Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Back Tracking" to get longer flight to EU...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2022, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

All - I have been doing this for years, and the older I get the more I appreciate having a longer flight to the EU. Since I do it monthly I've grown accustomed to the "inconvenience". I sleep incredibly well on long flights to the EU -- and incredibly poorly on flights less than 8 hours -- call it the stress of having to sleep or else -- or maybe travelling so much for all these years has taken it's toll...

So here are some upcoming flights with dates -- I live in NYC and fly from EWR and heading to Austria, London, and Frankfurt:

June 12: EWR - MUC
June 16: MUC - LHR
June 20: LHR - FRA
June 24: FRA - EWR

I can purchase the above itinerary for about $5.6k in business. What I would like to do is "back-track" to ORD, IAH, or SFO to get a nice long flight to the EU -- but when I include this routing the price jumps up to $8k -- and usually $11k. HOWEVER -- If I purchase a one way ticket in First to SFO -- I can then purchase the same itinerary originating in SFO and terminating in EWR for $5.8k. Now -- this is not always true -- I am flying next week to the UK and instead of flying direct I could backtrack -- for the same price -- so that's what I did...

I know this isn't for everyone -- but if anyone has any tips or tricks to get it all on one ticket (for obvious reasons) I'd sure appreciate it!
telemark27 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
You can backtrack on the other end with a connection in IST if you just want to fly *A not UA.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
You can backtrack on the other end with a connection in IST if you just want to fly *A not UA.
I've been using the following GF link to search -- don't see a single TK option? I changed the return to a day earlier just to check... Usually TK prices are like double normal fares for flights into the EU for me -- but always open to it and I love that lounge....

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...fu=EgYIARABGAA

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Mar 26, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Old Mar 26, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I've been using the following GF link to search -- don't see a single TK option? I changed the return to a day earlier just to check...

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...fu=EgYIARABGAA
I think that ITA Matrix will help you to find the best long routes by adding connection cities. The multiple segment search on google flight may not yield the same prices.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure about "tips and tricks" but if you have an EF subscription and you know how to read fare rules and routings, you can look up fares and figure out exactly what is and isn't allowed, and build an itinerary that follows the rules. Some people would find this boring and torturous; others enjoy it. It may or may not be for you

Also if everything is on UA I think you should be able to put it all on one ticket even if there are fare breaks (and you will still get all the protections). Most domestic round trips these days are 2 different one-way fares but they are still on the same ticket, protecting your return if there's an outbound issue and you don't go, for example.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm not sure about "tips and tricks" but if you have an EF subscription and you know how to read fare rules and routings, you can look up fares and figure out exactly what is and isn't allowed, and build an itinerary that follows the rules. Some people would find this boring and torturous; others enjoy it. It may or may not be for you

Also if everything is on UA I think you should be able to put it all on one ticket even if there are fare breaks (and you will still get all the protections). Most domestic round trips these days are 2 different one-way fares but they are still on the same ticket, protecting your return if there's an outbound issue and you don't go, for example.
I'm embarrassed to admit I've never used EF -- or ITA -- in spite of travelling so much lol.... My good friend Tom (ua1flyer) and I both use the same method -- call UA GS lol... Admittedly -- Tom get's a different number to call than me... Usually I've been able to find a way around things like this but post-COVID it's been more challenging....

I can spend about $800 more if I fly to SFO one way and then originate -- for this trip that might be what I do... I have to work once I hit the ground in Munich and head to Austria -- thus the need to be well rested... Arriving at MUC at 0730 after not great sleep isn't going to lead to a productive day for me -- please no judgment it's just come from years of experience -- and this trip is important....
Old Mar 26, 2022, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Picking some random flights from the Google link above, I can price it at $4.8k:

1 UA 30 Z 12JUN S EWR MUC 0540P 0735A 777 0 /E
2 LH 2476 Z 16JUN Q MUC LHR 0245P 0345P 32N 0 /E
3 LH 905 Z 20JUN M LHR FRA 1130A 0205P 32N 0 /E
4 UA 961 Z 23JUN Q FRA EWR 1120A 0150P 77W 0 /E
1ADT 4845.87 4845.87

This is pricing using fare rule ZNW57ERC (EWR-LON, allowing 1 stopover each way for free), which has the routing rules at the bottom of this post. In brief, I see a way the fare will allow you to connect in ORD, but IAH and SFO are disallowed as connection points. Thus, I can price something like:

1 UA 323 Z 12JUN S EWR ORD 0123P 0255P 739 0 /E
1 UA 953 Z 12JUN S ORD MUC 0610P 0945A 789 0 /E
1ADT 4850.37 4850.37

But if you try to route via IAH, this fare doesn't appear to combine with normal one-way domestic fares, so you end up having to buy up to full J to pull it off.

