Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PremiumPlus soft product changes - March 2022?

PremiumPlus soft product changes - March 2022?

Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's crazy that they are limiting spirits in international PP when you can get spirits on a domestic express flight. How much money can that possibly be saving?

Originally Posted by HopefulTraveller
Thank you for all the useful information. I am flying PP Lon SFO in a couple of weeks and have been very confused about what was offered.

I would like to know (I asked in chat but received no answer) if you are given a bottle of water on boarding (or offered a drink). If not I`ll just make sure to carry water on on board with me.
Even when it is part of the service offering, there is no guarantee that the water will be waiting for you. In Polaris business, it's about 50-50 whether there will be water in the seat when you sit down; if not, they usually but not always give you water before the flight departs.

I never get on a flight without at least some water - you never know what's going to happen.
SPN Lifer and threecap like this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HopefulTraveller
Thank you for all the useful information. I am flying PP Lon SFO in a couple of weeks and have been very confused about what was offered.

I would like to know (I asked in chat but received no answer) if you are given a bottle of water on boarding (or offered a drink). If not I`ll just make sure to carry water on on board with me.
PDB is very unpredictable. Bring something if you need it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So I have a couple of flights for later this year i am looking at. The coach/economy fare is significantly lower than the Premium Plus fare. No issues with that as it is "Premium". Now I personally do not usually drink spirits on flights as they are dehydrating but UA is going to charge a premium the cabin - hard and soft product - should be significantly better than coach/economy. When I first flew Premium Plus the price differential was not great so was happy for TATL/TPAC flights to pay the slightly higher fare.

I first started my Premium Plus equivalent flights on TK and NZ and both were wonderful experiences. Unfortunately those products are no longer provided. NZ does have it but not the great "boomerang" seats.

I am a value buyer who uses their own money for trips. If I am paying a premium I better receive a premium product and this thread is making me rethink Premium Plus on United.

Now if PZ is available it can be a good purchase with Plus Points to Polaris.
I think this is the key with PP purchases. If it's a small premium to Economy, then you get a much better experience plus it's a much much cheaper upgrade to Business. If it's a large premium in price then it's probably not worth it unless you know it's going to be full at the back and you don't want to be squashed in by a stranger. The lack of decent service just confirms the lack of value proposition.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
That's so strange. My first thought was that this flight did not have PP but got an aircraft that had those seats. Nope - PP was sold as separate cabin.
Exactly my thought when I first read OP's post. I have flown in PP many times and this is in stark contrast to my previous experiences. I hope it is just a one-time outlier.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Dig out those old coupons

Originally Posted by mathgeek1978
Exactly my thought when I first read OP's post. I have flown in PP many times and this is in stark contrast to my previous experiences. I hope it is just a one-time outlier.
good thing I saved dozens of drink coupons from year’s past. I’ll hand them out like candy in PP next week on my way to DEL!
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by tryathlete
good thing I saved dozens of drink coupons from year’s past. I’ll hand them out like candy in PP next week on my way to DEL!
Unless, of course, the FAs also have new, and strict instructions to NOT accept expired drink coupons!
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by narvik
I don't get this one at all. I thought they were on a decent path to service improvements, and now this?
The mind boggles...
So true. I just don't get it.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Originally Posted by tryathlete
I’m still confused - I believe OP (or other posters above) said they weren’t even allowed to *purchase* additional drinks (presumably liquor or otherwise) in PP. Was I misreading that?

So is it UA policy that only one liquor drink is complimentary in PP, but unlimited beer/wine is comp’d? Or is PP limited to only one drink?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
I think so much of the public criticism has been focused on returning Polaris to an acceptable international business class standard that P-Plus has been largely neglected by UA and overlooked by the public. Polaris has seen improvements with a goal of enticing premium pax and business travel during this recovery phase, but no effort has been put into anything aft of the J cabin. Covid and competition were and will remain the excuses. No one at any level expects anything except a seat and seatbelt in economy so that more or less is what it is. But P-Plus is marketed to be more and true to form UA marketing does not match reality.

P-Plus has never been more than marketing hype IMHO. It looks impressive but to me that's as far as it goes. I for one have never been impressed by it, and by reading this thread I see my observations and experiences are not unique.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by dw
So Premium Economy service on the transatlantic JVs seems to currently be:

Star (UA/LH group): enhanced food, no spirits. Is AC part of the JV though? What’s the liquor situation there currently?

oneworld (AA, BA, IB, AY): enhanced food; not sure if there’s a uniformity with spirits

Skyteam (DL, AF): same food as Y; not sure of the beverage situation
Just flew AC last month from Europe.
AC PY has always been bad. But they still managed to make it worse recently.

