCO operations began to be affected. And you might get pushback. Or not.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 31, 2022 at 7:16 pm
Old Mar 31, 2022, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Have called 7 times, just rings and hangs up after a few minutes but at least I know where we stand, I will try the chat next.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If the reason was weather (either for the late plane getting into MCO, or leaving MCO, UA is not on the hook for hotel). UA may proactively re-book her, but best to call to make sure. Customer service reps at the airport (or via chat) will handle any accommodation requests, not airport operations.

If you find the original plane was delayed for non-weather reasons, and could have taken off before weather restrictions at MCO, you might score accommodations or some/all reimbursement. You'd have to have the argument all lined up by looking at flight status/history of the original flight (it'll give reason for lateness) and then time at which MCO operations began to be affected. And you might get pushback. Or not.
UA flight status will only show the reason for the most recent delay. IIRC, UA employees can look in the internal system for more history. For us that don’t have access to the UA internals, tools like Expertflyer will show this history in detail.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 9:18 pm

Thanks, Have called 7 times, just rings and hangs up after a few minutes but at least I know where we stand, I will try the chat next.
they gave you the public phone number for terminal 1 paging
Old Mar 31, 2022, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming OP is talking about UA1828. EF is showing weather as reason so UA unlikely to pick up hotel.

D FCF/MCO-ORD DELAY*ATC/WEATHER*PAX EXP
Old Mar 31, 2022, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
Assuming OP is talking about UA1828. EF is showing weather as reason so UA unlikely to pick up hotel.

D FCF/MCO-ORD DELAY*ATC/WEATHER*PAX EXP
if indeed weather, OP (or rather, OPs wife) will have to rely on any travel insurance they may have - trip delay should cover overnight. Some credit cards have this if the ticket was paid for with it.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 9:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Generally UA would prefer to work with the customer on the ground ehen specific options are known.

Took sometime to find the flight, was it UA1828 due to arrive ORD at 6:32PM? now arrived

Expertflyer reports "DELAY*ATC/WEATHER*PAX EXP"
If that is what UA claims there will be no free hotel

In the future you could proactively book a hotel and try to claim afterward with UA-- probably unsuccessfully in this case but at least you have a hotel room. If you have travel insurance or used a credit card with travel insurance that would be the next step.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 6:50 am
Original Poster

I got it squared away. Chase travel protection helped with a hotel and some food. Weather delay so no reimbursement from United, but they did get her on the next morning flight out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.