1. EWR-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-ATL/BOS/CHI/CLT/DTT/EWR/FMY/
MIA/NYC/ORL/PHL/TPA/WAS-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-YHZ/YOW/
YUL/YYZ-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-AMS/ATH/BCN/BDO/BER/BOD/
BRU/BUD/BUH/CPH/DUB/DUS/EDI/FRA/GLA/GVA/LIS/LON/LYS/MAD/
MAN/MIL/MRS/MUC/NAP/NCE/OPO/PAR/PDL/PMI/PMO/PRG/REK/ROM/
SNN/STO/TCI/TLS/VCE/VIE/WAW/ZAG/ZRH-AC/EN/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/
UA/WK-BER/BRU/CGN/DUS/FRA/GVA/HAM/MUC/NUE/STR/VIE/ZRH-AC/
EN/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-LON
2. EWR-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-ATL/BOS/CHI/CLT/DTT/EWR/FMY/
YUL/YYZ-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-AMS/BHX/DUB/EDI/GLA/LON/
MAN/PAR/SNN-EI/UA-LON
3. EWR-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-ATL/BOS/CHI/CLT/DTT/EWR/FMY/
YUL/YYZ-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-LON
4. EWR-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-ATL/BOS/CHI/CLT/DTT/EWR/FMY/
MIA/NYC/ORL/PHL/TPA/WAS/YHZ/YOW/YUL/YYZ-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/
UA/WK-YHZ/YOW/YUL/YYZ-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-AMS/ATH/BCN/
BDO/BER/BOD/BRU/BUD/BUH/CPH/DUB/DUS/EDI/FRA/GLA/GVA/LIS/
LON/LYS/MAD/MAN/MIL/MRS/MUC/NAP/NCE/OPO/PAR/PDL/PMI/PMO/
PRG/REK/ROM/SNN/STO/TCI/TLS/VCE/VIE/WAW/ZAG/ZRH-AC/EN/EW/
LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-BER/BRU/CGN/DUS/FRA/GVA/HAM/MUC/NUE/STR/
VIE/ZRH-AC/EN/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-LON
5. EWR-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-ATL/BOS/CHI/CLT/DTT/EWR/FMY/
UA/WK-YHZ/YOW/YUL/YYZ-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-AMS/BHX/DUB/
EDI/GLA/LON/MAN/PAR/SNN-EI/UA-LON
6. EWR-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-ATL/BOS/CHI/CLT/DTT/EWR/FMY/
UA/WK-YHZ/YOW/YUL/YYZ-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-LON
7. EWR-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-CHI/EWR/NYC/WAS-AC/EW/LH/LX/
OS/SN/UA/WK-ATL/BOS/CHI/CLT/DTT/EWR/FMY/MIA/NYC/ORL/PHL/
TPA/WAS-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-YHZ/YOW/YUL/YYZ-AC/EW/LH/
LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-AMS/ATH/BCN/BDO/BER/BOD/BRU/BUD/BUH/CPH/
DUB/DUS/EDI/FRA/GLA/GVA/LIS/LON/LYS/MAD/MAN/MIL/MRS/MUC/
NAP/NCE/OPO/PAR/PDL/PMI/PMO/PRG/REK/ROM/SNN/STO/TCI/TLS/
VCE/VIE/WAW/ZAG/ZRH-AC/EN/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-BER/BRU/
CGN/DUS/FRA/GVA/HAM/MUC/NUE/STR/VIE/ZRH-AC/EN/EW/LH/LX/OS/
SN/UA/WK-LON
8. EWR-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-CHI/EWR/NYC/WAS-AC/EW/LH/LX/
LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-AMS/BHX/DUB/EDI/GLA/LON/MAN/PAR/SNN-EI/UA-
LON
9. EWR-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-CHI/EWR/NYC/WAS-AC/EW/LH/LX/
LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-LON
10. EWR-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-YHZ/YOW/YUL/YYZ-AC/EW/LH/LX/
OS/SN/UA/WK-AMS/ATH/BCN/BDO/BER/BOD/BRU/BUD/BUH/CPH/DUB/
DUS/EDI/FRA/GLA/GVA/LIS/LON/LYS/MAD/MAN/MIL/MRS/MUC/NAP/
NCE/OPO/PAR/PDL/PMI/PMO/PRG/REK/ROM/SNN/STO/TCI/TLS/VCE/
VIE/WAW/ZAG/ZRH-AC/EN/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-BER/BRU/CGN/
DUS/FRA/GVA/HAM/MUC/NUE/STR/VIE/ZRH-AC/EN/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/
UA/WK-LON
11. EWR-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-YHZ/YOW/YUL/YYZ-AC/EW/LH/LX/
OS/SN/UA/WK-AMS/BHX/DUB/EDI/GLA/LON/MAN/PAR/SNN-EI/UA-
LON
12. EWR-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-YHZ/YOW/YUL/YYZ-AC/EW/LH/LX/
OS/SN/UA/WK-LON
13. EWR-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-YHZ/YOW/YUL/YYZ-AC/EW/LH/LX/
OS/SN/UA/WK-YHZ/YOW/YUL/YYZ-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-AMS/
ATH/BCN/BDO/BER/BOD/BRU/BUD/BUH/CPH/DUB/DUS/EDI/FRA/GLA/
GVA/LIS/LON/LYS/MAD/MAN/MIL/MRS/MUC/NAP/NCE/OPO/PAR/PDL/
PMI/PMO/PRG/REK/ROM/SNN/STO/TCI/TLS/VCE/VIE/WAW/ZAG/ZRH-
AC/EN/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-BER/BRU/CGN/DUS/FRA/GVA/HAM/
MUC/NUE/STR/VIE/ZRH-AC/EN/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-LON
14. EWR-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-YHZ/YOW/YUL/YYZ-AC/EW/LH/LX/
OS/SN/UA/WK-YHZ/YOW/YUL/YYZ-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-AMS/
BHX/DUB/EDI/GLA/LON/MAN/PAR/SNN-EI/UA-LON
15. EWR-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-YHZ/YOW/YUL/YYZ-AC/EW/LH/LX/
OS/SN/UA/WK-YHZ/YOW/YUL/YYZ-AC/EW/LH/LX/OS/SN/UA/WK-LON
Old Mar 26, 2022, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amislove
Picking some random flights from the Google link above, I can price it at $4.8k:

1 UA 30 Z 12JUN S EWR MUC 0540P 0735A 777 0 /E
1ADT 4845.87 4845.87

This is pricing using fare rule ZNW57ERC (EWR-LON, allowing 1 stopover each way for free), which has the routing rules at the bottom of this post. In brief, I see a way the fare will allow you to connect in ORD, but IAH and SFO are disallowed as connection points. Thus, I can price something like:

1 UA 323 Z 12JUN S EWR ORD 012
3P 0255P 739 0 /E
1 UA 953 Z 12JUN S ORD MUC 0610P 0945A 789 0 /E
1ADT 4850.37 4850.37

But if you try to route via IAH, this fare doesn't appear to combine with normal one-way domestic fares, so you end up having to buy up to full J to pull it off.
Thank you and Yes -- that's clearly the issue -- but for my flights to the UK it was allowed -- must be how they build the fares -- and they forget someone may try to do this lol... Taking a Polaris 777 to SFO to end up with an 11 hours lfight and arrive ready to go may seem crazy to some -- but to me it makes all the difference.... Can't wait to see the looks at entry to the EWR PL....
tcdtcd and clkc86 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
When I lived in the northeast, I would backtrack as far as Texas for the specific purpose of catching a longer eastbound TATL flight (e.g., BOS-DFW-LHR). I never backtracked all the way to the west coast, but to each their own!
Old Mar 27, 2022, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
I think that ITA Matrix will help you to find the best long routes by adding connection cities. The multiple segment search on google flight may not yield the same prices.
The problem is that routes OP wants to take are not allowed on a single fare and ITA will not be able to get around that. The cheaper fares generally have fare combination restrictions (they will typically say "no side trips permitted" in Combination section of fare rules), and can't be combined on a single ticket and have to be booked on separate tickets. ITA will simply upfare to whatever fares permit combinations together on a single ticket. While ITA will try to fare out the best deals it can on a single ticket, the cheapest options in this case will likely require booking as separate tickets.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 27, 2022 at 8:21 am
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Generally, SFO/LAX/DEN won't work. I often buy BOS-IAH-XXX for exactly the same reason ... more sleep. IAH seems to be the best from the East coast and fare rules seem to allow it for UA (not LH strangely enough).
Santander likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
Generally, SFO/LAX/DEN won't work. I often buy BOS-IAH-XXX for exactly the same reason ... more sleep. IAH seems to be the best from the East coast and fare rules seem to allow it for UA (not LH strangely enough).
Yes -- but for some reason on these flights IAH is not allowed -- will keep looking!
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
When I lived in the northeast, I would backtrack as far as Texas for the specific purpose of catching a longer eastbound TATL flight (e.g., BOS-DFW-LHR). I never backtracked all the way to the west coast, but to each their own!
I used to do it all the time, too, including SFO. Then, in the past couple of years, the fare rules changed and it's no longer just a little extra for that kind of routing, but gobs extra.

Now I'm limited to routing through EWR/IAD/ORD and the eastbound TATL leg isn't nearly as pleasant.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Smile

OMG, I'm just thrilled to know that that there are other ppl out there like me. I'm honestly tired of coming up w/ excuses to explain to ppl why I want to go to IAH or ORD to get to XXXX in Europe or So. America. Wait "you live in DC but you're flying to FLL then to ORD to get to xxx" OMG, I'm so happy for this thread! Oh yea, and as much as it is for increasing the flight time for sleep, I MAINLY do it to save $$$. I use (just about) any East Coast city as a beginning and end point and use a LCC to "position" to the desired city. Not for everyone I know....... Safe travels to all!!
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
I also hate short overnight flights to Europe — no chance in hell I'm getting any sleep.

However, my preferred workaround is to take one of the few daytime flights from the east coast to LHR, traveling onward from there as needed. UA has options out of EWR and (I think) IAD.

Connecting onward the same day can be difficult; usually I'm fine spending a day or two in London as I have a good friend there, but even a LHR hotel room and a next day flight onward makes for a better night's sleep than any airplane bed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.