The meal was whatever was leftover from J for the first meal (why bother have a menu). Beer and wine free poured from J bottles, no liquor.
One early service only. No other drinks.
Pre arrival only water, no food or snack even tho it was on said "menu".

The seat is also much less spacious than the purple United seat without adjustable head wings.

IFE comparable on both
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I think this is the key with PP purchases. If it's a small premium to Economy, then you get a much better experience plus it's a much much cheaper upgrade to Business. If it's a large premium in price then it's probably not worth it unless you know it's going to be full at the back and you don't want to be squashed in by a stranger. The lack of decent service just confirms the lack of value proposition.
With current FA staffing, morale and training, there is no possibility that a differentiated, "better than coach, semi-luxury", product will be consistently presented. My read on these reports is that the FAs are barely getting by with their coach responsibilities and don't have the time or motivation to try and meet the standards of P+.

P+ is a huge marketing fail because no one thinks it's worth a good premium over Y. Right now, Polaris is literally at the level of European carrier coach service with a nice lie-flat. I don't know why people are expecting P+ to be any better executed.
dw, SPN Lifer, halls120 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
P+ is a huge marketing fail because no one thinks it's worth a good premium over Y.
It seems to be selling well enough. As an alternative to 3-4-3 for a long-haul flight, it has it's appeal. So I'm not sure UA has much incentive to fix it (or anything else, really). This management is not internally driven to provide a quality in-flight product. Cost reduction is the consistent focus.
I don't know why people are expecting P+ to be any better executed.
Fully agree. If you buy PE, do it for the better seat, not the service.
SPN Lifer and halls120 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:19 am

With current FA staffing, morale and training, there is no possibility that a differentiated, "better than coach, semi-luxury", product will be consistently presented. My read on these reports is that the FAs are barely getting by with their coach responsibilities and don't have the time or motivation to try and meet the standards of P+.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Fully agree. If you buy PE, do it for the better seat, not the service.
Agree with the above. It’s hard for the FAs to provide good service on the 763 when there are only 3 of them to cover the P+ and Y cabins. And, sometimes these TATL flights will only have 5 FAs total!
SPN Lifer and nexus7556 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Agree with the above. It’s hard for the FAs to provide good service on the 763 when there are only 3 of them to cover the P+ and Y cabins. And, sometimes these TATL flights will only have 5 FAs total!
This was not a perspective I had considered and your point is well taken..

I think when UA was in survival mode during a pandemic we cut the airline some slack.

Businesses are there to make money.

There are low cost airlines but folks do not pay a premium. I use them for short hops in Europe and Asia. I know what I am getting and the price = product.

Similarly with Southwest. I love the flying experience with them. Product > price.

UA has basic economy (LCC) and premium products (Polaris/Premium Plus/Economy Plus) and the premium product is being jeopardized by cutting into the bone of the soft product. The FAs are critical in the delivery of the soft product. Who in Willis Tower is thinking strategically and long term?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
How can the FAs be allowed to go rogue like this?
Because United doesn't care. This should never be allowed to happen in the first place - it's absolutely impossible these FAs did not receive mandatory training on the PP product unless United now has no control, or even interest in which FA is serving which cabin. This is almost as bad as AA allowing their totally untrained new hires to 'learn on the job' and work the F cabin without having a clue what they are doing.

Inconsistency in product delivery based on the personal whim or laziness of the FA has been a hallmark of United service for years, this is nothing new. The catering issue is more troubling because this either indicates a catering order issue from another clueless department, or worse, if Y was not full, they just deliberately served Y meals to PP while either ignoring the boarded PP meals, or decided to eat the PP themselves.

If Matthew can share the product service sheet from the IFM for us to print out and show rogue FA's it would certainly be helpful - at least in telling a rogue FA that their poor service will be written up with corporate on arrival. If something onboard ends up being really bad to this extent or worse, I would even go so far as suggest that you "break your cover" as a third party QC consultant hired by United to review onboard service and tell the FA and purser the service was so far away from the expected standard, that the crew members involved would be written up in your report immediately on arrival. If that doesn't trigger some kind of immediate improvement in attitude, then we can conclude who is really in charge of the asylum.
tcdtcd likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.